Filipe Luis

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by say yes, Sep 5, 2018.

1. say yes

say yes To VAR

https://arseblog.news/2018/09/report-gunners-tipped-to-swoop-for-atletico-left-back/

2. Dutch D

Dutch D Well-Known Member

Do not want. Just extend Monreal's contract 1-year, ship Kolasinac and get in a good young LB that can stay here for many years.

3. Jack_The_Lad

Jack_The_Lad Member

Good left back, would rather get Hernandez though...

4. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado

Should have signed him this summer. Running out of time.

5. jpphlst

jpphlst Member

Shipping Kolasinac? How come?

6. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast CIES Loyalist

I'd take, say, 2 1/2 years of him. Far superior defender than Arsenal's current crop of left backs. Develop a younger player behind him.

7. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

I like him, but we need to get younger..

8. Rex Banner

Rex Banner Welsh Dialsquare Trusted

We’re not gonna get 2 1/2 years out of him at all, I believe he’s declined a lot the last couple of years which isn’t a popular opinion amongst Atlético fans.

Playing in an all action league with our attacking open play I’d barely see him lasting a year.

Ricardinho and dashsnow17 like this.
  9. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Seems pointless. We need a younger LB, unless the club are planning to groom Bukayo Saka or Tolaji Bola as the young LB-in-training. Even still, not sure Luis is the best option here.

10. Slartibartfast

Of course players will tend to decline as they get further into their 30s, but sometimes fans base their assertions of decline more on age than on actual observation or analysis. If Arsenal signed him for 2 1/2 years, he would be 35 at the end of his contract (Lichtsteiner will be 35 in January). He's still the starting left back at Atletico Madrid. You have to be a damn good defender to be that. If you take a look at his CIES/OptaStats analysis of his most recent 1,000 minutes in La Liga, you'll see that his defensive metrics (rigor/recovery) are pretty much off the charts compared to Monreal and Kolasinac.

[​IMG]

So if Arsenal could manage to acquire him in January, it would be a significant boost to the defense in the 2nd half as the club tries to secure a spot in the top 4. No reason he can't be quite good next year as well. Even if his role in the final years is more like what Lichtensteiner is right now, it would seem to be well worth it. In the meantime, bring in a younger player next summer to develop alongside him.

Of course if you could get him on a 1 1/2 year contract, fine. But I think he would be more likely to be willing to make the move with a longer deal.

say yes, krackpot and Arsenio Venger like this.
  11. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

I would prefer Junior Firpo from real betis

12. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Come on Yousif, when bump a transfer thread like this we expect a tweet :mad:

El Granit-Coq and krackpot like this.
  13. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Haha its no transfer window season so they'll probably ignore it :lol:

American_Gooner likes this.
  14. Rex Banner

Rex Banner Welsh Dialsquare Trusted

I mean there’s not much I can say to this without sounding like a d*ck but do I watch him every week and he’s not what he was. I think we look that much better with Lucas Hernandez in the left back role. He doesn’t have to venture forward much in Simeone’s system and he’s almost never exposed in 1 v 1’s against pacey wingers.

It’s almost the complete opposite to how we play. Also there’s big question marks seen as he struggle to adapt at all to play in a Mourinho team over here.

celestis likes this.
  15. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Easily Triggered

Sven the transfer god, the builder of great title winning teams with zero money will make the correct decision!

Tir Na Nog likes this.
  16. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

Pretty pointless to compare stats when Atletico has one of the best defenses in the world and we have one of the worst.
    Put him in our back four and they'll decline because we're a bunch of clowns who can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives.

17. Slartibartfast

Their methodology adjusts for this:

In order to gain even more relevance, the technical gestures carried out were analysed in the wider context of the rapport of collective strength between teams. It was also necessary to go beyond the technical aspects so as to highlight the players whose presence on the pitch allows the team to surpass itself.

Maybe the reason Arsenal is "a bunch of clowns who can't keep a clean sheet to save (their) lives" is because most of Arsenal's defenders aren't as good as Filipe Luis.

18. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

It's a mixture of poor tactics and mediocre defenders. It's gonna take a while before our back four will look any good, because we're playing a high line and it takes 3-4 of our players to dispossess an opponent who's got tricky feet.