• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

England squad for Euro 2004

Soler

Established Member
The England Squad for 2004 as announced on Sky:

D. James, P. Robinson, I. Walker

W. Bridge, S. Campbell, J. Carragher, A. Cole, L. King, G.Neville, P.Neville, J. Terry

D.Beckham, N. Butt, J. Cole, K.Dyer, S.Gerrard, O.Hargreaves, F. Lampard, P.Scholes

E.Heskey, M.Owen, W.Rooney, D.Vassell

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
so he DID leave out Jermaine Defoe.. i was wondering if he was going to pick Defoe or Vassell... should have gone with Defoe.. he's played very well of late.... other than that, no real surprises.. except maybe not picking Upson

KingReyes

Established Member
Gareth Southgate, Birmingham City's Matthew Upson, Scott Parker of Chelsea, Defoe, Smith and Everton's Richard Wright have been placed on stand-by.

No surprises really, pretty much what was expected.

Henry IV

Sven is too conservative a manager. Why doesn't he pick Gareth Barry who has been brilliant in the past two seasons and is left footed? He is sure to play Scholes, even though he has stopped scoring goals for England. Nicky Butt has been nowhere near the Man Utd first team this year and now he's in the England squad ahead of Scott Parker. Kieron Dyer too. Heskey will probably start before Rooney. If England win Euro 2004 with this squad then Sven is better man than I.

VCC

Considered posting this as a news article on the main site. Thought better of it.

"Today, Sven Goran Eriksson named the 23 men who will comprise his underachieving squad this summer in Portugal. These 23 players will join a long list of Englishmen to bugger off and relax in some paradise like Sardinia before completely flopping in an international tournament.

Two Arsenal defenders, Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole, made the squad and will no doubt be embarrassed in about a month's time. However, good news for Arsenal fans is that the high number of Manchester United and Liverpool players (Butt, Scholes, both Nevilles, Carragher, Gerrard, Owen, and Heskey) means those clubs will likely take most of the blame after England follows up a brilliant performance against France with horrible losses against Switzerland and Croatia.

And if that fails, there's always Rio..."

Adam

Established Member
Still, a poor squad nonetheless. Woodgate and Southgate unlucky, Shaun Wright Phillips should get a look in, Scott Parker over Nicky Butt, and Defoe over Heskey. Ameobi is a far more technically competent player than Heskey too. I'd take him.

brianfrance

Established Member
A used squad, sorry to say that. I'd like to see new heads in Portugal, Like Wright-Philips Defoe Parker etc...

Evil Dragon

Butt and Cole instead of Wright-Phillips and Parker :shock: , they have hardly played this season. And Vassel and Heskey instead of Smith and Defoe........please :roll:

wiltord11

why didnt he take philips hs scored 11 goals in the last 15 games hes in form or take beattie these two players are in form hes taking players on reputation not on current form. look dyer 3 goals this year including the fa cup thats awful why didnt he put in smith or parker and why has he put in ledley king when he has played mifield all season i would of put southgate or upson a head of him. i hope campbell or terry dont get knocks.

Arjan

Who is going to score the goals for England on Euro 2004?
The attacking part of the squad seems very small for a big tournament, if Owen gets injured, there is no real back up.

patrick42uk

Established Member
butt has to go because i dont beleive there is any english player out there at the moment as disciplined as he is in front of the back four.

if you are an england fan, whenver you play, hold on to your rosary beads and pray ledley king does not get on the pitch!

Mark

Established Member
That is really poor. I agree with most of the comments on here. Parker should be there, Smith and Defoe should be there. All the blame will go to Arsenal players don't worry about that. I don't care about England anyway.

AFCG7

Established Member
Beattie instead of Heskey and why on earth didnt Gareth Barry . make the team.. he is probably the best left sided English player .
The cover in defense and up front looks really poor.. the midfield should be ok apart from the left side.. i expect Cole to be given hell all through the competition.
But you never know with England sometimes.

Chips&CurrySauce

Defoe and Wright Phillips should definately have been selected in my opinion, probably instead of Joe Cole and Vassell.

Lets face it if England are losing a game both Defoe and Wright Phillips could be great subs who could change a game with their speed and good finishing.

lewdikris

Established Member
It's always a problem taking players with no international experience whatsoever - and I think the only controversial decision is taking Vassell rather than Smith or Defoe. But Vassell's always done well for England so I'd go with it...

The major problem England have isn't squad selection, it's just a lack of top top quality players. The first choice team is fine (although it lacks creative inspiration), but no-one else he could have taken has proven themselves as being able to break a game at the highest level. And i don't think taking Parker, or Smith, or Defoe would have made any difference to that problem.

Sammer

Established Member
lewdikris said:
The major problem England have isn't squad selection, it's just a lack of top top quality players. The first choice team is fine (although it lacks creative inspiration), but no-one else he could have taken has proven themselves as being able to break a game at the highest level. .

On a rational level, you are perfectly right, lewdikris.

But when you look at major tournaments - e.g. the WC 2002 - teams with huge creative potential such as France, the Netherlands and Portugal - didn´t even make it to the semi-finals.

And a team with almost no creative potential - Germany - made it to the finals.

Do not underestimate the importance of team spirit, determination and grit. If the english team can get their act together in terms of the characteristics mentioned above, I can see them going places in the Euro 2004.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom