• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Considering Transfer Targets: Summer 2022 🛒

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 14,044
  • Views 969,962

If we only make one more signing, which would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Why not?
There is no such thing as a "war-chest" btw, or a £200M budget.
Except for RC that you have to pay upfront, no club is paying the full price for a player.
Actually, that's not how clubs operate, at all.

Clubs pay transfers in instalments, and they take also in consideration wages they have to pay for the player.

This is why Ben White is a much cheaper deal for Arsenal than Varane, even though White was £20M more expensive.
Let's just say for the sake of it that Ben White is on 100k/week (idk on how much he is rn) and Varane is on 300k/week, if you pay the transfer over 4 years, Ben White would cost you 18,5M/year while Varane would cost 22,5M/year.

Why does it matter? Because our highest earner today is Partey, and most players are on "cheap" contracts. We lost all the big earners at the club. So our wagebill rn is really small.
We have a lot of room to get players in.

And if you noticed, we're targetting mostly young players rn who aren't on crazy wages. This is one of the reason why we should be able to bring 5/6 players in.
I know how clubs operate, but it's not how we've ever operated before. I'm not sure we even have the money to spend that high unless Kroenke bank rolls us which is possible but would be unusual for him.

You can believe otherwise but I personally don't think we'll spend £200+ million in this window.

Barry

Pretty much.

All the targets minus Raphina is still a very good summer for an Europa league club. If we were to go closer to the 200 mil mark than a CF would be a better option than Raphina in my opinion.

Jesus and Saka for the flanks with ESR and Martinelli covering is probably enough. That's even without knowing what role Vieira will play.
Me too 100%. If there was one more signing then I'd go for Scammaca or Osimhen if money was no object.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I think we're saying the same thing then right? Probably 4 players tops (excluding Marquinhos & Turner), probably £150m at most and probably not Raphinha.

That just feels the most likely to me. Obviously would be delighted if we got them all.

Think it will be 4 players and they'll go for Raphinha but if he prefers somewhere else they'll go back for Tielemans. If they get Raphinha Vieira will be used more as an 8 but if they don't they'll use him more out wide and bring in Tielemans to be an 8.

I think the money is mostly an irrelevance. Jesus, Vieira, Tielemans and Martinez is probably around £140m. Swapping Raphinha for Tielemans makes it £165m. I don't think they'll miss out on a top target over £15m (if we assume they budgeted for £150m).

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
I know how clubs operate, but it's not how we've ever operated before. I'm not sure we even have the money to spend that high unless Kroenke bank rolls us which is possible but would be unusual for him.

You can believe otherwise but I personally don't think we'll spend £200+ million in this window.

Our wage bill has never been that low.
That's the main difference.

This is why we might bring in 5 players this window.

And once again, we won't be spending £200M this window. This is just not how it works.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Our wage bill has never been that low.
That's the main difference.

This is why we might bring in 5 players this window.

And once again, we won't be spending £200M this window. This is just not how it works.

Good point. We've added Europa League revenue and now have created a lot of space in the budget shifting all those players on big wages. We probably have enough room on the books to sign players for a value of £200m in transfer fees (once you factor in amortisation of fee and wages).

The players we are linked to won't cost £200m anyway. Vieira cost £35m and there's no way Martinez, Jesus and Raphinha are going to cost a total of £165m.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
I can see us getting in the LB/LCB, STR, RW positions plus Viera..

Wouldnt be surprised if we left it late for Tielemans or similar.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
All these links have a whiff of the "war-chest" trolling that we get every season. Does anyone honestly believe that we are spending north of £200m in this window? I don't see it personally.

The Vieira signing was an unexpected wildcard and I think the question is whether he's seen as a midfielder or a winger. ESR & Martinelli lock down the left wing, Saka on the right so I think it will be either Tielemans or Raphinha coming in (if we get either of them). Raphinha just seems an unlikely signing to me - bringing a superstar on a flank where our best player is. You can switch him to the other side but then one of ESR or Martinelli doesn't get any minutes at all hardly.

Jesus has to be the priority now, Martinez makes a lot of sense if he's as versatile as expected. Think that might be it unless we make a late move for Tielemans.

I think you also have to consider the wage bill. Auba and Lacazette going saves over 300k, and guys like Leno, Bellerin, AMN, Torreira, Guendouzi are likely going. On the wage front, I'd think their is definitely scope to add the players we are linked with. I can't imagine guys like Vieira and Martinez being on that much money either tbh.

Barry

I'm not a huge fan, but I would have gambled on DCL if the price was right. Have him Jesus and Eddie duke it out.
Eddie's contract is the wild card really. I can sort of see the logic for Richarlison even though I don't particularly rate him because he would give us something different at RW and CF which could still work with the players we have.

DCL - I've no problem with an out & out penalty box striker, but Eddie kind of does than now anyway (with more agility and less of the BMUT stuff). Did he properly recover from his injury as well? That would be a slight concern

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

DCL - I've no problem with an out & out penalty box striker, but Eddie kind of does than now anyway (with more agility and less of the BMUT stuff). Did he properly recover from his injury as well? That would be a slight concern

The injury is kinda why I'd take the punt hoping it drives the price down. I am unsure though. All our young wingers and attacking mids are gagging for some presence in the box that I don't think Jesus or Eddie provide despite their hustle.

Arteta identifying all these big men just to go another season with these small types wouldn't be progress I think, but let's see.

Last edited:

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

If we don't line up vs Nurnberg with Raphina and Jesus I'm gunna be fuming

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

You're lucky to see Vieira there. Currently he resides in a dungeon, waiting for a green light from the media team.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I don’t think they’re going to be there for the Germany training camp, they’ll be back for the US tour a few days later.

Barry

The injury is kinda why I'd take the punt hoping it drives the price down. I am unsure though. All our young wingers and attacking mids are gagging for some presence in the box that I don't think Jesus or Eddie provide despite their hustle.

Arteta identifying all these big men just to go another season with these small types wouldn't be progress I think, but let's see.
It does seem odd that we were linked to every big striker going and now that plan seems to have been jettisoned. Jesus is one of the best options out there imo so I'm not against it... Even the Eddie contract - it's a punt, but if it allows some big signings elsewhere then it may look ok at the end of the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom