• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gelson Martins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Why are people worried about Nelson? If he shows he’s worth a start he’ll get game time. Up until now he’s been disappointing. Not even at Carlos Vela levels.
People are still suffering from the idea of "killing" players that Wenger used to use as his excuse for not making signings. Nevermind that none of these players that didn't make it here ever went on to achieve anything of note. I'm much more attached to trophies and good football than creating an easy path for players who aren't good enough to withstand a bit of competition.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
People are still suffering from the idea of "killing" players that Wenger used to use as his excuse for not making signings. Nevermind that none of these players that didn't make it here ever went on to achieve anything of note. I'm much more attached to trophies and good football than creating an easy path for players who aren't good enough to withstand a bit of competition.

Agree with you although don’t forget Gnabry he looks destined to become world class.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Agree with you although don’t forget Gnabry he looks destined to become world class.
Fair point, I had forgotten Gnabry. He may be the one exception but I would need to see it over a period of years and eventually at a higher level than the Bundesliga to really feel like he was a big loss.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
My heart. It hurts.
Oh Gnabry why did you go,
You left me alone in the dirt,
To play for our Bayern foe.

I think about you often,
I wish you would come back,
My heart you could yet soften,
If you'd rejoin our attack.

xoxo <3

Major in literature perhaps?

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Sky Sports on the Sporting crisis and what it could mean for PL clubs. A few highlights:

The disarray stems from an incident in the middle of May, when a group of around 50 masked supporters broke into the Sporting headquarters and physically assaulted players and staff as they were preparing for a training session ahead of the Portuguese Cup final against Aves.

Sporting went on to lose that game 2-1, capping a disappointing season in which they missed out on Champions League qualification, but it was hardly surprising that the players were not at their best. Dutch striker Bas Dost, who sustained a head injury during the attack, revealed this week that he had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

"Some Sporting players thought they were seeing the end of their life," Jaime Marta Soares, the president of Sporting's general assembly, said in an interview with Expresso. Soares went on to describe the incident as "inhumane" and "an act of terrorism".

Premier League clubs are monitoring them closely, with Sky sources saying Arsenal are one of a number of sides interested in signing Gelson Martins. The 23-year-old winger, who has previously been linked with Liverpool, is sure to be an attractive free agent having scored eight goals and provided eight assists in 31 Primeira Liga appearances last season.

Midfielder William Carvalho has been linked with Arsenal in the past and last summer he was close to joining West Ham, who eventually withdrew their interest over fitness concerns and Sporting's refusal to lower their £40m asking price. Now, however, Sky sources say he is a target for Everton, whose new manager Marco Silva has worked with him before.

Bruno Fernandes is attracting interest, too. The playmaker has been linked with Premier League sides in previous years but it now seems his most likely destination is Italy, where Roma are said to be leading AC Milan in the race for his signature. "I think in three or four days we will know more," his agent, Miguel Pinho, told LaRoma24.

Rui Patricio, meanwhile, has been tipped to join the growing Portuguese contingent at Wolves. The newly-promoted side have already sealed a loan deal for Mexican striker Raul Jimenez from Benfica, and reports suggest the 30-year-old will become their latest signing from the Portuguese league.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...gue-clubs?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Why are people worried about Nelson? If he shows he’s worth a start he’ll get game time. Up until now he’s been disappointing. Not even at Carlos Vela levels.
Fact is, even if Martins signs, there are no other wide forwards in the team. Nelson is in a good position right now, he just has to build on it accordingly - which he has the talent to do.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Sky Sports on the Sporting crisis and what it could mean for PL clubs. A few highlights:

The disarray stems from an incident in the middle of May, when a group of around 50 masked supporters broke into the Sporting headquarters and physically assaulted players and staff as they were preparing for a training session ahead of the Portuguese Cup final against Aves.

Sporting went on to lose that game 2-1, capping a disappointing season in which they missed out on Champions League qualification, but it was hardly surprising that the players were not at their best. Dutch striker Bas Dost, who sustained a head injury during the attack, revealed this week that he had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

"Some Sporting players thought they were seeing the end of their life," Jaime Marta Soares, the president of Sporting's general assembly, said in an interview with Expresso. Soares went on to describe the incident as "inhumane" and "an act of terrorism".

Premier League clubs are monitoring them closely, with Sky sources saying Arsenal are one of a number of sides interested in signing Gelson Martins. The 23-year-old winger, who has previously been linked with Liverpool, is sure to be an attractive free agent having scored eight goals and provided eight assists in 31 Primeira Liga appearances last season.

Midfielder William Carvalho has been linked with Arsenal in the past and last summer he was close to joining West Ham, who eventually withdrew their interest over fitness concerns and Sporting's refusal to lower their £40m asking price. Now, however, Sky sources say he is a target for Everton, whose new manager Marco Silva has worked with him before.

Bruno Fernandes is attracting interest, too. The playmaker has been linked with Premier League sides in previous years but it now seems his most likely destination is Italy, where Roma are said to be leading AC Milan in the race for his signature. "I think in three or four days we will know more," his agent, Miguel Pinho, told LaRoma24.

Rui Patricio, meanwhile, has been tipped to join the growing Portuguese contingent at Wolves. The newly-promoted side have already sealed a loan deal for Mexican striker Raul Jimenez from Benfica, and reports suggest the 30-year-old will become their latest signing from the Portuguese league.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...gue-clubs?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Bas Dost; 90app 70goals for Sporting, scores 26 of them goals with his head and their own fans give him a head injury before a cup final..?

o_O

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Gnabry was the most talented youngster we had come through since Wilshere, but tbf that back injury of his killed his chances here. West Brom loan just ended up being the funeral. Absolutely shocking management by the club letting Pulis waste him.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Gnabry was the most talented youngster we had come through since Wilshere, but tbf that back injury of his killed his chances here. West Brom loan just ended up being the funeral. Absolutely shocking management by the club letting Pulis waste him.

Wasn't there stories that Pulis was actually right? Or that, at the very least, Arsène had talked to him and agreed that Gnabry was not acting like he should've been?

Gnabry has very little ill will towards the club, he even came to a few matches. He wanted to play and Arsenè had other players ahead of him and couldn't promise him a start (you know, the sort of thing a lot of fans used to slate Wenger for).

Both were right to part ways.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Wasn't there stories that Pulis was actually right? Or that, at the very least, Arséne had talked to him and agreed that Gnabry was not acting like he should've been?

Gnabry has very little ill will towards the club, he even came to a few matches. He wanted to play and Arsenè had other players ahead of him and couldn't promise him a start (you know, the sort of thing a lot of fans used to slate Wenger for).

Both were right to part ways.
Wenger I think might have mentioned he should have done better on loan. Pulis and West Brom media just came outright and said he wasn't good enough for this level, like they'd know a good footballer if they saw one. So glad both are in championship where they belong now.

Anyway this is all after his injury where he'd been out for almost a year and a half. After his loan he only a had a year left and didn't want to extend so there was no option but to sell. Before his injury though he was making inroads into the first team. Pretty sure he had or was about to overtake Ox in the pecking order.

Crocrodile

My heart. It hurts.
Oh Gnabry why did you go,
You left me alone in the dirt,
To play for our Bayern foe.

I think about you often,
I wish you would come back,
My heart you could yet soften,
If you'd rejoin our attack.

xoxo <3

Genuine POETential here.

Axel9090

Are they going to grant his request? Im not up to scratch on how all this works, all I know is he got assaulted by some of his fans or something.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

While I agree to you to bits, for me it's not a black and white thing to be honest. There are several factors to keep in mind.

Wenger has been a great example for giving young players trust and game time to have a chance to slot in the first team by convincing on the pitch, yet, it has happened less and less over the last couple of years as the pressure and competition has become unbearable.

There just was little leeway to do much or at least Wenger got too much pressure to do it that often. I am quite sure AMN would not have had such a chance, if it wasn't for some injuries at the back. (kinda of a blessing in disguise)

While I'm hopeful that Emery gives enough chances for such young gems, he will certainly have a lot of pressure as well to say the least.
Add to that some new players who will play over any young gun in the beginning and you'll find your game time quite restricted (barring AMN).

I agree to the point that topclass talent should push so much as to be undropable at times, but if you're not Lionel Richie, it takes a lot to develop within the first team squad of a top team.

Just look at some players who belong to the very best in the game now - De Bryune, Salah, ..(okay, kinda think Mou sucks especially there...)
Zaha, Christensen, ..
For the mortals it usually takes a run of games (at 90min!) to get that confidence and routine to show-case their abilities. Getting some minutes here and there might work some times to burst onto the scene but it's not a certainty, even for special talent.

Stannis

It’s something

Would be interstices to see how the club deals with Mendes now Arsène is gone. The guy is a bastard but he controls such a large player base that you are just hurting yourself by not engaging with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We played with a bit of a handbrake

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom