• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Sign Sol Campbell

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
TheEmirateDon said:
Klaus Daimler said:
Sol was free this window though. Flamini would likely cost somewhere around £10 million to sign - if Milan even are interested in discussing it.
Would you say that's too much? Personally, provided Arsène's had a good look at him, I wouldn't mind having him back at that price.
I wouldn't say it's too high a price for a player of Flamini's stature, no, but I do think it's too much to pay for someone who ****ed off for free a year and a half ago. You gotta have some principles as a club, otherwise you'll just end up being a constant laughing stock like Tottenham. Flamini put himself in this position even if it's a damn shame seeing him getting mistreated at Milan.

Besides we've got Song now. And Denilson, Diaby and Ramsey are all coming along nicely for that second central midfield position next to Cesc.

TheEmirateDon

Gurgen said:
I would. Song is already twice the player Flamini ever was. Don't see why we would want him here.
I agree Song's untouchable at the moment, but I do think having someone like Flamini as his backup or competition for Denilson would vastly improve our squad. Perhaps 10m is a bit much, but anything around the 7m mark and I'd be all for it.

dreamLord

Established Member
What's the point in having him as a backup? Do you think he's going to be happy sitting on the bench.... He'll ask for even more money for being 2nd.

progman07

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
TheEmirateDon said:
Klaus Daimler said:
Sol was free this window though. Flamini would likely cost somewhere around £10 million to sign - if Milan even are interested in discussing it.
Would you say that's too much? Personally, provided Arsène's had a good look at him, I wouldn't mind having him back at that price.
I wouldn't say it's too high a price for a player of Flamini's stature, no, but I do think it's too much to pay for someone who f*d off for free a year and a half ago. You gotta have some principles as a club, otherwise you'll just end up being a constant laughing stock like Tottenham. Flamini put himself in this position even if it's a damn shame seeing him getting mistreated at Milan.

Besides we've got Song now. And Denilson, Diaby and Ramsey are all coming along nicely for that second central midfield position next to Cesc.
Don't forget we also have Galindo. :wink:

By the way, it's really hard to decide on Flamini. He did **** off, but we were going to sell him to Birmingham the summer before, if we had offered him a contract earlier than the middle of his last season, he might have stayed...

AliBabaBrewer

It's the first time in nearly 20 years Arsenal have resigned a player, and yet the floodgates have opened!! lol

I don't think Wenger will resign another player for as long as he's here, but if he were, I think it'd be Hleb (Would suit our new system perfectly, and Barcelona don't really want him) or Henry (Club legend, said he wants to come back one day in whatever capacity. Might come back with eye to coaching)

P.S.
AliBabaBrewer said:
With pretty much all the numbers between 1 and 50 taken, aside from 25, 26, 29 and 31 taken, I could actually see a 26 or 31 on the cards.
Get in!

TheEmirateDon

Klaus: Fair enough, I see where you're coming from, but one of the reasons we've struggled in the past is because we've placed too much responsibility on the shoulders of our youngster. We can't expect Denilson to perform consistently in what is only his second season playing regular first team football, which is why I'd be in favour of bringing Flamini back. Not only would he share the burden with Denilson, but he'd also provide adequate cover for Song.
dreamLord said:
What's the point in having him as a backup? Do you think he's going to be happy sitting on the bench.... He'll ask for even more money for being 2nd.
Who said he'd only be used as a backup though? I said he'd be a good backup to Song and an adequate replacement for Denilson. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him take a pay cut if it meant increasing his chances of going to the World Cup.

Biggus

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
TheEmirateDon said:
Klaus Daimler said:
I wouldn't say it's too high a price for a player of Flamini's stature, no, but I do think it's too much to pay for someone who f*d off for free a year and a half ago. You gotta have some principles as a club, otherwise you'll just end up being a constant laughing stock like Tottenham. Flamini put himself in this position even if it's a damn shame seeing him getting mistreated at Milan.

Agreed Klaus it was a damn shame and not all Matt's fault, anyway it probably will never happen.

Freagle

I'd take Flamini on loan to be honest. He wants first team football and the world cup and we need someone to cover for song adequately. After that he can buzz off back to Milan. It's a win-win situation really, we would have depth and have a good chance for him to recover his old Arsenal form.

As for Sol, it scares me that our back-ups are none other than Sol and Tweety. Granted, they have the experience but can they actually compete against top clubs? Still skeptic...

xcdude24

Established Member
Think people are forgetting that we desperately lack depth in the CM spot- Flamini would be perfect cover for song. It's a whole other story as to whether or not he'd actually want to sit the bench, but the law of Arsenal injuries suggests that Song's due for a long-term injury sooner rather than later.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Letting a player go on a free then signing him back for 10 millions is something Sp*rs would do. Not that I wouldnt have him back.

N!

Alfonso said:
Saw a clip of Campbell playing against West Ham. His arse is bigger than Jlos.

15438_186987629758_186985414758_275.jpg

scytheavatar

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
Flamini would be a pointless signing. He and Song wouldn't be able to play in the side together. I agree that in many aspects Song is a far superior player then Flamini.

Someone please explain to me

(1) In what way Song is far superior to Flamini
(2) Why Song and Flamini wouldn't be able to play side by side

Flamini was quite a complete midfielder, able to attack, pass and defend reasonably well, so I don't see why a Song/Flamini/Cesc midfield wouldn't work.

kamikaze80

Established Member
song is better than flamini in the holding role. but i dont think anyone is advocating bringing flamini back for that. he can be backup to song and would be competition for diaby and ramsey for the other CM spot. he'd also bring tenacity and leadership, along with his defensive attributes, to CM.

for now, he'd get playing time in song's absence. i think he'd be a terrific pickup.

scytheavatar

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
song is better than flamini in the holding role. but i dont think anyone is advocating bringing flamini back for that. he can be backup to song and would be competition for diaby and ramsey for the other CM spot. he'd also bring tenacity and leadership, along with his defensive attributes, to CM.

for now, he'd get playing time in song's absence. i think he'd be a terrific pickup.

Again, why would he be "competition for diaby and ramsey"? I know that Diaby has been doing very well recently and deserves recognition for that, but Flamini still offers far more to our midfield than Diaby. People seem to have forgotten how good Flamini was for us in 2007/2008. For half a season he was a powerhouse and one of the best midfielders in the league.

Having said that I would be skeptic about the prospects of him returning, he's on a huge wage in Milan and I doubt he'll be willing to take a pay cut.

OneProudGooner

Established Member
Although it's a strange signing (re-signing Vieira made more sense), I hope Sol makes a good account of himself again this time around.
He isn't as athletic anymore nor has he got the recovery pace that made him one of the most complete defenders in the world but he is still a very intelligent defender.
I'm sure he will do fine for us when he's called upon, it's a long tough season and his experience will help.

Regardless of what happens on his return hopefully people will remember him for his previous successful stint winning two Premier League and FA Cup medals aswell as almost scoring the winner in a Champions League Final.

On another note I would love Flamini back but like everyone else can't see it happening he didn't bring back Paddy Vieira why would he bring Flamini?
Flamini's range of passing, energy and determination would make us a formidable side but it would kill the progression of our collection of central midfielders still in Jedi training .. even though we need another DM.

P.S It seems Sol is getting Justin Hoyte's old number 31 when he was with us, I'm sure he used to have the number 23 but now it'a Arshavin's.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom