• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Do Arsenal need a new striker?

peterfc

I personally think Giroud has done well this season and that Welbeck could improve. I just wondered what you guys think? I've included a poll because it's quite difficult to gauge what people think en masse!

Also, would you maybe leave suggestions of who you think we should go for - however realistic!

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Nah think we can win the league with Giroud and Welbeck.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Personally, I lean towards yes.

Both of our main CF options are flawed players in some capacity:

- Giroud should be commended for how well he has done despite his limitations as a player. He's done respectably considering his reputation as a nearly-player and his countless missed sitters that have punctuated his time at Arsenal. However, taking into account the above, as well as the fact that his style of play is almost an antithesis to our preferred mode of playing, it must surely be known even to his biggest supporters in the fanbase that he is not the answer.

- Welbeck is the polar opposite of Giroud stylistically. He's fast, strong, runs the channels well and is decent enough on the ball that he doesn't lose it as soon as he attempts to dribble. The issue with Welbeck is that he is not only injury prone and not able to sustain a run in the team, but when he does play, he is not clinical enough in the final third to justify being given an extended stay in the first XI. Granted. he's a far better fit to the style of the team but ultimately we lose the better goalscorer in Giroud (never though I'd say that :lol:).

Now, our biggest scoring threat is neither of these guys, it's Alexis Sanchez - who plays behind one of these guys. Now if he goes, it means we have to replace his goal thread, and that means potentially signing two attackers. One of them absolutely has to be a better CF than one of the above, or at the very least have a higher ceiling than them. I struggle to think of a big name who would be immediately available to us who would want to come outside of a small handful of well known strikers like Lacazette or possibly Lukaku. Mbappe is a longshot.

So when it comes to a CF, I'm not concerned with their status - only if their profile fits what we need as a team - a fast, skilful CF who doesn't sh*t the bed in front of goal. Big name or not. We can take a punt on a potential break-out player and hope he does an Mbappe. If they don't get a chance, how do you even know they are good? I would prefer we either bring in a new face who has the characteristics of that fast, skillful CF or bring one of Mavididi, Malen or Nketiah into the fold, as they all potentially have a high ceiling.

The dream for me is Mbappe, or someone similar.

THISISIT

We haven't won't the league in years, everyone from fans and pundits say we need a top top striker!...the stats say we need a striker and we 100% need a top striker! Both of ours are massively flawed and need massively upgraded!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We need more quality up front, yes. More options, better options.

Tho the most likely scenario is that Alexis leaves and we replace him with Lemar and Lacazette, in which case it'd be hard to say how much it strengthens us. We can always hope that Welbeck starts to become more of a goals threat or a young lad like Nelson/Willock emerges and becomes our Rashford type who just enters the team and starts firing instantly.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
A new striker? We need "a striker", have done since RVP! Much as I love Giroud, his pace just keeps him on the lower level for CF. If we can keep Alexis & bring in Mbappe, they could share the left and CF positions but it wouldn't take long before one of them, probably Mbappe, becomes our recognised CF. Alexis for me is better on the left anyway, having said that I don't see us keeping him.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Yes we do. Giroud and Welbeck are serviceable and each have a use but we need a "match winner" upfront if we actually/seriously want to compete for anything.

Hell let's be real we even needed a striker WHEN we had RVP!

While RVP was extremely talented we time and again needed him but he was always injured and although we signed some strikers they were always stop gap/B-grade options as he, RVP, was going to be first choice and straight back in the team once fit. IMO in a way he held us back.

RVP had one season when he was fit and WC, by then our only other WC player left (Cesc), yet the **** had the cheek to move to United to win silverware as his career of being injured yet not being moved on or no longer depended upon didn't bring him much silverware.

God RVP was such a snake. Still winds me up. /rant

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Yes we do. Giroud and Welbeck are serviceable and each have a use but we need a "match winner" upfront if we actually/seriously want to compete for anything.

Hell let's be real we even needed a striker WHEN we had RVP!

While RVP was extremely talented we time and again needed him but he was always injured and although we signed some strikers they were always stop gap/B-grade options as he, RVP, was going to be first choice and straight back in the team once fit. IMO in a way he held us back.

RVP had one season when he was fit and WC, by then our only other WC player left (Cesc), yet the **** had the cheek to move to United to win silverware as his career of being injured yet not being moved on or no longer depended upon didn't bring him much silverware.

God RVP was such a snake. Still winds me up. /rant
RVP used Wenger. AW didn't buy any top talent so as to not upset RVP, and how did he repay him..,. Horrible cvnt,

GDeep™

League is very weak
We need a top GK, a top CB, and top CM, maybe another wide option and most of all, a quality CF.

Giroud is Giroud. He will try, do his best but you can't deny he falls short. Off the bench though, the guy is absolute quality as proven last season.

Arsenal Quotes

Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom