• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v. Sunderland [League - 21 Feb 2009 15:00]

atmosphere

I agree that Sunderland will hope for a draw or try to nick it late on so will play with 10 men behind the ball and just Jones up top.

As a result I think if Djourou is fit, he must start to counteract Jones' height and strength.

If Arshavin is to start (and I really hope he does) then Nasri will have to go right and we will want to get an early goal so to take advantage of Arshavin's passing (I think he'll only play 60-70mins if he starts), we should start with Eduardo and Bendtner.

The team I'd like to see would look like this, subs in brackets.

--------------Almunia--------------

Sagna----Djourou---Gallas----Clichy

----------Song-----Denilson--------

Nasri---------------Arshavin(Vela, 65)

---Bendtner------Eduardo(RVP 60)----

sabret00the

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Almunia
Sagna - Touré - Gallas - Clichy
Nasri - ? - Arshavin - Vela
van Persie - Eduardo

Either Song or Denilson instead of ? is fine with me.
:lol:

The central midfield pairing will be the same one that it's been for weeks. Arshavin will either start the game up top with van Persie or on the right wing. Dudu will be limited to an hour again if he starts and could make way for either Vela or Bendtner.

otfgoon

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Almunia
van Persie - Eduardo

Why risk moving away from the central midfield system thats solidified our defence for the last 9 games?

atmosphere

sabret00the said:
Arshavin will either start the game up top with van Persie or on the right wing. Eduardo will be limited to an hour again if he starts and could make way for either Vela or Bendtner.

Aren't you the man in the know?

sabret00the

Established Member
atmosphere said:
sabret00the said:
Arshavin will either start the game up top with van Persie or on the right wing. Eduardo will be limited to an hour again if he starts and could make way for either Vela or Bendtner.

Oh, that's what they're calling common sense now.

atmosphere

sabret00the said:
atmosphere said:
sabret00the said:

Common sense would dictate that you shouldn't make declarations on something so un-common sense like as Wenger's team choices.

ivansen

Almunia

Sagna - Toure - Gallas - Clichy

Nasri - Denilson - Song - Arshavin

RvP - Bendtner

Is the lineup I think Wenger will use.

We'll win this 3-0. We'll get rid of our frustrations.

sabret00the

Established Member
atmosphere said:
sabret00the said:

Common sense would dictate that you shouldn't make declarations on something so un-common sense like as Wenger's team choices.
So Wenger's going to rip apart his midfield in order to accommodate someone he's said can "either play in the hole or on the wings" and then what? shuffle the team around to make said accommodation? Or is he most likely to slip the new recruit into the glaringly vacant space which said player fits perfectly.

You guys are ridiculous.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
otfgoon said:
Klaus Daimler said:
Almunia
van Persie - Eduardo

Why risk moving away from the central midfield system thats solidified our defence for the last 9 games?
You mean Song and Denilson, Song and Diaby or Denilson and Diaby? Or Denilson and Nasri, perhaps? We haven't had a consistent central midfield system since Cesc broke.

sabre: I thought Vela was excellent on the left wing against Cardiff (yes, admittedly - against Cardiff; but isn't that the very reason why people are advocating for Eduardo to start right now?). I'd like to see him get the chance again. And Arshavin is fully capable of playing all over the attacking midfield anyway. We need more creativity and more goal chances.

TomasCR

Established Member

Don´t think Klaus was being serious actually, there is no way Arshavin could play as a CM, has he ever played there before?

It´ll be Denilson and unfortunately Song.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
TomasCR said:

Don´t think Klaus was being serious actually, there is no way Arshavin could play as a CM, has he ever played there before?
I was! And yes he can play the role as an attacking central midfielder very well. I know he probably won't start there but that's what I like to see against Sunderland all available options considered.

hesham

Established Member
It was said before the Sp**s game that he has been playing in the RM position in training.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I think actually Wenger wont start Arshavin, I think Arshavin might come on minute 60th.

I expect this formation.

Almunia
Sagna
Djourou
Toure
Clichy
Eboue
Denilson
Song
Nasri
Vpersie
Bendtner

I hope Wenger will play Arshavin from minute 1 so we all can see what he can offer us, but I dont think he will do it (Wenger).

2-1 for us.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
hesham: I think he'll play on the right wing as well when the team is back at full capacity. Don't really fancy moving Nasri around.

otfgoon

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
otfgoon said:
Klaus Daimler said:
Almunia
van Persie - Eduardo

You mean Song and Denilson, Song and Diaby or Denilson and Diaby? Or Denilson and Nasri, perhaps? We haven't had a consistent central midfield system since Cesc broke.

You're missing the point, all of those guys have taken a defensive, or at the very least conservative approach to to the position.

Putting Arshavin there means that goes out the window.

General

Established Member
sabret00the said:
atmosphere said:
sabret00the said:

Well Sabre is right. Wenger is not going to destabilise the CM pairing of Song/Denilson (assuming Diaby is not fit) just to accommodate Arsh when there's a glaring hole elsewhere to be filled i.e. Eboue's position. He is almost certainly bound to play on either wing should he makes an appearance.

On the game itself, we all know what to expect from Sunderland - ten men behind the ball and a lot of hoofings to Jones hence we need an aerially competent CB in Djourou and a lot of movement up top. I'd go with Robin and either Vela or Edie. As well as Bentdner did against Cardiff, it was the movement of those two that caused the most damage.

progman07

Established Member
Almunia

Sagna Djourou Gallas Clichy

Nasri Denilson Song Arshavin

RvP Eduardo/Vela

If Eboue/Diaby starts ahead of Arshavin/Eduardo/Vela, I will throw the TV out through the window.

atmosphere

sabret00the said:
atmosphere said:
sabret00the said:

So Wenger's going to rip apart his midfield in order to accommodate someone he's said can "either play in the hole or on the wings" and then what? shuffle the team around to make said accommodation? Or is he most likely to slip the new recruit into the glaringly vacant space which said player fits perfectly.

You guys are ridiculous.

You're being ridiculous. All I was saying is that you can't say for sure exactly what he's going to do. I wasn't saying any of the stuff that you've accused me of.

algunner

Arshavin will play every premierleague and FA cup match from now until the end of the season. It simple and makes sense... no one should tell me he is not match fit because he has been training the last 1 month in Dubai and here at home. We have 2 home league matches and He should be good enough to settle with the team and win us games athome against Sunderland and Fulham...we paid 15 mil and he is the highest wage paid in the team. Unless he is injured the guy should be good enough to start every league and FA cup match as he is not involved in the CL which are a midweek games. We have been good enough on defense lately and we need is an offensive winger which is why he was bought as an alternative to Nasri/Eboue. In my understanding Eduardo and Arshavin should play everyweekend because they are experienced and intelligient enough to make a difference upfront. We sooo need some smart players because right now we are butch of running headless chickens with Eboue, Bentdner, Adebayor, Diaby, Song and Denilson. We currently have Nasri, RVP, Eduardo and Arshavin to give us a more intelligient movement with the ball comming soon FAB and Rosicky and we will be back in business. Wenger better play Arshavin soon even 60 min is more enough to start with.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom