• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bentley

Adam

Established Member
Bentley is a better prospect in the hole, but it is too much of a significant role to play at Arsenal for him to be slotted in. Perhaps that is relative to his talent, though. That is why playing a 19 year old on the wing is more suitable for Arsenal. For Norwich? I am not so sure. He is technically their best player, so they should milk off him in the middle imo.

RVP will get his chance first this season. And what is almost certain is that he will get in front of Bentley as a result.

kutz

He's a long way away from being an Arsenal starter, so this is a bit premature, but some thoughts anyways.

If he does develop into the genius we're all hoping, then he'll have to play up front. Jose can play left as he is now with Titi up front.

We all know that our wide players are extra strikers anyway, especially when one of our strikers is in the bergkamp mould dropping into midfield to create. Jose is perfect for that left-wing/striker position.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Adam said:
Bentley is a better prospect in the hole, but it is too much of a significant role to play at Arsenal for him to be slotted in. Perhaps that is relative to his talent, though. That is why playing a 19 year old on the wing is more suitable for Arsenal. For Norwich? I am not so sure. He is technically their best player, so they should milk off him in the middle imo.

RVP will get his chance first this season. And what is almost certain is that he will get in front of Bentley as a result.
I'm just sayiong that to me, although he has all this technical ability his future looks bleak with all these other players ahead of him now. Lats year I though he would break into te team this season, but it seems very unlikely unless he puts on some magical displays between now and when he comes back.

Mark

Established Member
Remember, Loyan, that when Bentley returns from loan we will not have Bergkamp anymore. So he will not have as difficult competition for places. Upfront there is only Reyes and RvP to compete with, and they can both play in midfield.

gooner4eva

I think Le boss wants a pool of 3-4 players who are totally flexible in their position. They can play upfront, drift to the wings of more centrally in the midfield. We could they unleash this brand of total football. It would be terrifying for any defence as they would never know who to mark and where. We are currently building up to that. It sure owuld look spectacular. Like the dutch team lead by Cryuff......

lewdikris

Established Member
Agreed with the above. Bentley's never going to be a pure winger, so just let him learn to express himself whilst tackling back and he'll be fine.

And the simple fact is, if he makes it as a left midfielder he'll get in the England squad sooner rather than later, which will - as with the Cole/Silvinho situation - force Wenger's hand in playing him!

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
He was quite impressive tonight. Very nice goal, Given should have saved it but it was a good effort by Bentley and very nice ball control to get into the shooting position.

He strikes me as a bit of a rough gem. He's got bags of ability but is very inexperienced, a lot of the time he's on a different wavelength to the other players and he's a bit headless when it comes to defending. Give him a season of premiership football though and he could become very, very good...

patrick42uk

Established Member
when i read he said that norwich staying up depended on him, i thought it was a bit cocky. on the basis of tonight, i think he might be right. he was their spark. just after going 2-0 down, he took responsibility. picked up the ball dribbled past players and hit his shot on target. it wsant the best efforet but given spilt it. what that did was give norwich belief. the same influence a certain bergkamp had at highbury on sunday with his second goal.

A

Anonymous

Bentley will never make it as a winger imo.

Anyone see Joe Cole play last night for Chelsea? He had an excellent excellent game, and played in the centre. He has been wasted playing on the wings for Chelsea. But last night he looked a player.

I think he and DB are very similar players. Both very skilful, but lacking in pace.

I just cant decide if Bentley will make it at Arsenal, but if played centrally he has a shout.

JGooner

Sol said:

Anyone see Joe Cole play last night for Chelsea? He had an excellent excellent game, and played in the centre. He has been wasted playing on the wings for Chelsea. But last night he looked a player.

I think he and DB are very similar players. Both very skilful, but lacking in pace.

I just cant decide if Bentley will make it at Arsenal, but if played centrally he has a shout.

Playing wide doesn't necessarily mean playing as a winger. Bentley could easily be a Beckham-style inside-right. His game will be based on defence-splitting long-range and medium-range passes, long-range shots, and rapid one-touch interplay with his teammates. He may not be a "winger" in the sense of beating full-backs with speed but that doesn't mean he can't play in the RM slot.

His goal tonight was sensational.

JazzG

Established Member
One of the reason young players are played on the wing is because putting them in the centre gives them far too much responsibility as everything will go through them and they will be right in the thick of things. One bad performance can shatter confidence, so they are played on the wing so they can gain experience, get used to things and get stronger before moving into the centre. Ferguson done the same with Fletcher.

Also shows you how highly Wenger must ratea Cesc if he has stuck him in the centre of our midfield!

MightyArsenal

Just wanna say bently was amazing tonight, he just needs to use less killer passes if he plays for arsenal, but you cant blame him because the other norwich players just seem to lose the ball when they get it so hes gotta try killer passes whilst playing for them. the commentators were amazed that he was substituted and bently himself was shaking his head, but in the end it worked as norwich got a 2-2 draw.

Split

Sol said:

I think that is a very good comparison.

Joe Cole has always intrigued me as a player (not least because we shared mutual school friends)

he's a very talented and creative player but not a natural striker or winger, he's an attacking central midfielder, but most teams (arsenal, chelsea, manu, england) play two defensive midfielders in the centre, so he's struggled to hold down a place for Chelsea and England. The same with Bentley.

For both of them to keep a regular place they either need to gain more pace (which isn't possible) or they need to get stronger physically and a bit more discipline in their game. They need to settle in one position, i don't think it matters what position that is as they clearly have the talent, we just don't need another Keiron Dyer!!!

AFCG7

Established Member
He looks a fine player though.. technique very good.. a terrific shot and a good range of passing.. the only thing he lacks is pace and a bit of strength.. maybe he can do what Reyes did and put on some more muscle because if he cant beat players with pace he will have to use his strength more. He has the skill already , all he needs is to get a bit bigger and fitter.
Like Bergkamp too he seems to have that kind of ability to find players with passes that the opposition dont expect.He's not as good as Bergkamp was when he was 20 but he'll get there if he continues progressing.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Sol said:

yes i saw joe cole, but i think he will be dropped for their next game. he was so single-minded. the prurpose of his playing behind two strikers was to feed them throughballs. in that game that was lacking. all he did was get his head down, dribble and shoot. we know he can dribble, we know he has a bit of pace, but he was supposed to prove to mourinho that he can be a creator like deco which i dont think he did.

KingReyes

Established Member
JazzG said:
One of the reason young players are played on the wing is because putting them in the centre gives them far too much responsibility as everything will go through them and they will be right in the thick of things. One bad performance can shatter confidence, so they are played on the wing so they can gain experience, get used to things and get stronger before moving into the centre. Ferguson done the same with Fletcher.

Also shows you how highly Wenger must ratea Cesc if he has stuck him in the centre of our midfield!

Thats true Jazz, Wenger has previously said that when you're young and asked to play a position you accept regardless of the position because you want to play and impress. In regards to Cesc however I don't think he can play on the flanks. He is a pure CM, its like saying Vieira at 17 would be put on the wing. Highly unlikely.

However Bentley has looked good so far IMO, we shouldn't expect miracles but that he puts in a top effort and adjusts to the physical side of the game and that he shows he confident playing on the big stage.

He doesn't have to impress Wenger with his skill, Wenger already said he knows that technically he is TOP TOP TOP. :wink:

Arsenal Quotes

We played with a bit of a handbrake

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom