• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,159,059

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
So Arsenal have a chance to win the Div 2 title and end up losing to Swansea at home. Hmmm, sounds eerily familiar, sort of. Didn't watch the game - how was it?

Aevi

Hale End FC
Gnabry seems to be hitting some form, loving it. As much as I still want to give Ox a chance, a good finish to the season from the former might merit a chance in front him.

9jagooner

How is this a 'classy' assist? For someone of Jack's pedigree, this is standard everyday stuff especially against an U21 team.
If that was Crowley or Sheaf or any of our other midfielders, then we can drool...I am sure even Jack won't see this as classy

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Gnabry seems to be hitting some form, loving it. As much as I still want to give Ox a chance, a good finish to the season from the former might merit a chance in front him.
Gnabry is a smarter footballer - I could see him flourishing in a Wenger team. Don't think there's much between them at all in terms of pure talent but Gnabry is probably more sound tactically. I love Ox as a pure talent (at his most confident, a magnificent dribbler with great ball-striking technique and ambition), but as smart as he appears off the pitch, on the pitch he is a blunt instrument being asked to play a rapier-like game. It doesn't help that he seems to beat himself up more than most players which I'm sure affects his game.

Gnabry has the potential to be a devastating impact player but his game is more sophisticated than he shows - he's so dominant at U21 level for us that he doesn't have to play smart, just do his thing. Iwobi's performances are a faint echo of what Gnabry was beginning to produce for us in his initial breakthrough - the only thing separating the two is Iwobi's end product, with the latter showing the confidence to take risks, and Gnabry preferring a safer approach; diligently defending, smart dribbling and passing quickly. It could be that both Iwobi and Gnabry end up being first team squaddies :lol:

There's a great deal of attacking potential in our U21/U18 set-up, but the irony is that I think they need more opportunities at some point - something we would normally associate with Wenger, but I think he could do more! And that's even with Iwobi's emergence into the first team. I agree with Jeorge Bird to be honest - there is no substitute for opportunity, and with our experienced players misfiring constantly, if we aren't going to sign a player why not blood one of our younger players and give them the opportunity?

Aevi

Hale End FC
Gnabry is a smarter footballer - I could see him flourishing in a Wenger team. Don't think there's much between them at all in terms of pure talent but Gnabry is probably more sound tactically. I love Ox as a pure talent (at his most confident, a magnificent dribbler with great ball-striking technique and ambition), but as smart as he appears off the pitch, on the pitch he is a blunt instrument being asked to play a rapier-like game. It doesn't help that he seems to beat himself up more than most players which I'm sure affects his game.

Gnabry has the potential to be a devastating impact player but his game is more sophisticated than he shows - he's so dominant at U21 level for us that he doesn't have to play smart, just do his thing. Iwobi's performances are a faint echo of what Gnabry was beginning to produce for us in his initial breakthrough - the only thing separating the two is Iwobi's end product, with the latter showing the confidence to take risks, and Gnabry preferring a safer approach; diligently defending, smart dribbling and passing quickly. It could be that both Iwobi and Gnabry end up being first team squaddies :lol:

There's a great deal of attacking potential in our U21/U18 set-up, but the irony is that I think they need more opportunities at some point - something we would normally associate with Wenger, but I think he could do more! And that's even with Iwobi's emergence into the first team. I agree with Jeorge Bird to be honest - there is no substitute for opportunity, and with our experienced players misfiring constantly, if we aren't going to sign a player why not blood one of our younger players and give them the opportunity?
The prospect of Iwobi and Gnabry playing at the same time seems interesting; their different winger styles might complement each other well. Iwobi drifts centrally more and links up the attack, playing more through balls and such, while Gnabry is more of a direct dribbler that goes into the box.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The prospect of Iwobi and Gnabry playing at the same time seems interesting; their different winger styles might complement each other well. Iwobi drifts centrally more and links up the attack, playing more through balls and such, while Gnabry is more of a direct dribbler that goes into the box.
True - although Gnabry did a fair bit of cutting inside at every available opportunity back in 2013/14. Very often he was quite central in possession - don't know if that was a directive from Wenger or something he was wont to do.

I do think they would be complementary wingers to an extent - both powerful runners, both clever players with one more explosive and direct [Gnabry] than the other, more subtle option [Iwobi]. Given the relative growing goal-threat from Iwobi and consequently Gnabry's goalscoring potential as evidenced at youth level, there could potentially be a lot of goals from the pair, but they would need the opportunity to show that more often.

Our team needs goals and ice cold finishers, and I think for our young attackers, that's a clear way into the team. If the likes of Iwobi, Gnabry and behind them, Willock, Nelson, Malen, Mavididi etc, can prove to be high calibre finishers and threatening attackers once they education begins to reach completion, that could be what we need.

To put it into perspective, Marcus Rashford has 6 goals in 11 games for Man Utd after spending over half a season in the U18s. In our U18 league, we have one of the top scorers in the division in Eddie Nketiah, yet he has only just reached U21 contention. Why couldn't he, or Mavididi, or Malen do what Rashford did? We won't know, because Rashford was given the opportunity, by accident almost (and to his immense credit, has taken it) while Wenger kept faith in Giroud and Walcott.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Are you telling me that Rashford wasn't even playing U21s football?
according to this, he has played:

The 18-year-old scored his first under-21 goal in a 6-1 win over Leicester before Christmas and has trained with the first team on numerous occasions throughout the season.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The U18s lost again vs Leicester City U18s yesterday - score was 2-1.

Eddie Nketiah scored AGAIN, that's his 19th of the season. Very, very clinical. Can't wait to see his impact at U21 level.

A player called Josh Benson made his debut, described by Jeorge Bird as a central midfield with a good passing range. Was also a member of the very young Future Cup-winning squad. I'm guessing we will soon see the arrival of Trae Coyle, Olujimi Olayinka, Mark McGuiness and Xavier Amaechi next season.

Aevi

Hale End FC
The U18s lost again vs Leicester City U18s yesterday - score was 2-1.

Eddie Nketiah scored AGAIN, that's his 19th of the season. Very, very clinical. Can't wait to see his impact at U21 level.

A player called Josh Benson made his debut, described by Jeorge Bird as a central midfield with a good passing range. Was also a member of the very young Future Cup-winning squad. I'm guessing we will soon see the arrival of Trae Coyle, Olujimi Olayinka, Mark McGuiness and Xavier Amaechi next season.
So what do you reckon happens to Akpom/Mavididi/Malen/Nketiah next season, as in sold, loaned, 1st team opportunities, U18, or U21?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
So what do you reckon happens to Akpom/Mavididi/Malen/Nketiah next season, as in sold, loaned, 1st team opportunities, U18, or U21?
Lord knows!

Akpom's future is very unclear at this point. It's possible he goes on another loan but it is clear that it [loans] isn't benefiting him as far as Arsenal are concerned. I think sticking around the first team may actually have been more beneficial, although doubtful Wenger would have given him the opportunities afforded to Iwobi. Iwobi is obviously a more selfless team player which Wenger likes - Akpom's a glory-hog striker who loves scoring goals but hasn't yet transferred that confidence and excitability to first team football.
My guess is he gets his annual pre-season audition before Wenger makes up his mind then it's anything after that.

Mavididi, Malen and Nketiah presents a large headache for the academy coaches. Mavididi might get a loan, but I think he'll struggle at first if so. Like Afobe, he'll take a while to get going - he'll be popular because he works hard and runs the channels, but he really thrives in the area where his clever movement can come to the fore. I hope he goes to a team that doesn't lump it forward though.

Malen and Nketiah will become rivals for the U21 spot IMO. Both look like big talents - Malen has a savage-like approach to the game, combining technique with work-rate. Nketiah is a much smoother sort of player IMO, very good technically and very quick. He's incredibly clever in terms of movement and is a very composed finisher. Both have similarities though, so it will be interesting watching them.

I have no idea how it will turn out for the 4 of them next season but pre-season should give some indicator. Thanks to the Euros, there will probably be more youngsters on tour so we could very well see Akpom and Mavididi both get a chance to impress along with the rest of the promising attackers at U21 level.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Strong lineup.

Macey, Johnson, Pleguezuelo, Bielik, Moore, McGuane, Wilshere, Jeff, Crowley, Sheaf, Gnabry.

Serge Gnabry is playing up front it seems.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom