Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by SA Gunner, May 26, 2018.

?

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

Poll closed Dec 27, 2018.
  1. With quality additions (and proper planning) lets go for the title.

10.7%
  2. No excuses, top 4 is the minimum requirement. Throw in a cup as well.

30.5%
  3. I'm prepared to write off this season, provided we see some improvements. Lets prepare for 2019/20.

14.2%
  4. We are too far behind the rest of the top six now, expect mediocrity, we need time to rebuild.

2.0%
  5. Lets see how it plays out, I'll reserve my judgement for after 10 games.

9.1%
  6. Winning the Arsenal way, above all else.

3.6%
  7. I just want to see an improvement on recent seasons.

29.9%
  1. SA Gunner

SA Gunner Prediction Pool King Trusted

I was interested to gauge the forums thoughts around what people are expecting from Emery this season.

Is it a question of giving him enough time to settle in his methods, especially in an environment where we arent likely to spend big?

Or is it as Wenger said, that this team is one or two additions away from challenging for the league.

What are your expectations for 2018/19, in terms of achievements, competition, player recruitment, playing style, defense/attack focus, etc?

Mods, if you feel this can be incorporated into the Welcome Emery thread, or others, please feel free.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Carlo Marx and krengon like this.
  2. Aevi

Aevi Hands down best mod -Trilly (probably) Moderator

A return to the Champions League, whether that's by finishing in the top 4 or winning the EL. Preferably both.

3. Furious

Furious Emery Hired, Telly Off

Good thread, no, don't merge it. Every half decent discussion gets lost in those mega threads.

I always expect to challenge for the title personally, and with the right transfers I think it's possible, although ****ty with Pep last season might have raised the bar a bit too high.

Bare minimum for me is good football, progression with players/youngsters, and CL through EL/top 4.

4. Sammy1887

Sammy1887 Still Hating Reed in 2019

Top 4 finish, a good domestic cup run or winning the EL.

Away wins of any sort would be good too (specially away at TOP 6 clubs)

Notorious Big and GeorgiaGunner like this.
  5. CanadianGooner1608

CanadianGooner1608 Well-Known Member

My expectations, regardless of PL rankings are as follow:

- Keep playing attacking, pressing football, the kind that made me fall in love with Arsenal.
    - Make it so we concede significally less than 51 goal during the season
    - Make us look like an organized unit with a plan (whether we win or lose)
    - Develop some of our young ones. I'm particularly excited by what could be done with AMN, Nelson, Mavropanos, and maybe Nketiah in a first team setting.
    - Get us back into Champion's League (by way of Europa or PL, I don't care), but I'd be willing to give him a year to get settled before getting impatient.
    - Make us competitive in domestic cups, and look dangerous in PL. I want Utd, Sp**s, Chelsea, Pool, and City at least worried to play us.

Don't know if it's unrealistic, but that's what I'm hoping for.

6. GeorgiaGunner

GeorgiaGunner Closet United Fan

‘Expectation’: A top 4 finish or a EL win, with at least one other deep cup run, made possible by the resolution of some of our defensive fragility.

Reality: 6th again (flirting with 4/5 and a CL spot), but ~7 more points in league play and a more solid playstyle overall.

7. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

In the PL I'm expecting top 4. if we get 75+ points but fail to get top4, I wouldn't say it's a good season, but acceptable as we would have shown that we are heading in the right direction.. Winning the EL would make up for a poor Pl season.

In general I'm expecting good football, clear plan and structure in the way we want to play, continued improvement in player development and I'm hoping we'll do a better job in the transfer market getting the right quality players..

8. Rex Banner

Rex Banner Welsh Dialsquare Trusted

CL, PL and FA Cup treble.

9. Notorious Big

Notorious Big Stuck in the friend zone

Back to Top 4 should be main aim.With few good signings and with some improve players we can maybe achieve that.Ofc,our away form should be way better and we must hope that some of big sides have average season.Tip for Sp**s and Chelsea.

10. GDeep™

GDeep™ Protector of RonaldoMadness

Expect a team that competes in every game, a team with a plan, structure etc. Players who now have clear roles and directions to execute.

I’ll accept in his first season for us to ‘push’ for top 4. Giving Emery some space because I think we’re behind our rivals, and they have equally as good managers plus more spending power, so it’s hard to see big jumps imo.

11. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

Win the EL and finish in the top 4. Play Wengerball in attack and Grahamball in defence-all at once. Be a lot,lot luckier than Wenger.

Mo Britain and Sapient Hawk like this.
  12. GDeep™

GDeep™ Protector of RonaldoMadness

Interesting because in recent years I really began to feel the luck left Wenger, not that I thought he ever had much luck.

13. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

I'd like us to get top 4, if our away form hadn't been so awful we may have got top 4 this season, so next with a few additions and an organised defence is achievable. A good cup run would be nice, especially EL. If we dont get any of the above due to top 4 clubs being brilliant & spending crazy money then I'd settle for us moving in the right direction, meaning a lot less goals conceded and beating teams that should not be beating us. There was too much of that this season.

Artisan likes this.
  14. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

I would never call us lucky during Wenger's tenure. He/we earned every single trophy even during the the early years.

Trilly, Sapient Hawk and GDeep™ like this.
  15. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Policing Emery's English Skills

Spot on as usual. Even in the CL and Europa he always drew the best side. Man U got Celta Vigo and we drew Atletico. :lol:

Trilly, LGooner98, Wilshero and 2 others like this.
  16. Makingtrax

It all depends on what money Emery gets.

If he only gets £50-70m, maybe 5th. If he gets an early Xmas present from Kroenke to kick start the season then he may get into the top 4, but very unlikely.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  17. Mitch

Mitch Bellerin Upgrade Advocate

Top 4 and a trophy.

celestis likes this.
  18. Makingtrax

Just read through other posts in this thread and believe people to be unrealistic calling for trophies and top 4 from the off.

Arsène got top 4 from season 1 but the competion wasn’t as stiff, and Kroenke hadn’t put a block on spending in those days.

Give the bloke a chance ffs. 5th would be a good start. Mourinho got 6th in his first season with double Emery’s spend.

berric, Sapient Hawk and FEH like this.
  19. GeorgiaGunner

I’m not saying fire him if we finish 6th again (which I think is still the best bet barring proper investment over the summer), but it’d definitely be below expectations.

Makingtrax likes this.
  20. GeorgiaGunner

Sapient Hawk likes this.