• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Brek Shea

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Floating said:
I'd say Nik. He's a big lad, with surprising pace and can play on the wings as well as CF. However, we're technically not in for him.

We need to throw Chamakh in the nearest recycling bin. Hopefully he comes back as an adequate footballer...

ThaSaltCracka

DJ_Markstar said:
It's always hard to judge a player skipping past 5 MLS players and burying it. Would he be able to do that against Stoke? Unlikely.

That said, you can only beat what's in front of you, and he does look a powerful athlete. Hmm...

Landon Donovan does that on a regular basis and was good at Everton during his loan spell.

This kid can play, definitely the best player in MLS this seasons and was very good in the last.

He's quick, strong, has technical ability, but is unfortunately very left footed.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Being one-footed is not ideal but some players have had great careers that way, Beckham being a prime example. Les Ferdinand was predominantly right footed but he ended up an MBE after an exceptional career, not shabby at all.
Having said that I do watch a few MLS games from time time and he is very interesting. Let's see if Wenger can get him into a reserve game if the rules allow.

ThaSaltCracka

I mentioned his one footedness because frankly its about the only knock I can think of.

He's put in some good games for the US the past 6-8 months, which is when he's really started to get his chance.

Anyway :)

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Well the initial point remains - some players are just flat track bullies. If Brek came here, he'd have to learn pretty quickly that you won't skip past five players, you'll skip past one and the second guy will try to break your leg.

Re: one-footedness. I really don't see it as a problem as long as he uses that one foot really well :D

blaze_of_glory

DJ_Markstar said:
Well the initial point remains - some players are just flat track bullies. If Brek came here, he'd have to learn pretty quickly that you won't skip past five players, you'll skip past one and the second guy will try to break your leg.

Re: one-footedness. I really don't see it as a problem as long as he uses that one foot really well :D

Can someone explain this term to me? You guys use it a lot, and think I get that it means someone who does well against poor opposition but not against quality. But I don't understand where it comes from, the flat track part I mean.

mistaT

Established Member
DJ_Markstar said:
It's always hard to judge a player skipping past 5 MLS players and burying it. Would he be able to do that against Stoke? Unlikely.

That said, you can only beat what's in front of you, and he does look a powerful athlete. Hmm...

No doubt he wouldn't have the same effect in the league as he has in the MLS but his finishing/shooting is one of his stronger attributes, and that is something that I believe is easier to carry over league to league.

Take this goal for example, he beats one player and while he isn't closed down this is a great strike in any league.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNA7lC2DjQ&feature=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNA7lC2 ... ure=relmfu</a>

The Escaped Ape

blaze_of_glory said:
DJ_Markstar said:

Can someone explain this term to me? You guys use it a lot, and think I get that it means someone who does well against poor opposition but not against quality. But I don't understand where it comes from, the flat track part I mean.

This is a good question. I've always wondered the same thing. I'm guessing the flat track bit indicates that they can dominate (bully) in easy circumstances (where the track is flat/where the opposition is weak), but won't be as impressive in other circumstances.

But that's just a guess. Anyone got the definitive answer?

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
thats a pretty good explanation Escaped.. someone who dominates inferior opponents but cant beat top opponents..

Shue

Established Member
It's a cricketing term. It refers to a batsman who is brilliant at smashing the ball around on a 'flat track' (ie. there's very little bounce or swing in the wicket) but who then sucks on a less than ideal surface.

patrick42uk

Established Member
There'a s few shots of him using his right in that clip. I think it makes sense that we are looking at him. He's a monster physically and seems decent technically.

Floating

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
There'a s few shots of him using his right in that clip. I think it makes sense that we are looking at him. He's a monster physically and seems decent technically.

Yep — he also works extremely hard, and knows where the goal is. All the ingredients are there, he's just extremely raw at the moment.

Wokich

Couple points.

1. I thought I understood the flat-track bully thing until someone mentioned cricket.
2. Shea in not a central striker. He's a winger. He's spent more time at central defence than central forward, although he originally broke into the pros as a fullback.
3. He's said he's staying in Dallas. Klinsmann has told the US team that the MLS season is too short and they need to be training with top clubs during the off-season. It's not a trial. It's "just training".
4. If Arsène wants Shea that he will get him.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Once got into trouble in O'Shea, an Irish pub in Rotterdam, pissed off some Mancs after we beat them in 07 at OT, by telling them "I know a joke.................................... O'Shea"

ArseGod

If this were a bendy replacement I would take it. Shea seems like a very hard worker. Think Bendy without the "I'm the greatest who ever lived" comments.

Arsenal Quotes

I am immensely proud to say that I am the manager who has won the most FA Cups, and MY Arsenal are the club to lift it the most.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom