• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Europa League Round of 32: Benfica v Arsenal

How will Arsenal fare in the Europa League knockout phase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Wow, weird stuff. So currently it looks like the home team will have to play in a foreign country. I have never seen such a thing happen. :lol:

"According to the Evening Standard, the away leg of Arsenal’s Europa League tie with Benfica is set to take place at a neutral venue because of stricter Covid-19-related travel restrictions.

The Gunners are due to face the Portuguese giants at the Stadium of Light in Lisbon on Thursday 18 February, however, the UK has now placed Portugal on its ‘red list’ meaning anybody returning from the country will immediately be forced to quarantine for 10 days. The new measures are so strict that the usual exemptions for top-level sport will not apply.

Were Mikel Arteta’s players to go into quarantine, they’d be ruled out of action for the second-leg at the Emirates on Thursday 25 February as well as Premier League games with Manchester City and Leicester.

A new UEFA rules stipulate that the onus is on Benfica to find a neutral venue or they will take matters into their own hands.

“If restrictions imposed by the national/local authorities of the visiting club’s country apply to the visiting club’s travel to play the match or its return home after the match, the home club must propose a suitable alternative venue which may be in a neutral country (within the territory of a UEFA member association) that would allow the match to take place and would not cause the visiting club any restrictions in either travel direction.

“If the home club fails to propose such suitable alternative venue, the UEFA administration will take a final decision on the match venue and /or match date.

“The home club will remain responsible for the organisation of the match and both clubs will share the related costs in equal measure.”

There are currently 30 countries on the “red list” including all those in South America, as well as large parts of Southern Africa and Portugal."

https://arseblog.news/2021/01/report-arsenal-set-to-play-benfica-on-neutral-ground/

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

We were never winning this sh*t anyways, ces't la vie.

Iceman10

Established Member

I’ve read that if the two clubs don’t come to a mutual agreement UEFA will step in and override Benfica on selection of a venue. New UEFA rules mean it is on the home team to sort a new venue. This is a relief because it appears we sit well with this now, Benfica really don’t have much leverage anymore.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Surely there must be a decent pitch in Gibraltar somewhere? Size of the venue doesn't matter? Or must it live up to the UEFA stadium categories? I mean there will be no fans.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
This has really made me dislike Benfica, ngl...they are begging to just get a free pass for this game, the little ****s.

If this goes ahead, it up there with Arsenal v Sp**s rivalry now...need to beat them, quite heavily ideally!

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I hope the entire competition is like this, a one of tie.

It would severely increase our chances I feel.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

We can easily beat Benfica. Watched them vs Sporting yesterday. They're nothing to be feared at all.
For sure, I don't fear them but I think it will be a hard comp in general.

If the format did get changed to one off ties though, even I would have to back Uncle Mik to do well in that.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
For sure, I don't fear them but I think it will be a hard comp in general.

If the format did get changed to one off ties though, even I would have to back Uncle Mik to do well in that.
I think our defending right now gives a chance regardless.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom