• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Benitez leaves Valencia

liam346

Does make you realise how big a draw Liverpool are though. ..........was that ever in doubt....sriuosly, cos we aint top doesnt mean we are dead !

Been reading Koptalk and its too hysterical for me, prefer to keep a low key approach and see who does arrive, but , for sure a high profile Manager signing (and lets be honest guys it seems like we have got a cracker) and you have to think Big Cash, big signings ....and we live in hope.

For furthur discussion here people........but ManUre sure are quiet and i suspect very worried, they are looking at Paddy V, Stevie G and Frankie L.........and i suspect they are severely worried that their old soldier cant compete anymore at the very highest level................

Gooner_Milton

But next year, all we'll see is a defensively strong Pool team who counterrattack swiftly, play 4-4-2 and won't really be any different from the one Houllier would have played..

In essence, they'll remain the mighty 'Liverhoof FC'. Valencia are hoofers anyway abet a touch more attacking class than Liverpool but hoofers nonetheless. Benitez will bring in more discipline though, not to mention a better eye for talent than Houlier.

liam346

Not sure i agree Gooner Milton.,i think we may see Liverpool play a more possession based total football than the defensive knick a goal GH employed, i hope so, because that dross was appalling

lewdikris

Established Member
Liam - of course not, but the simple fact is that Benitez has left the champions of Spain, easily the best league of football there is for Liverpool. Liverpool's fame is unquestionable, but that's still a bigger deal than say Capello going from Roma to Juventus. Juventus have had a **** season and needed an overhaul, and Capello's the biggest name in the business, and however well Roma have done, Juve are still a bigger club. But Liverpool have been pretty average for 15 years! YEARS! They may have 4 European Cups, but sure as hell haven't looked like adding to them - whereas Valencia will be among the favourites for the CL next year....

Gooner_Milton

They'll need to bring in players suited to that style of play before they can even attempt to do that. I mean Danny Murphy? Smicer? Diouf? Jamie 'Fart' Carragher? The only player who can play a 'total' football style of play in that team is Harry Kewell. Besides, most of Pool's first XI are pretty old (especially their defenders). Even if Benitez was to keep these players, it'll take awhile for them to convert to his style of play (whatever it may be). Hard to teach old dogs new tricks you know.

Inevitably, Benitez will need to spend quite a bit of the good stuff to rebuild Pool's first XI squad to his vision (that Thai Baht should come in handy). Obviously, whoever's in his team will need time to gel.

That said, OUR team will, hopefully, be light years ahead of them when they finally (if they ever do) gel. I stand by my opinion, I think Pool will continue to hoof for a while more, appalling though it may be.

liam346

TOTALLY agree kris.............totally.

But what i do think is that we are seeing the start of more hefty player movement,lets look at each of the top 5 teams in England.

ARSENAL.............dont need to add much to the squad really, however if Wenger is a truly great manager he wont sit and wait, he will try to improve the squad.

CHELSKI...........goes without saying that money will be thrown in fantastically appalling amounts, but in reality they did not achieve last year .had i spent 130 mill to come 2nd i would be truly ****ed off.The biggest signing may yet be Mourinho

MAN URE...............i hate them!But i sense thay are in trouble.........Keanos legs can not allow him to compete with PV SG FL.........that sadly is a fact....age catches up with us all.And i suspect United are going to have a quiet year on the whole...............Ronaldo and Fletcher will excite but 20 year olds have never won leagues

LIVERPOOL.....................a real coup pulling off the Benitez signing (on the assumption it will happen of course).You would have to be a foool to think it wont go with a lot of cash to sign high quality players.The big improvers i sense, but wont improve enough to win it, not yet

NEWCASTLE...............HMM........its a damn shame cos i would love to see 4 become 5, that fantastic support base deserves to be competing.........i think debts are catching up...............and age!

A.Hussain

it will take benitez a season or two to bring liverpool to fore. also there is way too much dead wood at anfield. and slowly he will be removing that. benitez'z biggest concern is to keep owen and gerrard. u need new defenders. new wingers and good partner for gerrard in the mid. u need fullbacks. but im sure that benitez realised what changes need to made and what his challenges are. with the influx of mourinho and benitez, the EPL may well as become as challenging as the la liga and serie A.

good times for england as a whole.

AFCG7

Established Member
LIverpool though will have some serious firepower up front.. if Cisse completes his move.. Owen and CIsse with Baros backing up and a yet to be signed striker to replace Heskey... they will be a threat for sure.

MightyArsenal

If pool can get ayala, baraja and vicente they will be right up there, if not the current team will take a while to adapt to the new managers approach. And those that say benitez is a hoofer are wrong, the reason why valencia do so well is because they starve the opposistion of the ball.

JazzG

Established Member
Kyla said:
The imminent appointments of Mourhino and Benitez is freaking me out.

I don't think I've seen you not freaked out ;)

You must remember that he had quality players at Valencia. Mista, Vicente, Aimar, Baraja, Albelda, Ayala. These guys have been top drawer for him, how many stars has he got at Liverpool? He has 30mill to spend but 14 of that has been spent on Cisse already.

One thing for sure, the quality of the PL will be higher next season, something which I expected. Time to see we are as good as we think.....

A

Anonymous

liam346 said:
Have to admit i am pretty excited about Raffa the Red.I wont be so bold as to say we will win the league but hell i ALWAYS expect us to do that!....thats been the letdown in the last 2 years.

From a pure footballing point of view his appointment to Liverpool (hopefully) and Mourinhos at Chelsea.....what a league to play in..........and watch

On the assumption that the appointment goes ahead we know Cisse's deal has already been paid for out of last years budget.............FACT is./........30mill had already been approved for this summer, but if the Investment plans from Thai/Morgan come off another 45 mill has been promised for players...................................exciting times ahead.

Seems common knowledge Valencia are in deep financial troubl....would Benitez lead any of the following to Anfield.................Aimar,Ayala,Baraja,Vicente......................interesting times we live in.

A final thought.................................how badly Chelsea handled the management role............compared to Rick Parry...........class in your actions not the amount of money you wield Mr Kenyon

Dont you just love Liverpool fans!
This is not the eighties anymore, this is 2004 and you are lightyears behind us. You are not in our league, far far from it.

What on earth made you think you were capable of winning the league? Have you seen your team? Have you seen the way you play?

You have one player who would get anywhere near our team, ONE.

The rest of your team is a bag of ****e, I dont need to list them we all know who they are.

30 points behind us you finished, that is closer to the mighty Leeds. It is going to take YEARS to over haul that, and we are getting better and better and better.

Aston Villa, Charlton, Birmingham, Fulham, Bolton, Newcastle. That is who you should be bothered about. That is your level now.
Dont even think about comparing yourself to Arsenal, Chelsea and the mancs. Out of your league mate. Left you behind a long time ago.

Oh but I forgot, you have won four European Cups, so you have the devine right to challenge for the league every year.

goonerling

Benitez. More hoofing and route one football then. Valencia are awful to watch. like Birmingham with classy players.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Sol said:
30 points behind us you finished, that is closer to the mighty Leeds. It is going to take YEARS to over haul that, and we are getting better and better and better.

sol, this season was a fluke, i dont think liverpool literally need years to make up because the 30 points was a result of us going unbeaten which will never happen again. but in honesty, isnt every team building up to be like liverpool? i mean you are not going to dominate your league forever. however doing it in the past can hold you in great stead for the future, and liverpool are the example. they are now a team battling for fourth place but still attract the best players and coaches. i hope in 30 years or so when we too are an average team we will still be able to atract high profile players because of our successes now.

patrick42uk

Established Member
by the way, benitez is a good coach. but remember he is a good coach in a very technical league. his style works in europe and spain, but will it in the premiership? the premiership is completely different, its like wrestling. now the question is, will benitez's signings reflect his style like in valencia, or will it reflect the adapatation of his style to the physical rigours of the premeirship? that will determine his success. we too are a technical side, but its no coincidence our technical football is being orchastrated by ten giants (and ashley cole). wenger adapted. and he has been lucky enough to find players with both physical strength and technical ability in all departments.

lewdikris

Established Member
You watch - all that technical tenacity Benitez and Mourinho will try and instil at the Pool and the ****s will fly out of the window as soon as Robbie Savage and the average Premiership midfield start leaping about. It's what makes the Premiership exciting, but the tempo's so high that Hector Cuper - perhaps the most demonically dull coach in history - would struggle to slow things down. It's why Wenger's footballing ideas are perfect for England. He likes ultra-fast attacking footie, and England's the prime place to play it.

Mourinho and Benitez's more conservative approaches might - might - work in Europe, but basically Chelsea and Liverpool will end up playing 4-4-2 like the rest of the Premiership and good players and spirit rather than good tactics will be their making or their downfall.

It's the way it is....

A

Anonymous

patrick42uk said:
Sol said:

sol, this season was a fluke, i dont think liverpool literally need years to make up because the 30 points was a result of us going unbeaten which will never happen again. but in honesty, isnt every team building up to be like liverpool? i mean you are not going to dominate your league forever. however doing it in the past can hold you in great stead for the future, and liverpool are the example. they are now a team battling for fourth place but still attract the best players and coaches. i hope in 30 years or so when we too are an average team we will still be able to atract high profile players because of our successes now.

Attracting top players? Who exactly?

They have another season like this and Owen and Gerrard will be off.

patrick42uk

Established Member
cisse mexes and kewell could have had their pick of clubs. all these either showed strong interest or have moved to liverpool. if benitez moves to liverpool, it will prove the point further.

A

Anonymous

patrick42uk said:
cisse mexes and kewell could have had their pick of clubs. all these either showed strong interest or have moved to liverpool. if benitez moves to liverpool, it will prove the point further.

Hardly top players though are they?
Mexes and Cisse are unproven at the top level, and so is kewell I suppose.

Also if we had really wanted Kewell we would have got him, but Wenger has been proved right yet again.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom