• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gaël Clichy (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Re: Real target Clichy

Precisely what I was thinking. Clichy is on a level where a replacement would be pretty expensive too. Because we would need to replace him with someone at a similar level (and preferrably age, which makes it even harder). Otherwise it would be a pointless exercise in weakening the team for a few dollars more. And fullbacks haven't exactly been cheap lately. Bosingwa costed Chelsea €20 million for example. Alves went for over €40M in total with the add-ons. Even a second-rated player like Abidal costed Barca some €15 million. You can't always count on there being a Sagna lying around, just waiting for the right moment to make the final step.

ricky1985

Established Member

First I've heard about this. Unless they offer crazy money (which they wont) then I'd say no. Gibbs is at least a season or two of learning and improving from offering a credible challenge.

Clichy is the best left back in the world when he is playing to his capability, it would be madness to let him go, unless they offered £30m or something stupid like that.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

im not saying i want him gone Klaus but people do overhype Clichy. He's a very very good player but his greatest attributes are weakened by his terrible crossing. Hes the very definition of an attacking full back - but with, at least for now, very little end product. Again I am not saying I want him gone, I like the guys behavious, attitude and play - but he's not technically irreplacable. I wouldnt sell him personally tho

ultradoc

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
15, 20, 25 million it doesn't matter. Sell Clichy and then whom do we bring or play? Makes no sense.

Some left sided eboue from somewhere unkknown for 0.5 million. Makes perfect sense in wengerworld no? :D

famous no 10

Established Member

It's all getting a bit stupid...every player has his price and if we're offered 25m+ we'll take it.

Wouldn't like to see him go, and of course we can't replace him like for like, but we'll strengthen another area.

I like Clichy, but to be honest, I'm past caring too much about footballers, the club comes first and if that's the right deal for us then **** it...I had my heart broken years ago with Brady etc, and recently with that **** cashley...we'll get over it, if it happens.

outlaw_member

Established Member

ricky1985 said:
First I've heard about this. Unless they offer crazy money (which they wont) then I'd say no. Gibbs is at least a season or two of learning and improving from offering a credible challenge.

Clichy is the best left back in the world when he is playing to his capability, it would be madness to let him go, unless they offered £30m or something stupid like that.

If you think that Clichy is the best left back in the World when he is playing to his full capability, why would you accept even a crazy bid for him? Having money in the bank won't help us defend better, and riding on the possibility of several successful replacements being bought is a very risky tactic. Are we really in a position to be taking risks?

Goonereagle

I don't think Real will have anhother 80mill on 'em to get Gael...;)

We'd be silly to. They need centre backs anyway; actual defensive defenders, otherwise they'd get taught a lesson in Europe against a team who can attack and defend.

ricky1985

Established Member

outlaw_member said:
ricky1985 said:

If you think that Clichy is the best left back in the World when he is playing to his full capability, why would you accept even a crazy bid for him? Having money in the bank won't help us defend better, and riding on the possibility of several successful replacements being bought is a very risky tactic. Are we really in a position to be taking risks?

If someone is willing to pay way, way more than a plyer is currently worth (although that is a very difficult thing to determine) then it has to be considered. £30m is a hell of a lot of money, in the same way Man United couldn't say no, neither could Milan.

I wouldn't want to see Clichy go, but I know if we got stupid money for him, Wenger would find a way to make it work. He usually does.

MDGoonah41

Established Member

ibby said:
Clrnc said:
IF, lets say IF, Real offers 35m will you guys sell him?

We can get another establish good leftback with Gibbs as cover and still get a top class DM
I'm struggling to find out what's so hard about getting Clichy's valuation right.

Do you really think Real are going to pay the same price for Clichy as they are going to pay for David Villa? Clichy is a full back, hardly a season shaping position, unless you're Roberto Carlos. Clichy has also come of a very average season and is prone to costly mistakes. 15mil and fans should snap their hands off.

AnthonyG said:
Selling our more experienced players and handing over their roles to the 'next big thing' is precisely the problem we've had recently.

Good point but given the position, I would still sell.

Real pays over the odds for everyone. You may think Clichy's max price is 15M. But if they come to Wenger and he says "28M", and Real pay it, then they pay it. I don't think there is an accounting argument that indicates any player is worth a 50+M transfer fee. But Real and Barca operate outside of conventional finance.

To be honest, I'm a huge Gibbs fan, and while I think we should be retaining our core players, I'd take 25M for him if Wenger promised to use the 25M on players to add to the squad.

Pies

I would be gutted if we lost him, class player and class man. I love the lad

entropy13

Established Member

I wouldn't take 25m for Clichy because:

1. The only thing certain is that Clichy was sold for a certain price
2. We don't know if someone will step up or someone will be bought to replace him
3. We don't know if the replacement will actually "tick" in our defense
4. Our new player most probably only have known his teammates for less than a day
5. Real pays in installments

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

I agree with all of that Entropy and there are countless more arguments too. The investment, monetary and otherwise, which we've already put into Clichy should not be overlooked.

This is a player who is both familiar with our set-up and by all rights should be hitting some kind of prime. Not to mention that I've always been impressed by his comments and his willing commitment to the club.

Even a fanciful 25 million is not enough for me to consider for a moment selling him.

nazo

Established Member

Btw, Gibbs is good cover but no where near ready to be playing week in week out for us. Traore isn't either.

Silvestre at LB, **** no. Gallas, no.

The only other option would be to sign someone and that would cost at least 5-10mil for someone good. So even if they offer 20mil, that's a bad deal imo.

Like i said, if they want to offer something we can't afford to refuse, we should take it. If not, i'll gladly keep Clichy.

Viking

ibby said:
True Gooner said:
ibby said:
Gibbs is more than adequate cover.

Cover - yes. Replacement - No.

And then there's the issue of finding a new LB, just because we're good at finding full backs doesn't guarantee that we'll be able to replace him - certainly not in the short term.
And in the long run, Gibbs should be ready to step up, so it would be pointless signing someone who would 'kill' Gibbs.
He's an adequate replacement too.

15 million for a full back is a great return for one who has had an average year and is liable to costly mistakes. Gibbs is 20 in September, Clichy made the left back spot his when he was 20. Like I said, if Real offer 15 million that is a fantastic price.

It might be a good price, but if we think about it, what is our goal as a club? To get good prices for our players, or to win something? We won't do the latter if we sell key members of the squad and replace them each summer.

Proof

Established Member

I posted this rumour in Football Talk, because I don't it's worth a new thread. IMO Clichy is the last player that would leaave Arsenal and I wouldn't let one of the best defenders leave, there aren't so many good players in that LB position right now. And we have one of the best, I wouldn't let him go even if Real would make an offer which would make Clichy the most expensive defender in history.

Wenger14

Established Member

We should sell,

if Real pay off our stadium debt and the transfer fee for Wenger's first choice replacement for Clichy. They can add in Diarra just to sweeten the deal.

Anything else and they can **** right off.

Viking

Klaus Daimler said:
GaelForce22 said:
Can't see it happening. Neither us selling nor Madrid offering the silly money being mentioned in this thread.

P.s. Have you lost a bet Klaus?
Ask Viking. >_<
You were the one that gave me the opportunity, you cnut! We didn't even have a bet in place before the 1-0 trashing of Sweden.

And I completely agree with wenger14.

Kraig

Established Member

clichy is a great player, but defensively he is replaceable. would require amore than substantial fee to get him from us (near 30-35 mill) due to his age and previous performances.

by no means would i want to see the back of him, but if its silly money then we can improve other areas of the squad whilst getting in someone who would be defensively better at LB than clichy.

Gurgen

Established Member

Clichy has never really developed the way I thought he would. Still making 3-4 huge **** ups a season, still can't cross a ball. For 20m I would definitely sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom