• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
With most transfer fees paid in instalments, I think we could do some damage this summer. 50 ish million pumped in plus sales could get us towards 150m on transfer funds. That's 3 world class players.

The phrase "world class" is used too much. The problem with the modern market is there's a surplus of money but a finite amount of talent, so inevitably large fees were being spent on players who weren't worth it and it's skewed people's perceptions of what world class actually is. As a rule 50m doesn't get you a world class player these days.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The phrase "world class" is used too much. The problem with the modern market is there's a surplus of money but a finite amount of talent, so inevitably large fees were being spent on players who weren't worth it and it's skewed people's perceptions of what world class actually is. As a rule 50m doesn't get you a world class player these days.

Ready made world class players are pretty much all 80m+ these days.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You feel we need to spend big just to get/stay ahead of the likes of Leicester/Wolves.

City and Liverpool are levels ahead whilst United and Chelsea will close the gap to those two.

5th place is our ceiling unless one of the above have a poor season.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
You feel we need to spend big just to get/stay ahead of the likes of Leicester/Wolves.

City and Liverpool are levels ahead whilst United and Chelsea will close the gap to those two.

Leicester wolves took advantage of us man utd and Sp**s having poor season wolves very likely will finish with less than 60 points that is not special season even Leicester will finish the season with less 70 points if us and manutd played the same Way we did now at 1st half of season we could been well clear. I don't think big spending necessarily just add players will improve your squad and be smart doesn't need to be luxury signings.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Leicester wolves took advantage of us man utd and Sp**s having poor season wolves very likely will finish with less than 60 points that is not special season even Leicester will finish the season with less 70 points if us and manutd played the same Way we did now at 1st half of season we could been well clear. I don't think big spending necessarily just add players will improve your squad and be smart doesn't need to be luxury signings.

Agree with this. I think Partey and a playmaker allows us to get top 4.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Agree with this. I think Partey and a playmaker allows us to get top 4.

Can we actually do that though. Heard from a guy, Scott Willis, who analysed the finances, that the club probably has like 20-30m to spend this summer, maybe more with sales. That might be a conservative estimate, but it's clear the club doesn't have the same budget as Chelsea or Utd.

The club might be able to do a deal for Partey, but then how do we buy a playmaker? People have talked about Grealish, he'd cost 40m at least. We're not getting Partey and then spending 40m on Grealish. Apart from that Szoboszlai kid, who's going to Milan, I don't see many playmakers available for modest fees.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Can we actually do that though. Heard from a guy, Scott Willis, who analysed the finances, that the club probably has like 20-30m to spend this summer, maybe more with sales. That might be a conservative estimate, but it's clear the club doesn't have the same budget as Chelsea or Utd.

The club might be able to do a deal for Partey, but then how do we buy a playmaker? People have talked about Grealish, he'd cost 40m at least. We're not getting Partey and then spending 40m on Grealish. Apart from that Szoboszlai kid, who's going to Milan, I don't see many playmakers available for modest fees.
We don't have the financial powers like city manutd abd Chelsea but we clearly we can spend 100m every summer without having problems we already done that and spend like 250m last 3 summers despite media telling us we have very little to spend. Also kroenke just invest into club last dew days

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

If for example we do have 20-30m to spend I think that's a brilliant starting point.

Partey fee would have to be paid in full unless we can strike a deal with a swap. I think we'll pay the money knowing we can make sales in the future.

£25M budget before sales. Guendouzi will fetch us £30-35M. Could probably gather another 20-50m depending on who we actually end up getting rid of. There's certainly opportunities there.

Grealish would cost 30-40M if and when Villa go down. Aouar would be around 30-40M, Buendia would be even cheaper than that. Deals in instalments can be done, even Havertz would be attainable through instalments for us.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
If we have to pay the Partey release clause in full it probably kills most of our funds.

For me I'd be absolutely ecstatic with Partey and Havertz/Aouar this summer.

A midfielder or 2 would go though. Let's say one of Torreria/Guendouzi plus maybe El Nenny. Then Partey costs is about 20m net.

truth_hurts

I agree it is banded about too much. 50m can get you world class players outside of The Premier League though.

Would you consider Partey, Douglas Costa/Coutinho and Koulibaly as world class? There's 3 players who could probably be obtained for the 150m mentioned.

truth_hurts

We wouldn't get Kouilibaly, but my point is 150m can get you 3 world class players.

As much as I like them Ake, Grealish and Zaha are not world clasd, but would cost the same or more.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I agree it is banded about too much. 50m can get you world class players outside of The Premier League though.

Would you consider Partey, Douglas Costa/Coutinho and Koulibaly as world class? There's 3 players who could probably be obtained for the 150m mentioned.

I'd call them "Champions League quality" players, not world class players. I think 50m usually gets you a player good enough to play in a team in the knockout stages of the CL. World class is a level or two above that.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
I always think world class was a term used because for about 7-8 years Ronaldo and Messi were head and shoulders above everyone else and you couldn't say the player is one of the best in the world because well... Messi and Ronaldo, saying they were one of the best in the world in their position was a mouthful and doesnt sound quite as good. I think Partey might be one of the best in the world in his position but hard to know until he plays somewhere other than Athletico

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

I don't necessarily agree with this mate - it's never been about only signing worldclass players, it's about signing the right players that fit to a need that the manager has to play a certain way, ideally with a big upside to improve.

Mane wasn't rated as the next big thing here, neither by me nor by 99% of the rest of AM, but he's now.

Is Wijnaldum wordclass or just good ?
Certainly, as I've seen on this forum, he's been mocked before and labeled as a bad deal from Liverpool. He wasn't.

The list can go on with people like Matip etc.

You do not have to buy big, you've got to buy clever. There is and always will be a set of players that either go under the radar by our competitors in the league or are simply playing a position they don't need to strengthen, but we do.

Go for the right players to fix our imbalance, maybe get someone that is just on the edge to reach the next level, build on the tactical improvements we've seen so far under Arteta and create a similar spirit in the team as Klopp did and you'll find yourself trashing any team on your day.

Klopp did not have the best team, he's just the best coach to get the most out of them as a unit and buys players that he needs to implement the style that he wants to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

"Maybe we'll have a good surprise for you"

Arsène hints at transfer activity a day before the arrival of Mesut Özil
Top Bottom