• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Porto vs Arsenal | 10/12/08

oasis_gooner

images
vs
images

We need a draw here to win the group and avoid a tie against the likes of Barcelona, Inter Milan or Juventus. We'll probably have to do without Cesc and Nasri for this one. Following this is a lunch time kick off at game raisers Boro on Saturday, a game which I don't expect us to win anyway. So Wenger should field the strongest available side to avoid defeat at Porto and hopefully give us a prolonged run in the CL.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member
Re: FC Porto v Arsenal | CL, Group G | 10 December 2008 | 19:45

I reckon plenty of people will be rested for this game, the likes of Bendtner, Vela, Ramsey coming in.

We need players rested for the match up at Boro, thats the important match.

Finishing top is rather irrelevent as far as im concerned, firstly you can't guarentee who is going to finish top of the other groups, so by finishing top of your group you arnt necessarily going to avoid the 'big teams', and anyway we usually do better against the 'big teams'. The only team so far guaranteed to finish top of their group is Barcelona.

I reckon we will see something like this

Fabianski

Sagna-Toure-Silvestre-Clichy

Eboue-Ramsey-Song-Wilshere

Bendtner-Vela

TomasCR

Established Member

I think that Arsène will play with some awfully young line-up. We will lose this one, end up on 2th and play then against Barcelona, Inter or Madrid, like it was last season.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

TomasCR said:
I think that Arsène will play with some awfully young line-up. We will lose this one, end up on 2th and play then against Barcelona, Inter or Madrid, like it was last season.

Yes, and we won on a memorable night.

I fancy us to beat any team in this competition, its having to face fellow English teams that usually **** us up.

Tony Montana

Established Member

Usually? We've played English teams twice and lost but then we've lost more times against foreign opposition for years. After all we've never won the CL.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

Tony Montana said:
Usually? We've played English teams twice and lost but then we've lost more times against foreign opposition for years. After all we've never won the CL.

In recent times we've lost to Chelsea, Liverpool and supposed 'lower opposition' PSV. Whilst we've beat Milan, Real Madrid, Juve in recent times.

So excuse me if i'm not overly concerned about finishing top of the group.

Tony Montana

Established Member

SimplyFabregas said:
Tony Montana said:

In recent times we've lost to Chelsea, Liverpool and supposed 'lower opposition' PSV. Whilst we've beat Milan, Real Madrid, Juve in recent times.

So excuse me if i'm not overly concerned about finishing top of the group.

Yeah but PSV and Bayern Munich are not English, two teams we've also lost to in the CL, both in recent times.

kamikaze80

Established Member

it's gonna be a crap midfield regardless, so i'd rather rest fabregas, adebayor and van persie. not too bothered if we lose, though it's obviously good to win. i doubt porto will be trying too hard, either.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

Tony Montana said:
Yeah but PSV and Bayern Munich are not English, two teams we've also lost to in the CL, both in recent times.

Indeed, and your making rather alot of my exaggerated comments arnt you. :wink:

Anyway, our team is far more suited to playing teams on the continent, and i fancy our chances alot more without a draw against a fellow English team on the way to the final. :mrgreen:

Tony Montana

Established Member

Yeah I don't want to face English opponents either. However I can see us slipping against a team like Atletico.

True Gooner

Established Member

I agree with SimplyFabregas - I dont care where we finish in our group. There arent any easy ties if your Arsenal, since we like to give everyone a chance. ;)

GoonerGurjit

Established Member

Does anybody know if Diaby is going to be back anytime soon?

I thought you can't face opposition from the same country until the quarter-finals?

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

GoonerGurjit said:
I thought you can't face opposition from the same country until the quarter-finals?

You can't, i was just saying i'd rather avoid them altogether.

progman07

Established Member

It will be probably something like:

Almunia

Sagna Silvestre Toure Clichy

Ramsey Denilson Song Diaby

Bendtner Vela

But I'd like to see Wilshere involved, too.

MDGoonah41

Established Member

Tony Montana said:
Yeah I don't want to face English opponents either. However I can see us slipping against a team like Atletico.

Yeah, but you assume the absolute worst heading into every fixture, so I doubt it matters who we draw with regard to how you'll feel.

Gunner4life09

Although I'd really like to see vela and bendy in action together I doubt wenger will rest both robin and ade.

I try to remain optimistic and I'm don't expect the worse. I think we'll win it or at least get the draw we need.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

oasis_gooner said:
We need a draw here to win the group and avoid a tie against the likes of Barcelona, Inter Milan or Juventus. We'll probably have to do without Cesc and Nasri for this one. Following this is a lunch time kick off at game raisers Boro on Saturday, a game which I don't expect us to win anyway. So Wenger should field the strongest available side to avoid defeat at Porto and hopefully give us a prolonged run in the CL.
Really? Oh well, that can keep until then.

We've qualified, Porto's qualified. It's away, probably a good thing considering, and I'd be happy with a draw, but think we can get a win. The return to England of a healthy squad would be nice also.

As for the first or second scenario, every single group bar the Barca/Sporting group is going down to the wire.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

Fabianski
Eboue - Gallas - Silvestre - Gibbs
Denilson - Song - Ramsey - Wilshere
Bendtner - Vela

It's Porto away and we're already through to the next stage. A draw will do, but a loss is acceptable. If we're gonna win the Champions League we better be ready to beat any team. I prefer to hit it off against a big club immediately, like we did last year with Milan. I'd love to get Barcelona in the next fixture. There's some business to take care off right there.

oasis_gooner

AnthonyG said:
As for the first or second scenario, every single group bar the Barca/Sporting group is going down to the wire.

Juventus have a home game against BATE. So a draw for them would be enough to secure top spot. Inter's situation is tricky though as they are away to Bremen, so yeah maybe we'll get them even if we win our group.

oasis_gooner

Klaus Daimler said:
Fabianski
Eboue - Gallas - Silvestre - Gibbs
Denilson - Song - Ramsey - Wilshere
Bendtner - Vela

It's Porto away and we're already through to the next stage. A draw will do, but a loss is acceptable. If we're gonna win the Champions League we better be ready to beat any team. I prefer to hit it off against a big club immediately, like we did last year with Milan. I'd love to get Barcelona in the next fixture. There's some business to take care off right there.

As you've pretty much included squad players in the line up (Not applicable to Song and Denilson since each is the only option in those positions), you might as well replace Gallas with Toure so that Gallas is ready for Boro.

And be careful with what you wish for Klaus. Barcelona are looking as good if not better than the 2006 team. Our record goalscorer is starting to hit form and Hleb is considered a squad player at Camp Nou when he would readily walk into our team at this moment. I reckon they'll play us off the park if we get paired with them.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom