• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Tactics Talk

Giroud

Established Member
Our corners, free kicks, crossing and long shots needs to be taken seriously look at.

It indicates that we only train short passing and movements. Which is weird, because there are many patches in game where we struggle at these.

Corners, free kicks, crosses and long shots aren't effective ways of scoring. For example, approximately 5% of direct free kicks result in goals, 3% of shots outside the box go in and 8% of headers outside the 6 yard box go in.

The best teams don't focus on training players to score from range or practice lots of crossing for those reasons. So I wouldn't criticise Wenger for coaching his Arsenal teams to create chances through more effective short passing methods.

Corners, free kicks, crosses and long shots aren't effective ways of scoring. For example, approximately 5% of direct free kicks result in goals, 3% of shots outside the box go in and 8% of headers outside the 6 yard box go in.

The best teams don't focus on training players to score from range or practice lots of crossing for those reasons. So I wouldn't criticise Wenger for coaching his Arsenal teams to create chances through more effective short passing methods.

We still do corners, free-kicks and crosses. And yeah we are trying a lot of long shots which majority are ****.

We need to be more successful at these.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm intrigued now that Coquelin is injured for 3 weeks. When Wenger stumbled across a Cazorla Coquelin midfield I genuinely believe very few people thought it would function as it did. Moving forward with our current injuries we have two options. Revert to a 4 -3-3 and play Xhaka Ramsey and Ox/Iwobi or play Xhaka and Ramsey as a 2.

I'm still of the opinion that our players suit a 4-3-3 far more than a 4-2-3-1.

----------------------Xhaka-----------
---------Ramsey-------------Iwobi/OX
Özil----------------Perez------------Alexis

Id like to see how that would operate as when going forward it basically reverts to a diamond with Iwobi in more of a central role and Özil behind Perez and Alexis allowing us to cope with the press. Perez really deserves a run in the team, his movement is exceptional and his link up with Alexis is notable.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I have a bad feeling the next match formation is going to be something like this formation

Alexis---Giroud---Ramsey/Özil
---------Ramsey/Özil-----

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

When Welbz and Theo are back, time to drop Giroud and put Alexis back up top

Welbeck -- Alexis -- Walcott

Excellent front 3 for suffocating the lights out of the opposition :drool::drool::drool:

jaesyn

I don't think formation is the problem at all and change formations won't solve our fundamental tactical problems in any way.

The focus of the modern tactical game right now is on the transition phase. What do you do the seconds after you or the opponent loses the ball. That is the area we are unorganized as Wenger has never focused on the transition phase of the game since that falls under his freestyle/improvisation philosophy.

We see this many times when Sanchez + 1 or 2 players press and the rest of the team either falls back leaving big gaps or just lolly gags. Wenger very obviously does not give the type of transitional play training that the younger breed of managers like Klopp and Pochettino focus on.

Aevi

Hale End FC

Excellent front 3 for suffocating the lights out of the opposition :drool::drool::drool:
More like that attack will lose the ball every time. You need a player with ability on the ball in there, not just a ton of runners... unless Welbeck and Walcott act as inverted wingers/strikers and Alexis drops back more.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

More like that attack will lose the ball every time. You need a player with ability on the ball in there, not just a ton of runners... unless Welbeck and Walcott act as inverted wingers/strikers and Alexis drops back more.

?

Welbeck has excellent ball retention and passing statistics in the final third - it's literally his biggest strength along with his athleticism. The only person with limited ability on the ball in that 3 is Theo.

Aevi

Hale End FC
?

Welbeck has excellent ball retention and passing statistics in the final third - it's literally his biggest strength along with his athleticism. The only person with limited ability on the ball in that 3 is Theo.
Those numbers are probably attributed to his workrate bringing him deeper, where he has more options and less pressure on him. I rate Welbeck, but his ability on the ball isn't that much to write home about. I'm talking someone who's good enough to be a playmaker along with the CAM. And I don't doubt Alexis' ability, but as the main man up front I want balls coming into him and not the other way around. Unless the other two act as the end of the funnel, though that's not what your formation shows.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Whats with all this welbeck love lately, all dribble no end product, i was really quite shocked when we bought him, never mind we did also get thier cream of the crop defender silvestre to...

Sykes

I'd put Perez in instead of Theo...talk about press machine..

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

So we've given up on Alexis up top because of the scorpion king ?

Who knows? Tho let's not forget that even with his goals against Ludogorets, United and Sunderland in a period of a few weeks Wenger still didn't start Giroud so he seemed pretty dedicated to Alexis as a CF back then.

I think it's been more Walcott's injury that's changed things, I think Wenger believed Walcott at RW was essentially to Alexis at CF as Walcott offers a threat in behind when Alexis drops deep (which he does a lot). Perhaps Perez or Welbeck could fill Walcott's (and Walcott himself should be back soon) role which enable Alexis to go back to CF. I don't think Wenger's ideal lineup has Alexis at LW with Giroud back up front though, Wenger clearly went into this season wanting Alexis to play as the CF with Giroud as his super sub.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Whats with all this welbeck love lately, all dribble no end product, i was really quite shocked when we bought him, never mind we did also get thier cream of the crop defender silvestre to...

Numerous reasons.
  1. It is partly just his reputation growing in his absence.
  2. He comes across as a great lad.
  3. It's also partly because his opportunities in his first season were limited to certain roles and this and last by injury. His second season was always expected to be the one where he would show what he could do.
  4. Nobody likes to see a player injured, especially twice in a row. Unless it's Debuchy and his replacement turns out to be better than him.
  5. He seems a bit of an underdog at Arsenal. Remember the negativity when he was rumoured to be signing? People thought it was a joke.
  6. He offers something different from the other players which people like.
  7. People associate him with big goals against Man Utd and Leicester and his very uncontrived joy and celebration of that Old Trafford goal endeared him to supporters. It was a pretty excellent goal too and probably the most important towards only the secodn trophy since in about 10 years.
  8. Say what you like about Welbeck's limitations, it always feels like he might make something happen. He's often close to something brilliant, even though it rarely comes to anything. The way he roasted Danny Rose (who just stopped running for some reason) gets forgotten because Sp**s ended up winning that game.
  9. Finally, there are his competitors. People deep down have always seen his main competitors for a place as Giroud and Walcott. The former's lack of pace and agility make him unenjoyable to watch play, the latter's limited technical ability make him unenjoyable to watch.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
I think one thing we don't work on a lot is defensive partnerships, we seem to focus more on the individual, how many times in defense do we see someone being where they shouldn't or having to cover two players at the same time?

To me this all boils down to lack of teamwork, the players don't seem to know each other at times, don't know where their teammate is or what they're going to do, these are things you need to learn in order to form a good partnership, it's all about trust and being there for each other.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale has agreed to join Newcastle this summer [Sky Sports News]

Latest posts

Top Bottom