• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Cody Gakpo

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Then again this guy isn’t that experienced, does he even definitely bench Gabi? I think any winger we sign should be benching Gabi/ESR on paper.
I don´t necessarily agree. Ideally that would be the case but nothing wrong with signing an extremely talented young-ish player, who is not quite as young as Gabi, and seeing if he proves to be an immediate upgrade.

Put it this way, if Liverpool didn't sign Luis Díaz and you could sign him now, knowing what you know about how he's done so far, would you? Well if that's true then I think you don't rule out someone like Gakpo--who'd you say the same as you would about Díaz, before he signed for Liverpool--that it´s not clear he would bench Gabi on paper.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I don´t necessarily agree. Ideally that would be the case but nothing wrong with signing an extremely talented young-ish player, who is not quite as young as Gabi, and seeing if he proves to be an immediate upgrade.

Put it this way, if Liverpool didn't sign Luis Díaz and you could sign him now, knowing what you know about how he's done so far, would you? Well if that's true then I think you don't rule out someone like Gakpo--who'd you say the same as you would about Díaz, before he signed for Liverpool--that it´s not clear he would bench Gabi on paper.
As long as the outcome is the same then I don’t mind how we get there.

Gakpo’s more of a risk but he does look very talented tbh.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
This definitely looks like a reliable report right? Don't know much about the player but stats and videos look good. Hopefully he can replicate in the PL

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids

Player:White

Is it clear that Luís Diaz would bench Martinelli though? I would have many doubts. So does Gakpo, who plays in a small league and is two years older. The truth is that Gabi had little sequence with Arteta in his best position (LW), but his evolution has been very positive and he is only 20 years old, now is the time for him to conquer all the minutes possible because he is in age to grow absurdly in football. And then I'm sure we'll all make fun of someone comparing Luis Diaz's type of players, Gakpo's and others to Gabriel Martinelli. Martinelli is going to be a top EPL player in the next 18 months imo.

Now, if Arteta commits the crime of not giving the minutes and confidence to the most promising young man on the team, then Martinelli should leave the club and go to a club where he will be truly valued, and Arsenal will pay for Arteta's choices.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
If I remember correctly, we tried to sign Coady at the final week of January and he ended signing a new contract. The interest looks real to me. I like the fact that he’s tall. We definitely need some height in our front line.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I've been reliably informed by a Dutch PSV fan that he believes this guy has the technical qualities to be the CF Arteta wants. Tho thinks LW is still where you get the best out of him especially if you're looking for output

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
This definitely looks like a reliable report right? Don't know much about the player but stats and videos look good. Hopefully he can replicate in the PL
Yeah, Eindhovens Dagblad is reliable for PSV.
In my opinion LW is the position where the quality doesn't drop if either one of Martinelli or ESR is injured. In that sense buying a LW is weird, because the assumption is that these players will only get better. And they're already top 6 level at 20-21 years old.

So if we buy a player who is LW/ST, I have to assume that Arteta is likely teaching ESR or Martinelli a new position. Unless they buy a player like Gakpo only as a rotational player for the striker role, behind a top striker, which wouldn't make much sense.

ESR as #8 would make sense at some point. Or they have Martinelli cover RW. Or?
I guess I just don't see ESR as a proper winger, but rather as a midfielder. I also reckon Martinelli has a part to play next season as a back-up striker behind the marquee striker signing (we had the discussion about signing one or two strikers) making us a little light on the left. Saka is our most nailed on player at RW and I'm against signing 'cover/depth' players. I'd rather sign a talented player who can push for a starting XI spot. Cody and Martinelli would be a good combination, because Gakpo is a little more experienced and both can play in multiple positions.

TornadoTed

Established Member
He looks quality from the little I have seen of him.

Gakpo, Saka, Ødegaard, ESR and Martinelli would be five quality and flexible options for the 3 positions behind the striker. To improve and compete in more competitions we need to be able to rotate and cover injuries without drop off in quality, I think this signing would give us that.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Is this guy more of a risk than Osihmen/Nunez/Isak? Considering what those guys would cost, not for me.

People that have watched him say he has the ability to play CF, and when you watch the clips you can see why. He may be that tall athletic forward Arteta wants.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He looks quality from the little I have seen of him.

Gakpo, Saka, Ødegaard, ESR and Martinelli would be five quality and flexible options for the 3 positions behind the striker. To improve and compete in more competitions we need to be able to rotate and cover injuries without drop off in quality, I think this signing would give us that.

It's more the 3 upfront, not 3 behind the striker. Ødegaard should be classified as a midfielder for me, and we could do with some competition for him at RCM, as well as an upgrade on Xhaka at LCM.

I think the squad needs 5 top class forwards (Gabi, Saka, ESR, ?, ?) as well as two more attacking midfielders/number 8s to really challenge. Highly unlikely that all gets done in one window, but guess we have to trust the process...

TornadoTed

Established Member
It's more the 3 upfront, not 3 behind the striker. Ødegaard should be classified as a midfielder for me, and we could do with some competition for him at RCM, as well as an upgrade on Xhaka at LCM.

I think the squad needs 5 top class forwards (Gabi, Saka, ESR, ?, ?) as well as two more attacking midfielders/number 8s to really challenge. Highly unlikely that all gets done in one window, but guess we have to trust the process...
As I was writing it I was thinking I would get picked up on it as we have moved from 4231 more to a 433 but I still think of Ødegaard as the most advanced of the midfield and part of an attacking 4 more than part of a midfield 3. The average player position maps I have seen support that also.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Would take him but not if he’s the only forward we bring in.

Gakpo + a Nunez/Isak/Lautaro/DCL/Toney and it makes sense.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
As I was writing it I was thinking I would get picked up on it as we have moved from 4231 more to a 433 but I still think of Ødegaard as the most advanced of the midfield and part of an attacking 4 more than part of a midfield 3. The average player position maps I have seen support that also.

Yeah, he's in a hybrid role. Basically a number 10 out of possession, number 8 when we have the ball. I think the current system actually really good and worth persisting with. That Xhaka upgrade is so important, get someone as good defensively as Xhaka, but that offers something in the final 3rd and we're in business.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Now that I have thought about it and watched one YouTube video, heh, I really prefer Gakpo over Nunez. Half cheaper, better technique and better combination play it seems. Dutch league is a bit worse, but you can really see the quality of the player.

And we can buy a starting striker in addition to him, because he is more of a LW than ST currently. Moving ESR to play more of the #8/#10 also makes sense, and Arteta did give him the #10 number.

That is important, because let's say we buy DCL as the starting ST for cheap for example if Everton goes down. Then next season our 2nd and 3rd strikers would be Gakpo and Martinelli.

Now, naturally we don't want to block Balogun's path to Arsenal, because his Boro loan has been on an upward path. So season after the next one, after Balogun has got a second loan, Gakpo can be our LW and Balogun and Martinelli be our 2nd and 3rd strikers, if Balogun's level goes up like expected.

Martinelli naturally rotates with Gakpo, and the in-form player plays more on the LW.

I hope we get him, because it would be quite perfect.

I also respect that the player extended his contract to his youth team, and as so got them a proper transfer fee. Speaks about his personality.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Is it clear that Luís Diaz would bench Martinelli though?
You’re comparing a 25 year old experienced player who has seamlessly slotted into probably the best attack in the world to Gabi who is still very much a prospect, albeit it a very good one.

Come on 🤦🏾‍♂️

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Some of the touches and dribbles this kid have pulled off are pure class regardless of the league it’s in.

Could see him being the central striker in a Liverpool type setup but not in ours though.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom