• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

England squad for Euro 2004

Gurgen

Established Member
Sammer said:
lewdikris said:
The major problem England have isn't squad selection, it's just a lack of top top quality players. The first choice team is fine (although it lacks creative inspiration), but no-one else he could have taken has proven themselves as being able to break a game at the highest level. .

And a team with almost no creative potential - Germany - made it to the finals.

You lot had Ballack :lol:

Triffid

Sammer's raised an interesting point.

Over the last few days I've been thinking that this was a poor squad. For the same reasons as many of you Defoe, Parker, Smith... some not mentioned eg Johnson... and the biggest problem facing English football today...

... NEVILLES!!!

However, isn't it a bit rich for we Gooners to be sitting here all high and mighty over our teams superb effort this year, and then abuse Sven for sticking with some players.

I agree entirely with those lauding Lewdikris' article that points out Loyalty is the number one reason for our success this year. Hasn't Sven done much the same with the English team? He's giving players like Butt and Dyer the rationale to give the team their all. He has shown faith in them, now they need to repay that.

I just suddenly wonder if this isn't a very clever selection. He's got nearly all the players that we've mentioned as missing out going to training anyway. They'll get the experience and can be swapped in if there is a major form problem. But most importantly the team will feel like a team.

He's possibly harnessing the spirit that was displayed by the team against the FA when they suspended Rio.

Maybe Sven DOES know a thing or two about football. Who knew?! ;)

lewdikris

Established Member
Exactly - the core of that squad IS Eriksson's very own England squad - except for the problems in central defense. Otherwise, every name there are the ones we should have expected.... International teams have so little time to gel, that keeping a squad together is the only real chance you have to develop team spirit.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal is in my blood as well as my heart. I will always, always, always remember you guys. I said I was going to be a Gooner for life and I did not lie because when you are a Gooner, you will always be a Gooner. This club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom