• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Best manager in the world ?

Best manager in the world ?

• Total voters

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
To be fair, I think every United manager had the cash available. Even in his early tenure, Sir Alex was making record bids for Mark Hughes, Roy Keane, Cantona etc. He just mostly knew how to spend the money wisely.

Moyes also had the resources, it was his own fault. Just bottled his transfer windows chasing players he couldn't attract when more realistic targets were available. For example;

“When I first went in my real target was Gareth Bale. I felt all along that Gareth Bale was a Manchester United player.

“I fought right until the last minute. We actually offered a bigger deal than Real Madrid. But Gareth had his mind made up on going to Real Madrid. That was, in my mind, the player I really wanted to bring to Manchester United.

We ended the window signing Fellaini on deadline day.
Bottling a transfer window doesn't mean anything. Managers often fail to acquire their targets. If you only get one season that can be a problem.

The point is Moyes only failed in comparison to Ferguson, probably one of the best managers ever on proven stats.

Who inherited who, what money was available, who could be bought on the transfer market is all speculation. But what is actual fact, is that Moyes did not fail in comparison to LVG and Mourinho on first year league stats. They were all very similar in league performance, points and position.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

But how they became top managers ? They had to prove themselfs in some situations and clubs and they have good reputation.They didn't come from nowhere and became quality managers.Mourinho became popular after Porto,Pep made new system with Barca and won all things with them,Wenger made new Arsenal,Simeone done big things with Atletico with limited budget and made good team etc.They were all exposed in some way or another and they proved that they are good.

You look at this situation quite simple like it's easy to lead big team with good players and that manager don't have any big role there.
There is some truth to that. My point is not that these are bad managers (I said in my second post that they are all good managers), but that there are also a whole host of other managers in lower teams who maybe just as good, but who have not had the same opportunities to prove themselves with the best players.

Pep started out at Barcelona, Zidane started out at Real Madrid. Eddie Howe started out at Bournemouth. If all three were equally as good, would Eddie Howe be in the running at say Man City or Chelsea?

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

My vote goes to Óscar Pareja. Who says the best manager has to be somebody you've ever heard of? Hey, it's easy to be a great manager at Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. This one is for all the little guys.
Anyone who took on Escobar gets my vote. :lol:

Wilshere1010

There is some truth to that. My point is not that these are bad managers (I said in my second post that they are all good managers), but that there are also a whole host of other managers in lower teams who maybe just as good, but who have not had the same opportunities to prove themselves with the best players.

Pep started out at Barcelona, Zidane started out at Real Madrid. Eddie Howe started out at Bournemouth. If all three were equally as good, would Eddie Howe be in the running at say Man City or Chelsea?
Agreed. Its difficult to compare managers because there are so many different factors, the situation for each manager is different. In 15/16 Champions League who would you say had the better performance out of Zidane and Simeone? Some might say Simeone because he got so close with much less resources and a relatively limited squad. On the other hand, Zidane won, simple as that. Its hard to call.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Bottling a transfer window doesn't mean anything. Managers often fail to acquire their targets. If you only get one season that can be a problem.

The point is Moyes only failed in comparison to Ferguson, probably one of the best managers ever on proven stats.

Who inherited who, what money was available, who could be bought on the transfer market is all speculation. But what is actual fact, is that Moyes did not fail in comparison to LVG and Mourinho on first year league stats. They were all very similar in league performance, points and position.

Just because I think Moyes failed doesn't mean that I think Van Gaal and Mourinho have succeeded. All these managers have all the resources in the world to make it work. Moyes gets the worst of it because he inherited a title winning team and finished 7th with them. Van Gaal and Mourinho haven't done worse than the teams they inherited.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Just because I think Moyes failed doesn't mean that I think Van Gaal and Mourinho have succeeded. All these managers have all the resources in the world to make it work. Moyes gets the worst of it because he inherited a title winning team and finished 7th with them. Van Gaal and Mourinho haven't done worse than the teams they inherited.

That team in 2013 was kinda old and needed to change quite a lot.Vidic,Rio,Evra,Giggs,Fletcher weren't in their peak anymore.Moyes didn't do anything to find right options for them and he also had **** transfer window.Ferguson only could win EPL with Cleverly,Anderson etc.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

In hindsight having seen the same thing happen with Mourinho and LVG, I don't believe the board would have sacked Moyes after one season. But it was such a shock to finish outside the top 4 after Ferguson's high standards.

Now they're used to it of course. :lol:

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

He's gone down a few notches in my book over the last few years. He's developed this gritty Atletico side that won the title but then failed to capitalize on that and he hasn't been able to really evolve them offensively.

It's also not like they got poached massively. The core around Oblak, Saul, Koke, Griezmann and Godin has been in place for a good time, with the latter two only leaving last summer.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
He's gone down a few notches in my book over the last few years. He's developed this gritty Atletico side that won the title but then failed to capitalize on that and he hasn't been able to really evolve them offensively.

It's also not like they got poached massively. The core around Oblak, Saul, Koke, Griezmann and Godin has been in place for a good time, with the latter two only leaving last summer.

3 years ago was little bit different maybe :lol:.Yeah,kinda agree that he passed his best in Atletico and that his peak years was from 2013 and 2016 when they won La Liga and played two CL finals.It's always problem for teams to compete in same league where are Barcelona and Real,so he did good job to transform Atletico in great defensive team with amazing spirit.Even when he leaves,Atletico would be behind Barcelona and Real,unless those two really start to underperform in Spain,which will hardly happen.Would like to see Simeone in some new league,Seria A or EPL.

And for best manager in the world at this moment,would say it's Klopp.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom