• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

23 is a joke. players peak at 26/7 ... 23 isn't 'young' in football terms anymore. There is still room to improve obviously, but it isn't young.
Think 21 at the start of the season is a good cut off. That’s when you’re meant to have stopped growing and all that crap.

Also, players peak a lot later than that. 27-30 actually.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Think 21 at the start of the season is a good cut off. That’s when you’re meant to have stopped growing and all that crap.

I'm talking physically. Wenger reckons that's the age players peak at, and if they're as good as they can be technically, then they're probably going to be at the peak of their powers. As a wide player relying on pace and strength, I'd say Saka will be at his most potent when he's around 26/27. You can be just as handy at 30 as you are at 26 despite a slight physical decline because you're more experienced and you evolve. Henry probably peaked at 26/27.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I kind of preferred Ismaila Sarr in the summer based on how well he played against is in the EL.

He was younger, cheaper and so far has outperformed Pepe for a sh*te team. Could’ve had money saved to go after a Sancho or whoever this summer then.

I think we’ll get back there as a destination, in terms of European cities it’s probably the most attractive to play in.

Other clubs like Real and Barca have the prestige but location wise it’s hard to beat London if you’re a young millionaire who works 5 hours a day tops.

Every time I have watched Sarr he's been f*cking terrible.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Think this is a very complex topic.

In general, people like to narrow down the success of a player to a few simple ingredients as humanity likes to have a blueprint for everything to "understand".

Imo, when looking at the required bits for a player to succeed/reach his prime, so many indivual aspects come into play that we are still far off giving a proper call on what might be an age where this all comes together.

You look at the obvious traits - physical power, muscles, speed etc and you might wanna say this, on average, should be peak in between 23-27, so if a player is hitting the early twenties he should at least give a clear picture of what he can do with that.

But when you consider the other aspects, not even starting with confidence and the "current stiuation in life" of a player which is infinetely complex, you will start to have a tough time making a call of when a player is reaching his best.

You might need to consider his social background, his character, his (social) intelligence and much much more. Is the player currently fully focused on football or does he deal with too many side factors which is quite typical for any man in his twenties ?
Did he "find himself" just yet or is still very much in main phase of self-discovery ?

There's so much more and it's just not trivial to make a call for that "prime age" imo.

That's one of the key points I often hate when discussing player potential, current quality etc on here, as so many guys just don't like to consider their own difficulties with growing age at that time and also don't think about how incredibly important experience and cleverness on the field really is nowadays.
Your head is much more than half of the game, physical traits are not the prime ingredient.

Look at players like Tadic and you know how late a player can explode and reach new hights. You can be average for the most of your twenties and still be worldclass/topclass shortly after.

Some things just need to start "klicking".

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Just don’t know which Watford games you’ve been watching, he’s clearly super talented.

Can’t remember off the top of my head but just remember him not being special. Looked rash in front of goal.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

In general, people like to narrow down the success of a player to a few simple ingredients as humanity likes to have a blueprint for everything to "understand".

Imo, when looking at the required bits for a player to succeed/reach his prime, so many indivual aspects come into play that we are still far off giving a proper call on what might be an age where this all comes together.

You look at the obvious traits - physical power, muscles, speed etc and you might wanna say this, on average, should be peak in between 23-27, so if a player is hitting the early twenties he should at least give a clear picture of what he can do with that.

But when you consider the other aspects, not even starting with confidence and the "current stiuation in life" of a player which is infinetely complex, you will start to have a tough time making a call of when a player is reaching his best.

You might need to consider his social background, his character, his (social) intelligence and much much more. Is the player currently fully focused on football or does he deal with too many side factors which is quite typical for any man in his twenties ?
Did he "find himself" just yet or is still very much in main phase of self-discovery ?

There's so much more and it's just not trivial to make a call for that "prime age" imo.

That's one of the key points I often hate when discussing player potential, current quality etc on here, as so many guys just don't like to consider their own difficulties with growing age at that time and also don't think about how incredibly important experience and cleverness on the field really is nowadays.
Your head is much more than half of the game, physical traits are not the prime ingredient.

Look at players like Tadic and you know how late a player can explode and reach new hights. You can be average for the most of your twenties and still be worldclass/topclass shortly after.

Agree. I think we tend to confuse physical peak with your peak as a footballer.

If humans didn’t physically decline then a footballer would get better and better as his experience increased. So I tend to view a players peak as that sweet spot where they have as much experience as possible while still maintaining physical prowess.

Due to advancements in taking care of thselbes we’re starting to see a lot of players hit 30 while still losing nothing (or barely anything) physically. 30 seems to be the new 27 in football now.

But even that is simplistic. You make very fair points about a players lifestyle. Imagine a troubled footballer finally making an emotional breakthrough at 32. He could go up a whole level now that he’s finally ‘at peace’. Food for thought for sure.

He might be the most athletic player in the league. Looks super unrefined though.

This might be true. Specially because Traore doesn't do weights!

skysports-adama-traore-wolves_4881958.jpg

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He might be the most athletic player in the league. Looks super unrefined though.

Still young though, was really impressed with him in the Europa League games he played against us last year.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

This might be true. Specially because Traore doesn't do weights!

skysports-adama-traore-wolves_4881958.jpg
Forgot about this guy tbh but Sarr is a weird one.

Traore is a better runner with the ball but a straight up foot race would be interesting. Sarr seems like he can run fast all game, while you commonly see Traore having a breather on the pitch.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II

Yeah to say it’s complex is an understatement. When I say in my opinion players peek at 2627, that is taking absolutely everything that you’ve mentioned into account. The shame of it sometimes is that players peak physically before they peaked mentally, and so by the time they ‘get it’ all, they’re already past their physical peak. Players go on learning even after they have retired, so imagine how good these players would have been had they known everything at their physical peak that they knew after they had finished playing! I know that if I knew everything that I know now when I was playing for my school team I’ll be far and away the best player in the side. Bugger!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom