• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Do we have the world's best midfield?

arsenallegends

Established Member
Im seriously sleep deprived today, Özil somewhat to blame. You'll happily wipe an entire carton of rotten things off your face...and take back all the eggs to the fridge?" ;)

Inthe blood

Established Member
Chelsea have a little more depth but I would take our starting 3/5 in the Premiership, it's not as if Özil would need much time to settle, have a few quid on Arsenal to win the champions league each way at 30-1

ArseneKnows-47

Özil, Cazorla and Wilshere blow away all other midfielders in the league in my opinion, with regards to talent, but we could do with one more established physical midfielder. Could Flamini be that midfielder? Only time will tell.

Chappers

Juve's midifeld deserves a mention. Pirlo, Vidal and Pogba is a sick collection of cms but they lacked genuine class out wide last season. Haven't followed their signings much outside of the homesick Argentine so they may have done something about that.

When I first read the OP it felt laughable to even suggest it but looking at our midfield, we have the right pieces their to make a case for it.
Our midfield already looks very strong and there's much to get excited about Ramsey's room for growth and we all know Wilshere can explode at any moment. Good professionals to learn from in Arteta, Rosicky and Flamini as well, so even before the signing of Özil, we look a lot stronger compared to the same stage last season.

Walcott looks like the odd one out in terms of quality but he's absolutely crucial to take full advantage of our insane creative ability. He hasn't quite hit the ground running as of yet this season but he will most likely be the one to most benefit from Özil's arrival.

Bayern, Barca and Real all have better midfield's and only Özil can have a case for starting at any of them. Chelsea have an overload of options to choose from with most of them top class, but Arteta, Ramsey, Özil, Cazorla and Walcott can beat any team on their day. At this stage that's plenty good enough and there's not that many pieces left until we have a complete squad.

Have to mention Ramsey's development especially because he's truly made a meteorite rise in half a year and it's so gratifying to see him return to form after the leg break. I hope Wilshere can take heart from his improvement and you could say we have two of the most talented young cms in Europe fighting for a spot in our midfield. There's still far from certain they'll reach their full potential but we pride ourselves on creating stars and those two have the talent to help us reach the likes of Bayern and Barcelona in the future. They need to stay healthy and learn from the likes of Arteta, Özil and Cazorla and in those three they have the best of tutors.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
truth_hurts said:
DJ_Markstar said:
No, but at least it is a legitimate question now.

Next year when we sign Cesc we will 8))

Feels good doesn't it?!!!!

I like the fact we have an established league player in Arteta, 3 huge prospects in Ox, Wilshere and Ramsey and 2 genuine world class ones in Santi and Özil.

i like this way of looking at it, instead of shooting out names one by one. do we have the individual quality that can turn the game on its head? yes, two, perhaps wilshere on a good day. do we have experienced heads that give us consistency and maturity. i'd say arteta and rosicky do, and flamini as well. do we have enough to help the team defend from midfield? i think we do, in quality perhaps not as much as we'd like, but depth wise will have to do.

if only all of them were fit and developed just like in FIFA manager mode

squallkid

Established Member
Let's wait until the season passes before we have this discussion.

On paper is a lot different to reality

Buhry

Established Member

It's starting to look good. The likes of Bayern, Real and Barca are still better though. Possibly Juventus as well with Pogba/Vidal/Pirlo/marchisio.

If Ramsey keeps improving, Wilshere steps up/refinds his form, Özil adapts to the league well and Flamini keeps doing what he did against Sp**s we might have be contenders for best midfield in the league though ;)

It's a shame Wenger has once again ignored other areas of the team but hopefully the Özil signing is the start of Wenger changing his ways re transfer policy.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
I think on paper, taking into account our starting midfield and the players we have in depth, we have the best midfield in the league.

Midfielders:

7 Tomas Rosicky
8 Mikel Arteta
10 Jack Wilshere
11 Mesut Özil
14 Theo Walcott
15 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
16 Aaron Ramsey
19 Santi Cazorla
20 Mathieu Flamini
24 Abou Diaby
58 Gedion Zelalem

But in the world? Surely not. We lack that second world class midfielder that some of the top, top teams have. Chelsea have Mata, Oscar and Hazard, however I think we have greater depth and quality overall than Chelsea in midfield, but there's is still bloody brilliant.

a_fourteen

Established Member
truth_hurts said:
When Cesc rejoins next summer we will have the worlds best Midfield :)
tumblr_mmy7173cTR1ry4q0lo1_500.gif

fabo

6.51 / 10
No space for Cesc tbf, not needed anymore. A pacy wide player and another CF would be more useful.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Bayern's is the best in the world. Some ridiculous options, especially when you consider that Lahm can play/ has been playing at DM.

Buhry

Established Member

Taylor Gang Gunners said:
Bayern's is the best in the world. Some ridiculous options, especially when you consider that Lahm can play/ has been playing at DM.

And David Alaba :lol: Too bad they don't have any strikers.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
fabo said:
No space for Cesc tbf, not needed anymore. A pacy wide player and another CF would be more useful.

There is always space for a player like Cesc! he plays as a deeper play maker, Wilshere/Ramsey play box to box and Özil plays number 10. Some games Özil shifts to the wing and Cesc plays no.10 - anyway am getting way ahead of myself here.

On their best day Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla and Özil could stand up to the worlds best but are a long was away from proving to be anywhere near as talented and consistent as Martinez, Kroos, Ribery and Gotze; Khedeira, Modric, Isco, Bale (we might be stronger here actually) or Xavi, Busquets, Cesc and Iniesta.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom