• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Arsenal vs Stoke City | 05/12/09 | 15:00

asajoseph

Established Member
xcdude24 said:
On a similar note, why is Sagna allowed to put in so many final balls? It's unreal how many poor crosses he makes.

I slagged him off earlier in the season for having a poor final ball, and suddenly he picked it up massively for a few games, and really improved.

Yesterday, he was back to his worst though.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
xcdude24 said:
SA Gunner said:
There is hope however, if we look at how Sagna has improved with his crossing over the last few games

what?

Yes indeed. I will concede though that he wasnt good against Stoke.. but I will not deny his improved form in this area of late. May it continue.

Kain

Established Member
Interesting, just checked the losses we've had in the league this season Eboue started the Man Utd game was subbed at 70 mins, did not start the City game yet came on as sub late in the game, but played no part in the recent losses to Sunderland & Chelsea. Eboue seems pretty far from our biggest problem to me.

Captain

Established Member
Six starts, two at full back I think. Four substitute appearances. One goal and two assists. There's some end product there.

Eboue is probably our best squad player right now, he's doing well this season.

flobaba

and one clearance off the wrong goal line too..

still think he's a clown.

Just thank the gods it was Stoke. Players like these cost us in the 'real' games.

algunner

Captain said:
Six starts, two at full back I think. Four substitute appearances. One goal and two assists. There's some end product there.

That is so true considering that we have injury prone Walcott with no guts to attack or take a man. Eboue give the team balance in midfield because he can play as a defensive right flank or an attacking winger even though his decision when attacking is poor as anyone you can find. At least he contributes something to the team unlike some players who know how to attack but vanish when needed most. I say Eboue should have played against Chelsea and should play against Liverpool if fit....Sagna should not be allowed to cross the ball to anyone ....must only cut back or forward to a player. We might at well just pass the ball to the defenders and start over....someone pls tell him he stinks at crossing making it even worse when we got no target man soooooo stop crossing ffs..........pleaseeeeeeee.

progman07

Established Member
algunner said:
Captain said:

That is so true considering that we have injury prone Walcott with no guts to attack or take a man.
You mean take on a man?

:lol: One thing Walcott does over and over again is trying to beat his man. You can't be serious. Even lagos will tell you that Walcott is the player who always takes on his man. That he doesn't always succeed, and that he makes too many wrong decisions, is a different story.

patrick42uk

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I don't see the point - there's so little substance to Eboue, that even if he makes some dangerous runs, it will always, always, always result in f**k-all.

Sure in terms of the final ball or the final shot, Eboue is useless. But his link play is exceptional; he's good at making himself available for the ball, can play in tight spaces, little give and gos. He helps to make us a more fluid offensive unit and helps to keep the ball in the offensive third to maintain pressure on the opposition. I dont think this should be underplayed. Ideally you'd want a member of the front three to contribute this and the goals and assists but Eboue as has been mentioned is a squad player and for this position provides a useful service.

Captain

Established Member
flobaba said:

Just thank the gods it was Stoke. Players like these cost us in the 'real' games.

You honestly believe that he could have got out of the way of that shot?

Maybe Cesc should have hit it at the other three metres of goal either side of Eboue....

longrufus

Established Member
xcdude24 said:
On a similar note, why is Sagna allowed to put in so many final balls? It's unreal how many poor crosses he makes.
I dont think its a case of being allowed to, more that he gets into good corssing positions (providing an overlap) and would rather get a ball into the box than waste the chance too. His crossing and final ball is on average dreadful.
For me against the weaker teams like Stoke Sagna shouldnt be playing, Eboue from RB would offer far more. His final ball may well be average, but it's a big improvement over Sagna.

Mark

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Even if RVP was fit, I'd play Arshavin central.

Strong words. Arshavin did look very well suited to the role, but we must remember we were only playing Stoke. Hopefully he'll play a few more games there, then we'll see. They'd probably be really good together in a 4-4-2, but we won't see that again any time soon.

asajoseph

Established Member
I don't know if I'd always play Arshavin centrally, but he's one of few players we have who's really got the skill and composure to create things in the final third even against good defences.

That said, he also had a few horrible misses against Stoke - I do think he can still be a lot, lot better.

Zico

Established Member
A fit team would probably look like Arshavin - RVP - Bentdtner based on what I've seen this year. I still like RVP as the focal point. Arshavin can do and go wherever he pleases. I'm not bothered, as long as he stays as active and as focused as he did yesterday

patrick42uk

Established Member
He got the balance absolutely spot on in terms of movement to attack space and making himself available for passes. It also allows him to be much more involved in our play than he is out wide. He's our best offensive player, in my opinion anyway, and the priority should be to get the best out of him.

I think the fact its Stoke just adds more to the argument in favour of him central. You knew he had the technique and that he has the intelligence but the question mark would have been about how he would handle himself against two big tough premiership center halves. They dont come much tougher than Abdoulaye Faye and Robert Huth and I felt he passed that test - his strength is underrated and his size, rather than being detrimental, causes real difficulties for defenders.

I keep thinking how different it might have been if we played Arshavin centrally against Chelsea.

Captain

Established Member
Stoke were a pub team yesterday to be honest. It was no test at all and not really a barometer for any future success (or failure) that Arshavin may have in that role.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Eboue adds a lot of missing pace ,ball retention even in the final third and his low crosses tend to be cause problem for the opposition as a pose to the slow floaters that sagna does .
As for Arshavin playing the central role he looked really good and seemed to enjoy the added responsibility . We could play him to through the centre and Eduardo or vela on the left with Bendtner on the right .

flobaba

Captain said:
flobaba said:

Maybe Cesc should have hit it at the other three metres of goal either side of Eboue....
Nope. I don't. However, I do honestly believe he shouldn't have been in the path of the shot in the first place. Just like Ade had no business hanging around the box for the goal City conceded vs chelsea. same **** Bendtner did that cost us a place in the CL semi's of '08.

Its more of poor positioning and poor attacking awareness than anything.

General

Established Member
Stoke may have been poor but this would go for any team who gives us that ridiculous amount of space to manoeuvre the ball. It will obviously be the complete opposite at their ground when they get in our faces, give us very little time on the ball and eventually turn us over.

flobaba said:
Captain said:
flobaba said:

Its more of poor positioning and poor attacking awareness than anything.

These things happen. You can't look too much into it.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown

Latest posts

Top Bottom