• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Has it gone too far?

blaze_of_glory

The biggest issue with red cards these days is giving them out for non-dangerous or professional fouls in the box that lead to penalties. Kicking a guy out for illegally denying a goal-scoring chance doesn't make much sense when another chance is given right back to the team via the penalty. There has then been no denial of the chance so the rationale fails.

Makes it so its not worth a defender trying a last ditch tackle, if you miss then it can swing a whole game more than just allowing the goal to be scored. Plus you miss the next game as well.

I heard they are going to review that rule but I'm not sure if thats true or not.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
mo50 said:
That was a brilliant lunging tackle that is allowed. None of this two feet, wreckless stuff Kompany keeps doing.

I agree here, I've noticed Kompany doesn't seem to learn with his tackles. Quality centre back no doubt, but he really doesn't do himself any favours with some of his tackles. He's quite fond of a standing leap.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
blaze_of_glory said:
The biggest issue with red cards these days is giving them out for non-dangerous or professional fouls in the box that lead to penalties. Kicking a guy out for illegally denying a goal-scoring chance doesn't make much sense when another chance is given right back to the team via the penalty. There has then been no denial of the chance so the rationale fails.

Makes it so its not worth a defender trying a last ditch tackle, if you miss then it can swing a whole game more than just allowing the goal to be scored. Plus you miss the next game as well.

I heard they are going to review that rule but I'm not sure if thats true or not.

Have to be careful with that one, if the only punishment is a penalty then you might as well just commit the foul, surely the red card here is more a deterrent than a punishment.

Bit like how a midfielder will commit an obvious foul just to stop a counter attack because the only punishment is a yellow, which should probably being higher going depending on the situation.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown

Latest posts

Top Bottom