• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Modern day football tactics is all about triangles....... this is why everyone is moving towards a midfield 3. 3 midfielders is the best shape for pressing and can cut out 2 midfielders with ease.

I think Saka can easily develop into being a world class left back, he already has become one of our most important player and irreplaceable on the left back position. As a left winger the best he can become is Lemar which in case you haven't realize isn't the standard we should be aiming for.

Why is the best winger he can become Lemar? Do explain.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Obviously not many saw his youth run, otherwise the idea that Saka can't be a wide forward would be ridiculous. He is more than capable of playing as a wide forward - just because he plays on his dominant side doesn't make him "orthodox". He's a lot more subtle than made out.
Do you think he signs a new contract?

Obviously not many saw his youth run, otherwise the idea that Saka can't be a wide forward would be ridiculous. He is more than capable of playing as a wide forward - just because he plays on his dominant side doesn't make him "orthodox". He's a lot more subtle than made out.

I think people are too quick to write him off as a wide forward on here. Even at 17 he was creating a few dangerous moments, making assists from that position but just because he wasn't an instant hit there it doesn't mean he can't make it there. In fact with the recently gained confidence playing at the senior level I think he should get another go at the position and he could easily impress! He has the potential!

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
The standard for a wide forward at a top club is 10 league goals. I'm not saying Saka can not put of those numbers as it would be ridiculous to at this stage of his career.

And no, in all honesty, I only knew about Saka from this forum before his break through. Caught me by surprise.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think people are too quick to write him off as a wide forward on here. Even at 17 he was creating a few dangerous moments, making assists from that position but just because he wasn't an instant hit there it doesn't mean he can't make it there. In fact with the recently gained confidence playing at the senior level I think he should get another go at the position and he could easily impress! He has the potential!
Precisely. He's our top assister and it's only due to the lopsided nature of our team overall this season that he hasn't been able to score more goals. I say this as someone that's actually pretty happy with the idea of him playing as a LB - he's capable of being dangerous anywhere on that left flank. I think he's an excellent weapon to have at LB or LW personally.

I think with both him and Nelson, they haven't really been enable to get into consistent shooting positions but with a bit more time for Arteta to knit together the attack I expect that to change. Both players IMO could be 10 goal+ players with their shooting ability. The volume of shots will matter, so we have to see how that improves.

al-Ustaadh

He’s pretty much playing as a left winger under Arteta anyways
Yup. But it must be pointed out that we're playing a system that is highly tilted towards one side. Not sure that's going to be permanent after Arteta gets the kind of players he wants. It does favor he'll probably be more of an attacker than a defender though in the long term.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Yup. But it must be pointed out that we're playing a system that is highly tilted towards one side. Not sure that's going to be permanent after Arteta gets the kind of players he wants. It does favor he'll probably be more of an attacker than a defender though in the long term.
Imo this is because we lack certain profiles in attack and Arteta tried to compensate by putting as much goal threat in the team as possible (Auba wing, Laca striker). We’re missing a wide playmaker on the left where Auba has been playing and a player who’s comfortable on going on the outside and cross at RW (probably why we saw Pepe get dropped for Nelson early on). This would give us more variation in attack.

The Coutinho links makes sense if that’s what Arteta is aiming for even though I think there’s better value for money out there and we might already have the perfect solution at the club with Nelson as the wide playmaker on the left.

truth_hurts

Imo this is because we lack certain profiles in attack and Arteta tried to compensate by putting as much goal threat in the team as possible (Auba wing, Laca striker). We’re missing a wide playmaker on the left where Auba has been playing and a player who’s comfortable on going on the outside and cross at RW (probably why we saw Pepe get dropped for Nelson early on). This would give us more variation in attack.

The Coutinho links makes sense if that’s what Arteta is aiming for even though I think there’s better value for money out there and we might already have the perfect solution at the club with Nelson as the wide playmaker on the left.

True. I really like the idea of two lefties on the left though i.e. Tierney and Saka as an option. Anything that results in Coutinho coming here I'm all for though! One thing that I will say about Pepe despite his inconsistency is that he definitely has goals and assists in him.

Martinelli, Auba and Laca definitely have goals. Saka and Nelson seem more like creative types, but both have plenty of time to add a ruthless streak.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
the idea of him playing as a LB

Not really answering you, but as I just read this post und you mention this: There's already talk Saka doesn't want to be leftback and he might think about leaving so Arsenal has to play him higher up the pitch. Tbh I don't like stuff like this. E.g. Bayern converted Alaba into a leftback and he didn't moan, they converted Kimmich from CM to RB and he didn't moan, now Bayern are doing it again with Davies and the boy doesn't moan. As a 17 or 18 year old you should be happy to get minutes anywhere and not already make demands where you want to be played. I think Saka perfectly fits this mold and it would solve at least one problem if he was "converted". Doesn't mean he'll never get to play higher up the pitch. Alaba has played LB, CB, LW and CM for Bayern. Having a great jack of all trades like this in the team would be great.

al-Ustaadh

Not really answering you, but as I just read this post und you mention this: There's already talk Saka doesn't want to be leftback and he might think about leaving so Arsenal has to play him higher up the pitch. Tbh I don't like stuff like this. E.g. Bayern converted Alaba into a leftback and he didn't moan, they converted Kimmich from CM to RB and he didn't moan, now Bayern are doing it again with Davies and the boy doesn't moan. As a 17 or 18 year old you should be happy to get minutes anywhere and not already make demands where you want to be played. I think Saka perfectly fits this mold and it would solve at least one problem if he was "converted". Doesn't mean he'll never get to play higher up the pitch. Alaba has played LB, CB, LW and CM for Bayern. Having a great jack of all trades like this in the team would be great.
When you’re winning, you have an easier time convincing players to do something they may not actually be interested in doing.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, it was talked about even during his youth run last year when Freddie managed the U23s - he said that Saka bitterly hated it, which I always thought was weird because up until that season he'd played full back a whole bunch of times.

That said, there were positive signs that Saka was not only getting used to the position more but actively looking forward to making his mark there for the time being - Arteta alluded to this being the case a couple of times in interviews and my guess is that Arteta put his man-management skills to good use and sold it to him. Far cry from AMN - who, while I don't think full-back works for him quite as well as it does for Saka, just seems to have no interest in being a full-back whatsoever - Saka appears humble enough to make it work. So I'm still relatively confident that he signs on for us.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Why is the best winger he can become Lemar? Do explain.

Marcel Lucassen explained it the best: "Bukayo Saka is the best example of where we want to go with Arsenal. He was a winger, but because he is not a Leroy Sané in small spaces, he will not get beyond top 30 best wingers. As a wingback, he can become top 3 in the world...."

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
True. I really like the idea of two lefties on the left though i.e. Tierney and Saka as an option. Anything that results in Coutinho coming here I'm all for though! One thing that I will say about Pepe despite his inconsistency is that he definitely has goals and assists in him.

Martinelli, Auba and Laca definitely have goals. Saka and Nelson seem more like creative types, but both have plenty of time to add a ruthless streak.
I strongly doubt we’ll see this unless Xhaka leaves and KT is ordered to tuck inside in midfield like the RB has been doing on the opposite side. It’s going to be either or for now

truth_hurts

I strongly doubt we’ll see this unless Xhaka leaves and KT is ordered to tuck inside in midfield like the RB has been doing on the opposite side. It’s going to be either or for now

Possibly, but Arteta hasn't really had the option until now. Tierney can definitely tuck in seeing as he has played as a cb in his career.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Marcel Lucassen explained it the best: "Bukayo Saka is the best example of where we want to go with Arsenal. He was a winger, but because he is not a Leroy Sané in small spaces, he will not get beyond top 30 best wingers. As a wingback, he can become top 3 in the world...."

I think theres a lot of guess work there. Who's to say he cant improve in smaller spaces. I don't remember Sterling being intricate in small spaces at Liverpool. He has improved a bit at city but I would say hes more a direct winger/forward than one that will bamboozle defenders with trickery.

Mane is another example. Mane isn't what I would call a tricky wide player/wide forward. I dont see him tricking his way through a defence as much as I see him using pace and power more directly.

Theres different types of wide forward players. Some run direct some jinx and trick their way through defences.

Also it's also guess work to say he could become one of the top 3 left backs in the world based on what 20 matches or so. That sample size is far to small. Many a young player at 18 looked good at the start but never kicked on.

What would be interesting is it someone had some comparisons with Ashley Coles career. By all accounts he was an attacking player playing as a forward around 13-14 then went to a left wing back role and then finally ending up as a left back.

The one thing is is that Saka may truly love attacking and he may truly hate defending. Someone might think your better in one position but you may not enjoy playing there and ultimately you may want to move on to fulfill your dream.

Would Saka rather play left back for Arsenal or say Left wing for a similar size club?

truth_hurts

I think theres a lot of guess work there. Who's to say he cant improve in smaller spaces. I don't remember Sterling being intricate in small spaces at Liverpool. He has improved a bit at city but I would say hes more a direct winger/forward than one that will bamboozle defenders with trickery.

Mane is another example. Mane isn't what I would call a tricky wide player/wide forward. I dont see him tricking his way through a defence as much as I see him using pace and power more directly.

Theres different types of wide forward players. Some run direct some jinx and trick their way through defences.

Also it's also guess work to say he could become one of the top 3 left backs in the world based on what 20 matches or so. That sample size is far to small. Many a young player at 18 looked good at the start but never kicked on.

What would be interesting is it someone had some comparisons with Ashley Coles career. By all accounts he was an attacking player playing as a forward around 13-14 then went to a left wing back role and then finally ending up as a left back.

The one thing is is that Saka may truly love attacking and he may truly hate defending. Someone might think your better in one position but you may not enjoy playing there and ultimately you may want to move on to fulfill your dream.

Would Saka rather play left back for Arsenal or say Left wing for a similar size club?

You're right, but as fans it is hard for us to think how footballers do.

It is possible that Saka doesnt enjoy playing in defence. It sounds like a small issue, but if (and I'm hypothesising) he'd be more motivated by becoming an elite forward, it could be a deal breaker if we forced him into defence.

I'm sure many of us in our job roles would move elsewhere if our role was changed into one less enjoyable.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I have a huge amount of respect for Lucassen and his work/ideas. That said, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Saka can prove him wrong. Also he is underrated in small spaces - much more subtle than given credit. Ironically, that's precisely why I think hes such a unique weapon at LB but he can he either LB or LW and do both to a very high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom