• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gai Assulin

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Re: Gai Assulin - Free Transfer

A quick question, truth: how many players in the current starting eleven were starters three years ago? Now: think of the current squad. How many of those players were around four years ago?

Now consider our developing players and tell me what the odds are for most of them making it here. It's insane to even try to calculate it. We'll be extremely fortunate to get just a couple coming through every half decade.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Klaus Daimler said:
A quick question, truth: how many players in the current starting eleven were starters three years ago? Now: think of the current squad. How many of those players were around four years ago?

Now consider our developing players and tell me what the odds are for most of them making it here. It's insane to even try to calculate it. We'll be extremely fortunate to get just a couple coming through every half decade.

Couldn't give you a number to any of the questions off the top of my head but would guess only Almunia, Clicy, Cesc and RVP were starters and Traore, Song, Diaby, Denilson, Theo and Nik played predominately in the CC.

I agree that only a few youngsters can make the grade (how much clearer can I make that?) my issue is the amount of time we invest in so many of these players. The likes of Hoyte, Senderos, Merida and Lupoli were a waste of time but the likes of Pennant, Bentley and Simpson rarely featured so i'm not upset.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

truth_hurts said:
would you buy a vauxall astra if you already had a Yaris, Civic, Seat leon, Golf and 306 in the garage? no because it would be taking up unessecary space.
Steady there son. Don't disrespect the only British car in that list. Astra's are a bloody good car.

truth_hurts

Loyan said:
truth_hurts said:
would you buy a vauxall astra if you already had a Yaris, Civic, Seat leon, Golf and 306 in the garage? no because it would be taking up unessecary space.
Steady there son. Don't disrespect the only British car in that list. Astra's are a bloody good car.

Haha! fair enough.

P_Gunner

truth right now it seems to me that you've passed the level of clutching at straws and your just fighting a lost cause. I still have yet to see a disadvantage of getting him. He'll hardly affect our wage structure and if he flops we can just sell him in 3-4 years time for a profit.

We'll have Vela, Wilshere, Wellington, Assulin, Walcott and Bendtner fighting for 3 spots. Its survival of the fittest, if you aren't good enough then you don't stay. Its really that simple. Many complain that Walcott has sucked this year and Nasri has been average at RWF. Maybe Assulin could be a bit of an improvement, considering dribbling is one of his strong points? If he flops, then sell him and move on.

Assulin will obviously not be a starter for us, but he will be looking to make a few appearances here and there, which I don't see a problem with. He can also play in the easier FA Cup and Carling Cup games.

Zico

Established Member

How many of you have seen this Gai guy play? Is he worth any of our attention? If he was good, Barca would keep him, right? They only get rid of swill like Dos Santos.

truth_hurts

P_Gunner said:
truth right now it seems to me that you've passed the level of clutching at straws and your just fighting a lost cause. I still have yet to see a disadvantage of getting him. He'll hardly affect our wage structure and if he flops we can just sell him in 3-4 years time for a profit.

We'll have Vela, Wilshere, Wellington, Assulin, Walcott and Bendtner fighting for 3 spots. Its survival of the fittest, if you aren't good enough then you don't stay. Its really that simple. Many complain that Walcott has sucked this year and Nasri has been average at RWF. Maybe Assulin could be a bit of an improvement, considering dribbling is one of his strong points? If he flops, then sell him and move on.

Assulin will obviously not be a starter for us, but he will be looking to make a few appearances here and there, which I don't see a problem with. He can also play in the easier FA Cup and Carling Cup games.

Don't think you've been reading my posts mate as I don't see where i'm clutching. The only positives that are being put forward are 1. That he comes from Barca and 2. If he fails he came on a free so can sell him for a profit!

Also where are these 3 spots? considering RVP is 26 and reaching his prime, Nasri has been identified as a wide player by Wenger and Arshavin and Chamack aren't exactly old.

I didn't say he would be a bad signing just a pointless one. Its amazing how many of us Arsenal fans have become Wengerites! To make a financial gain is important but i'm shocked that after 5 trophyless years people are happy with throwing in 19 year old untried players in cup games, never mind if we get knocked out of the cups though as long as we make a few million off the youngsters who don't make the grade!

truth_hurts

Okay as my last post in here for a while let me say if we do get Assulin and loan him out for a year to a premiership/championship team i'd be for it. Otherwise waste of time.

Zico

Established Member

Loyan said:
Or Fabregas.

didn't we exploit a loophole when signing Fabregas, getting him before he could sign a professional contract in Spain? Gai Assulin is a grown man

Gooner_Stu

Established Member

Zico said:
How many of you have seen this Gai guy play? Is he worth any of our attention? If he was good, Barca would keep him, right? They only get rid of swill like Dos Santos.

Someone mentioned that Barca want to keep him, but he wont sign a new contract as he wants to play 1st team games which he isnt getting at Barca.

Ive no worries if he's free. If his wages arent high and he wants to perform then give him a shot. If hes a dud then hes a dud and we wont have spent too much to find that out.

11vanpersie

Barca rates him really highly if he had stayed there he might have broken through next season like Pedro did this season.

truth_hurts

Klaus Daimler said:
[quote"truth_hurts"]I didn't say he would be a bad signing just a pointless one.
It's the same thing. And it was a stupid thing to say.[/quote]

Drew me back in with that post. Not bad and pointless are not the same thing. Signing Zlatan (for example) wouldn't be a bad signing as he's a quality footballer but he would be pointless as he would cost a lot and we have RVP.

Assulin may well be one of the worlds most talented u21 forwards so not a bad signing but so are Theo, Vela, Wellington (possibly) and Wilshere so ARGUABLY a pointless one.

Anyway how the **** do you prove an oppinion? i'm wasting my time. So once again my thoughts have been made clear. You lot can continue...

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

It really isn't complicated. A signing can't be pointless if it may turn out good. A pointless signing doesn't have any point, isn't of any use. I'd be delighted if we signed Ibrahimovic, even if only one of him and Robin would play at the same time. It's highly unrealistic but it would be so far from pointless at having him at the club that it's ridiculous.

For the same reason Assulin - or any other talented youngster - wouldn't be a pointless signing. But you just don't get that argument, do you?

truth_hurts

Klaus Daimler said:
It really isn't complicated. A signing can't be pointless if it may turn out good. A pointless signing doesn't have any point, isn't of any use. I'd be delighted if we signed Ibrahimovic, even if only one of him and Robin would play at the same time. It's highly unrealistic but it would be so far from pointless at having him at the club that it's ridiculous.

For the same reason Assulin - or any other talented youngster - wouldn't be a pointless signing. But you just don't get that argument, do you?

Pedantic. Okay to clean it up There would be very little point (IN MY OPPINION) in signing Assulin or any other untried young forward over the age of 18 looking for first team action. We have the position covered with enough talented young options (oppinion) same as with left back.

truth_hurts

Klaus Daimler said:

Pedantic. To make it crystal clear there would be very little point in signing another young, untested forward as we have plenty of good options (oppinion) same as left back. Not a potential signing which is of mch point (oppinion).

Captain

Established Member

Just leave it mate, everyone knows what your point is whether they agree with it or not.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

how do you know Assulin isnt better than the "talented young options" we currently have?

mo50

Established Member

What if Assulin turns out to be better than what we have now?

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom