• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL – Sunderland vs Arsenal – 3:00pm - 11/02/12

RUS arsenal

Established Member
brady_style said:
Irish_Owen said:
brady_style said:
I didn't see him do this today. For me, he wasn't good today. He didn't do enough as a senior player to get the team going forward. So often he chose a simple sideways pass and too often he took up ridiculous positions ... five yards from Song. This meant that we kept the ball but offered so little in terms of attack.

It was up to Arteta to get on the ball, pass it and then move forward. He was a passenger out there today.
He was in possession of the ball more than any other player out there...

In what universe does that constitute as a 'passenger'?

When you consistently choose the easy pass. When you refuse to move into dangerous positions and are content to stand only metres from you DM for an entire game. Then you're not doing enough.

He's a senior pro he needs to do more for us in games like this. He's usually great for us .... lately he's looked a bit tired imo.

Easy pass?! What game were you watching mate? He threaded through many great balls forward to Rosicky, Theo, RvP, AOC, Verms but all of them just gave the ball away most of the time or didn't do anything with the space the great pass from Arteta gave them. In fact Arteta was the only one to thread through passes with almost 100% accuracy on a consistent basis, it was just that the forwards didn't do anything once Arteta got them into the final 3rd (which is his role and one he did perfectly today yet again).

It is unreal to expect him to play the Xavi, Cesc and Gilberto role all at the same time all on his own...

edit: I hope somebody makes a compilation of his play today just to show how amazing he was.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
dave_rwr said:
While I agree with you in that Arteta was strong again today... A passenger is still in the car for the whole ride. They just aren't driving and deciding where the car should be going. That analogy still works.
But, given the fact that many have been discussing how Arteta dictated our play today, and as I agreed with that, that analogy is completely contradictory.

mistaT

Established Member
Great win, not a great game.

Thought Sunderland really had us at times and in particular we looked poor for the start of the 2nd half. They were taking it to us and for a good ten minutes or so we were pinned back...credit to them, they're looking good and on the rise. McClean seems a talent and you have to respect what MON has done, class manager.

But:

Loved the come back win - was at the local Brit/footy bar surrounded by Chelsea fans and had to give it to them when we tied and went up. All the better as they were losing to Everton and looking pissed...wankers.

Credit to Arshavin as he does have the quality to produce regardless of playing time. Really is a super sub at this point and the kind of player who is great to have around to chase games, but never again as a starter.

Congrats to Ramsey...been hard on him and it was nice to see him bang one in.

Sagna with a strong game, Walcott looked ****e and the rest of the team did what they need to.

Big big big win....tied for 4th and its on!

Segway

This team team showed a lot of bottle today. Something that hasn't been present very often this season but they really gave it their all today right to the end. Very deserved victory which gives me great confidence in our quest for 4th.

Oh, and Henry is the BOMB. It's strange that you can have such strong affection for a person that you have never met and never will meet but Henry is that. Just legendary stuff from him.

dave_rwr

Established Member
Irish_Owen said:
dave_rwr said:
While I agree with you in that Arteta was strong again today... A passenger is still in the car for the whole ride. They just aren't driving and deciding where the car should be going. That analogy still works.
But, given the fact that many have been discussing how Arteta dictated our play today, and as I agreed with that, that analogy is completely contradictory.

Oh I agree, I'm just saying from his point of view that makes sense. But then we just get into a deeper issue of whether players' games are objectively good or matter of opinion, etc., which is just a can of worms really.

Regardless, 2-1 win when the majority of this board were sure it would be a loss in the 70th minute. Feels good and let's carry this through to Milan.

David Smith

Established Member
Odd that Arteta is criticised because I thought he was fantastic, again, as per usual. Defensively and offensively, Arteta gives everything we can ask of him, and more.

ebouenolike

Established Member
Nearly put money on an Arsenal loss just to sweeten the day if we lost. Absolutely loved the ending. Was in an Arsenal friendly pub and some Sp**s fans were pretty cocky at 1-0, hilarious when Thierry's goal went in.

More of that please Arsenal - great away win vs the in form team.

dpt49

Established Member
ebouenolike said:
Nearly put money on an Arsenal loss just to sweeten the day if we lost. Absolutely loved the ending. Was in an Arsenal friendly pub and some Sp**s fans were pretty cocky at 1-0, hilarious when Thierry's goal went in.

More of that please Arsenal - great away win vs the in form team.
I hope you have left the pub.

If they were cocky when we were 1-0 down they must be unbearable now.
I can feel another spuds DVD coming out.

mo50

Established Member
So much was made of O'neill and his managerial prowess. The guy just played 2 banks of 4 and Sunderland got lucky with their goal.

I'm ecstatic, and for Henry to score the winner in his last PL game in the 92nd minute is the stuff of dreams.

Airknight

Established Member
Lost this one because i was studying, just watched Henry's goal though, fantastic stuff :bounce

at least i saw part of the 7-1, heh.

Anzac

Established Member
Great result - don't recall the last time we came away from there with 3 points in recent times.

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member
Credit to the whole team today, they played brilliantly. Sunderland were top of the table in terms of form since O'Neil took over and not even Man City could get a point from them.

Even though we could, and probably should have been a bit more direct, we played Sunderland off the park for the majority of the game, having 70% possession, which is a lot even by our standards.

Sunderland didn't even try to make a game of it, they just sat back and played for a point which I absolutely can't stand and I'm delighted that we punished them for it. I've got no time for that sort of negative football so they deserved to lose, in my eyes.

Fantastic result though, really happy. Hopefully we can do it again in a weeks time.

Ron Burgundy

Established Member
Thierry Henry is the greatest human being ever. Massive result today, especially with Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle all losing.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot
Good win for us..

Injury time winner by Titi makes me remember his past period with us. Never say die attitude and absolute legend!

eye4goal

Established Member
DiamondGooner said:
I have to agree with Brady that Arteta needed to offer a bit more creativity up the field but the crux of our issue was that our front 3 were to advanced and too static.

They couldn't link up or build play because Sunderland parked the bus, our midfield was struggling to find our forwards because they would not come deep then over lap.

It was a cagey game but we got away with it.

Yeah I also thought the front-three were flat. I am not too sure the current system works that well away from home. Sunderland tired towards the end and it helped. We'll need to play alot better in the coming games.

Mr Wolf

The team showed a great spirit and deserved the win, but AW was a bit lucky today, imho. Infact, the game changed when AW was obliged to remove Song from the midfield (where he was mistaking the 90% of the passes) and AA23 succeeded to capitalise at 100% the 5 minutes that he was granted to play instead of an unwatchable Theo (that played 85 useless minutes).

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Mr Wolf said:
The team showed a great spirit and deserved the win, but AW was a bit lucky today, imho. Infact, the game changed when AW was obliged to remove Song from the midfield (where he was mistaking the 90% of the passes) and AA23 succeeded to capitalise at 100% the 5 minutes that he was granted to play instead of an unwatchable Theo (that played 85 useless minutes).

Yeah, the Arshavin/Theo substitution should've been completed earlier but then the lateness of the goal meant we didn't have to absorb any pressure afterwards which is good considering we had a make-shift back-line.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom