• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bentley

leongsh

gooner4eva said:
I think Le boss wants a pool of 3-4 players who are totally flexible in their position. They can play upfront, drift to the wings of more centrally in the midfield. We could they unleash this brand of total football. It would be terrifying for any defence as they would never know who to mark and where. We are currently building up to that. It sure owuld look spectacular. Like the dutch team lead by Cryuff......

At least now I don't feel alone in thinking about what Arsène Wenger is trying to create - a more pacey, high tempo version of total football.

By having highly versatile and creative forwards and wingers interchanging/switching positions and roaming around up front, defenses would have a hard time in trying to close them down and if too much attention is placed on the 4 players, one of the midfielders would be put through by either one of the 4 to stride forward and strike.

David Bentley would fit into this kind of system but he needs the match experience to improve his overall game. Hence, letting him go on loan to play in Norwich to help him get that match experience.

I do think that he should temper his growing arrogance and channel it towards being steely, quiet and calm icy-cool confidence like Dennis "20-something" Bergkamp.

Canuck

Established Member
This is my 3rd post here, and I've mentioned Dennis in all of them.
Having heard Bentley compared to a young Bergkamp has peaked my interest in the youth. Seeing his excellent goal for Norwich in the Newcastle match indeed lends truth to a growing reputation. If he turns out to be half the player Good Ol' Dennis is, he'll be one of the best in the EPL.

Gooner_Milton

Saw the game. The goal was special. Fine strike although Shay Given could have done better. Still, even if he saves it, it was still a decent effort by Bentley.

There's a lot of things Bentley needs to work on though. For one thing, he's not very fast. I think he needs to work on those leg muscles and do some sprint training to gain some pace. Losing the ball through physical challanges is another. Bentley is a lightweight and I'll like to see him gain some muscle. Other than that, the games he's getting at Norwich is doing him a world of good. Hope he does well this season and force his way into the Arsenal first team next year.

Canuck

Established Member
Yes, he could improve his physical presence. At least he's not overly prone to injury...the pace doesn't worry me that much, as long as the endurance is there. I didn't expect him to get much more than the odd sub and cup matchs this season, but this loan to Norwich will def. be useful. Look at Pennant after his experience at Leeds.

KingReyes

Established Member
Wenger seems to think Bentley has a bright future at Arsenal. If Dennis retires as expected I think Bentley could be given his chance with Arsenal to play more games and make the Number 10 jersey his. The potential is definateley there. Bentley

This boy is technically perfect," he said. "He has similar qualities to Dennis Bergkamp, he can always make a goal even when he is not at his best. What he needs is to play at the top level for a year.

Canuck

Established Member
If Bentley even comes close to Dennis' skill and influence, he will be a pleasure to watch, and a benefit to Arsenal for years to come...I'm looking forward to it. (I'll be watching his performance at Norwich closely)

A.Hussain

with bentley dribbling skills, it have a feeling wenger will try and use him in pires's place. the thing about bentley is that he seems to have quite a shot from far out. this may force wenger to think of him as a winger. and remember one important thing. in todays world, the left wing is considered one of the most cruical positions of the game. like pires, who is our 'official' playmaker, like zidane who also plays left wing for madrid, robben for chelski, giggs for manchester, although monkey boy is losing his touch. now a days the wings are where the brains are being concentrated. with the overlapping cover of the wing backs, the wingers are expected to play more medially. pennant on the right, bentley on the left, cesc and flamini in the center. this is a good formula. reyes and RVP upfront.

Canuck

Established Member
That sounds like a killer line up for the future. Though I've yet to see RVP prove himself in the Red&White, and the same with Flamini.
Bentley has the skills, but it's the brains that need developing. He does have a natural ability to be aware of what's going on around him. (just like Bergkamp) and that is exactly what I admire about them both.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
A.Hussain said:
with bentley dribbling skills, it have a feeling wenger will try and use him in pires's place. the thing about bentley is that he seems to have quite a shot from far out. this may force wenger to think of him as a winger. and remember one important thing. in todays world, the left wing is considered one of the most cruical positions of the game. like pires, who is our 'official' playmaker, like zidane who also plays left wing for madrid, robben for chelski, giggs for manchester, although monkey boy is losing his touch. now a days the wings are where the brains are being concentrated. with the overlapping cover of the wing backs, the wingers are expected to play more medially. pennant on the right, bentley on the left, cesc and flamini in the center. this is a good formula. reyes and RVP upfront.
I agree with what you're sayinh mate. Welcome back BTW.

That sounds like a killer line up for the future. Though I've yet to see RVP prove himself in the Red&White, and the same with Flamini.
Bentley has the skills, but it's the brains that need developing. He does have a natural ability to be aware of what's going on around him. (just like Bergkamp) and that is exactly what I admire about them both.

TBH though we have only seen RvP i preseason, and that is not a measure to judge a player. Let's just wait until we see him actually play a match of importance for us. We can only judge him at the end of the season, and more likely next as he won't get many chances this season, and he will still be adapting so he needs time and lots of it IMO.

Canuck

Established Member
Couldn't agree more. I look forward to finally seeing RvP in action. Maybe this weekend...I didn't see any of the pre season games, only read about them online. though I trust in A.W. to bring in players of only the top quality.

Arsenal Quotes

I've got the best goalkeeper and the best centre half. All I need are the best wingers and the best forward. It doesnt matter what the rest are like.

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom