• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Artifical pitch at Ashburton Grove?

Dr. Alban

Daily Telegraph reports.

UEFA boss Lennart Johansson obviously urges Arsenal to consider this option.

Johansson insisted: "These pitches will come. The International Board have accepted it, FIFA have accepted it and England will accept it."

He added: "The quality of artificial surfaces is now much better, certainly much better than a lousy grass pitch in England in December."

Maybe I'm a bit prejudice, but I'm not all into this artificial pitch thing no matter how good it has become these days..

JazzG

Established Member
Plastic pitch to go with the plastic fans in the stands eh ;)

I'm not to sure tbh, all this artificial crap doesn't convince me and I hear that when you go for slide tackles it burns like hell! Keep em natural, thats the way it has always been done in England and long may it continue.....

Mark

Established Member
He has a point about the pitches in December and stuff, but I dunno, I think I'd prefer the natural stuff.

bobbypires

Established Member
Are there any teams with artificial pitch in England (lower divisions)?

There are only a few in Spain (some 2ªB teams, most of them from Canary Islands)

GlasgowGooner

Dunfermline up here in Scotland have it, all the visiting teams are always complaining about it being different from normal grass.

bobbypires

Established Member
GlasgowGooner said:
Dunfermline up here in Scotland have it, all the visiting teams are always complaining about it being different from normal grass.
Spanish teams hate playing at Canary Islands. Sometimes Lanzarote or Pájara (some examples) have to go to another island to play in a 'normal' pitch.
They complain but most of them have some to train.

Dr. Alban

What I find quite ridiculous is the fact that Johansson is using his position as UEFA president to fulfill something that seems to be personal ambition by "putting pressure" on clubs. Ok, he may only be speaking for himself, but as a president his words become more powerful..

It's obvious that his preferences has something to do with the fact that he's from Sweden, a Nordic country. But even though it might be a good idea to have these pitches up north because of the climate, it's just plain stupid to say that "everyone" should have them..

godfather

JazzG said:

I'm not to sure tbh, all this artificial crap doesn't convince me and I hear that when you go for slide tackles it burns like hell! Keep em natural, thats the way it has always been done in England and long may it continue.....

you are right. i play on this artificial pitch every week at uni and its true when you go for slide tackles it burns like hell

Florida Gooner

At least on TV, the pitches in England seem absolutely pristine. We went through this phase with baseball and football here quite some time ago. Virtually all the professional stadiums that had artificial turf have gone back to grass.

skart14

godfather said:
JazzG said:

you are right. i play on this artificial pitch every week at uni and its true when you go for slide tackles it burns like hell

But its really good for a passing game...

Jinn

Established Member
No thanks. I'd rather keep the game the way it is.

Put a roof over the stadium, keep the rain out, whatever, but don't change the pitch.

0% chance of it happening at AG.

Gooner83

I don't think an artificial pitch would suit our game... the ball would always bounce very high and you know how good we are in the air :mrgreen:

Canuck

Established Member
I hope not, especially not after all the work that has gone into making Highbury one of the best pitches in the country. Then to put the crew out of a job after the move...heartless. I'd rather they keep the same groundskeepers and have a real pitch. I think that the artificial pitches would be more for teams in Scotland, Scandanavia, and Eastern Europe where the pitches can be in such terrible shape.

Spartan

the only way it'll be used is to get more revenue, so the pitch can be used for other things

Sonic Youth

i'm more worried about the size of our new pitch. it should be as small as the one at highbury because we're used to play on a small pitch and it gives us an advantage over our oppenents.

Soler

Established Member
Sonic Youth said:
i'm more worried about the size of our new pitch. it should be as small as the one at highbury because we're used to play on a small pitch and it gives us an advantage over our oppenents.

Not really. It's just as easily an advantage for our opponents as well.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom