• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Interesting Stats on PV4

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Check it.

Joint top tackles made, 71% completion.

And 82% pass completion, one of the top passers in the Premiership. I'm not starting a slate Vieira thread cos I've defended him, nor is this a "actually the stats say he's playing better than you think" thread cos he obviously hasn't been at the races for much of the season.

However, what do you guys think has been missing from his game given these impressive stats? Positioning? His ability to drive up the pitch in what seems like two seconds? Or was it just the rhythm of his game that had gone?

Open season begins here..

patrick42uk

Established Member
yeah based on the stats vieira has been great and fabregas as been average. it hard to tell really. maybe its the gilberto factor. look good in stats despite looking ****e at face value. i'v also felt that vieira has had some good games where some fans came out afterwards saying he was ****e, explainable by the madrid factor.

sabret00the

Established Member
i've said from the start of the season that his positioning is ****e, he's lost all sense of it and it's dissapointing. :(

arnoldi

The Problem With non tangible stats , By tangible I mean Corners ,goals , shots on target and on is that they look at a glass and say its half full rather than saying its half empty.

Am not into stats !!

leongsh

Those stats only tell one part of the story. What I can infer from those stats are that Patrick Vieira is playing efficiently. However, efficiency does not equal effectiveness. I'm not here to slate Paddy but have been concerned about his effectiveness. The recent match against Newcastle United saw him stepping up. It's only 1 match and we really want to see him re-impose and boss the midfield along with instigating attacks on a more consistent basis. I hope he takes that performance and builds on it.

With regards to those stats, you also have to understand that Paddy is generally an all-round midfielder and covers both attacking (helps launches attacks) and defending (helps the defence by preventing opponents from getting through to the defenders) duties. This allows him greater involvement in the game than defenders or attackers. It would not be surprising if his tackling and passing rates are high.

kel varnsen

Established Member
OneteaminLondon said:
Check it.

Joint top tackles made, 71% completion.

And 82% pass completion, one of the top passers in the Premiership. I'm not starting a slate Vieira thread cos I've defended him, nor is this a "actually the stats say he's playing better than you think" thread cos he obviously hasn't been at the races for much of the season.

However, what do you guys think has been missing from his game given these impressive stats? Positioning? His ability to drive up the pitch in what seems like two seconds? Or was it just the rhythm of his game that had gone?

Open season begins here..

he's a lazy f*ck. when he looses the ball, he doesn't track back home...
his positioning is horrible and he misses the easiest of passes. 82% pass completion is really poor, considering what kind of passes we are talking about. vieira's passing game is kind of like mad roy keane; plain, easy and no risk whatsoever. i.e. bergkamp's pass completion may be a lot lower than vieira's, but that doesn't mean vieira is the better passer.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I don't think he's quite as bad as that kel, (as you know- and what it was to agree with each other twice in a week- aaahhhh the golden daze) but point taken.

I think leongsh's right. Vieira has to be the dominant player we saw against Newcastle (in both games I thought), Sp**s and second half of Liverpool away.

kel varnsen

Established Member
i have to say, he really impressed me last sunday. his best game of the season, by far. he worked his ass off, unlike most of the other games this season. still, i'm far from convinced. he needs to dominate a few more games....

Sammer

Established Member
Tough call, this one.

He was playing great on Sunday, although the latter games were ****e.

So what does that stat tell us? Not much, because a pass completion rate of 82% can mean, that he does security-sideway-passing, that we all hate.

I agree with leongsh on this, and the stat covers only one aspect of the game (e.g. tracking back and winning the ball is not in the stat, which is a big part of paddys game).

Always have a bit of a problem with judging players from stats.

Chips&CurrySauce

It's hard to put your finger on it, but Patrick at his best simply dominates the midfield. What I feel has been missing is his running with the ball and dribbling ability.. To be honest I haven't seen this side to his game for a couple of seasons now but Patrick at his best would just drive past players as if they weren't even there... I rememeber his first few seasons at the club, I used to sit in the clock end with my mate, and we both believed it was just a matter of time before he picked up the ball in our own half and run all the way through and score a wonder goal.... It seems to me that he plays within himself alot more these days...

For the record I have always defended Patrick, despite his poor run of form.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom