• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dean Kiely

asajoseph

Established Member
For the first two matches in the Champions League? No, it will be a very big problem. I think you'd be very hard challenged to name a goalkeeper who was ready for the Premiership at Mannone's age, and most definitely not the pressure of the CL - the guy's still a kid, and there's not a cat's chance in hell Wenger will consider playing him in the first two games of that competition.

It's not a dig at Mannone, I'm sure he's a great keeper, but the fact is, goalkeepers take longer to develop than most outfield players, and it's highly likely that Mannone is no exception - he won't be ready for the CL, and we can't just afford to take gambles like that in a competition where every single point is absolutely vital.

AFCG7

Established Member
asajoseph you're right but i remember Real Madrid putting Casillas between the sticks in the CL at age 17, and also remember Paul RObinson for Leeds? Add to that Scott Carson for Liverpool also in the CL.

I'm not saying Manone is ready but there is precedent for using a young keeper in the biggest European competition when forced by injury/suspension.

As it is the situation is not forced on us yet..we could still sign a keeper.

asajoseph

Established Member
Scott Carson was 19 when he played for Liverpool - still very young, obviously, but there's a big difference between 17 and 19 in a goalkeeper, I reckon. As for Paul Robinson, he didn't start playing regularly for Leeds until he was 23, he made 24 appearances at 21/22 (including 6 in Europe), as well as 6 when he was 20.

Casillas too was 19 when he won the CL with Madrid in 2000, although I don't know how old he was when he made his debut...

Anyhow, some rather irrelevant stats for you there - but my point is, that no matter how good Mannone is, and knowing that Wenger values at least some experience, I don't think there's any chance of seeing him at all this season. Not unless things go horribly horribly wrong on the injury front. We will sign a new keeper now, there's no two ways about it.

Arsenal Quotes

An Arsenal fan, when you finish fourth, will say, “Hey, we’ve been in the top four for twenty years. We want to win the league!”. They don’t care that Manchester City or Chelsea have spent 300 or 400 million euros. They just want to beat them.
But if you finish fifteenth two years running, they will be happy if you finish fourth after that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom