• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gaël Clichy (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccy_man

Established Member
according to the evening standard Real are targeting Gael Clichy because they wont a better defence,

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23706962-details/Real+Madrid+vow+to+spend+more+as+Gael+Clichy+is+targeted/article.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard- ... article.do</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i dont know how to shorten the link sorry.

JazzG

Established Member
Re: Real target Clichy

I wouldn't want to sell him at all unless we get some stupid offer in of over £20mill. While Gibbs has impressed he doesn't look very solid defensively and considering our pathetic defence in recent years that should be high on our priorities.

nazo

Established Member

I'm one of Clichy's biggest fans but if they're willing to offer 40 or 50 million, they can have him.

Anything less and they can screw off.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu

We won't even be able to reject it if they just offer 30m

True Gooner

Established Member

nazo said:
I'm one of Clichy's biggest fans but if they're willing to offer 40 or 50 million, they can have him.

Anything less and they can screw off.

^ Yep

Selling Clichy at this point in time would be a mistake.

Viking

Even if we accepted a £30 million bid, it would still be up to Clichy. But maybe I'm being naive in believing he'd rather stay here.

ibby

Established Member

Guys/Gals need to be realistic, no-one is going to offer above 20mil for Clichy.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

I don't care how much they offer. I don't want us to sell him to those horrible ****s. I absolutely hate the idea that Perez should get everything he points at. He's like a spoiled kid in a candystore.

If we need money that badly there are a whole lot of players I'd try to sell before even contemplating letting Clichy go.

Raider

Established Member

I can actually imagine rejecting the chance to join them. Out of most he seems humble and honest.

Like I said in Football talk, £25m upwards, and I'd sell.

True Gooner

Established Member

Well then I don't want to sell him. Realistic or not, the last thing we need is to re do one of the strong points in our squad.

ibby

Established Member

True Gooner said:
Well then I don't want to sell him. Realistic or not, the last thing we need is to re do one of the strong points in our squad.
Gibbs is more than adequate cover.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

Gibbs is not a more than adequate starter in the longterm though. He may be in three or four years but chances are equally big that Clichy will be even better at that point than he is right now.

True Gooner

Established Member

ibby said:
True Gooner said:

Cover - yes. Replacement - No.

And then there's the issue of finding a new LB, just because we're good at finding full backs doesn't guarantee that we'll be able to replace him - certainly not in the short term.
And in the long run, Gibbs should be ready to step up, so it would be pointless signing someone who would 'kill' Gibbs.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

15, 20, 25 million it doesn't matter. Sell Clichy and then whom do we bring or play? Makes no sense.

It'd be different if Clichy's been playing 'want away', but he hasn't. Get the "$$$" out of your eyes.

ibby

Established Member

True Gooner said:
ibby said:
True Gooner said:

Cover - yes. Replacement - No.

And then there's the issue of finding a new LB, just because we're good at finding full backs doesn't guarantee that we'll be able to replace him - certainly not in the short term.
And in the long run, Gibbs should be ready to step up, so it would be pointless signing someone who would 'kill' Gibbs.
He's an adequate replacement too.

15 million for a full back is a great return for one who has had an average year and is liable to costly mistakes. Gibbs is 20 in September, Clichy made the left back spot his when he was 20. Like I said, if Real offer 15 million that is a fantastic price.

baccy_man

Established Member

i would much rather keep Clichy than let him go he has been a good player for us since he took over from cashley,
he has made a few errors but he is still a young man and he can only get better and any player can have a bad day,
as good as Gibbs has been as cover for Gael i cant see Gibbs lasting a whole season playing nearly every match he has got more growing up to do,
i'm sure that Arsène will have a chat with Gael and not let his head get turned by Real Madrid he managed to do it with Vieira and Real were after him for 3 or 4 seasons.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

ibby said:
15 million for a full back is a great return for one who has had an average year and is liable to costly mistakes. Gibbs is 20 in September, Clichy made the left back spot his when he was 20. Like I said, if Real offer 15 million that is a fantastic price.
Selling our more experienced players and handing over their roles to the 'next big thing' is precisely the problem we've had recently.

Clichy's form was below par this season, along with many other players, but to dismiss him on that basis is short-sighted and, at 15 million, bad business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom