• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

is ashley cole the worlds best left back?

Soler

Established Member
Mark said:
I can't think of anyone better. Zambrotta or Maxwell are perhaps on the same level as him. One of those three.

Yep. Zambrotta's probably the best with Cole a close second, and then Maxwell. He's better than Roberto Carlos could ever be. Clichy's not half bad either :wink:

Lizarazu back in the day, as well.

Jinn

Established Member
Clichy's good for his age, bu the still has a lot to learn.

In form, Cole is probably unsurpassed.

tbbosa

Roberto Carlos' scroring through free kicks does him good , Zambrota yes is very good too. But Cole's work rate and the many goal line clearance he makes, makes him the best LB.

Soler

Established Member
Carlos' free kicks are more worrying for the supporters behind a goal than the keeper.

lee1001

Established Member
Cole is a fantastic left-back, probably the best in the world. Amazing for a 23 year old!! :shock:

However i think he can still improve. He is exellent going forward but i think his final ball when he gets behind the full-back needs improving. Often it hits the first defender, he also never shoots, in some situations (Especialy with England as nobody knows how to use Ashely effectively) a shot would be the best option. A little compusure is all he needs as i know he can cross and shoot as he used to play as a striker. I think playing for Arsenal with Pires and Henry, it easier to give the ball to them in that area of the pitch as they can normaly do something special.

Lord Dula

Established Member
Doesn't Zambrotta play down the right?

I think Ash is probably the best.

I used to think Sorin was an amazing left back. He was good in the World Cup.

i think the only time in recent times that someone got past him outrageously was when pires got past him (i think it was a nutmeg) during the the England-France match in EURO 04

jonmoody61

I think Ashley is the worlds best. Carlos is not as good defensively as Cole has come on leaps and bounds recently in his defending ability. Attack he provides so many options; and he can drill a nice free kick!

He is the dogs.

Ridge

after the euro 2004 the portugal game, no one should doubt ashley's defensive skills. he doenst attack well in the england team cause his teammates cant like up with him.

yes he is the best.

Soler

Established Member
Puyol is utter, utter, utter class. I'd love to have him at Arsenal. Pity we can't afford it.

Arnie

bobbypires said:
Jose_Reyes_2004 said:
Most people would tell you Roberto Carlos is by far the best player in the world at his position - to be honest, he's quite simply sensational going forward, there's no denying that - but his defending is questionable at times and he gets caught out of position way, way too much - which is why i would say yes, ashley cole is the best left back in the world at the moment.
I agree, mate. Roberto Carlos is often out of position. Cole's defending has improved a lot and his attacking has nothing to envy R.Carlos'.

Cole-Pires-Henry, best trio on the left wing.

I think cole is second best behind carlos. Carlos is best!!

I think you guys underestimate he's defensive capabilities because his attacking is so good. He was madrids best defender last year with helguera (not hard i know) he is still good defensively. Watch madrid again and watch him defend!!

Soler

Established Member
Arnie said:
I think cole is second best behind carlos. Carlos is best!!

I think you guys underestimate he's defensive capabilities because his attacking is so good. He was madrids best defender last year with helguera (not hard i know) he is still good defensively. Watch madrid again and watch him defend!!

So, who was that did I see sloppily leave Xavier Priteto wide open on his own in a match which Sociedad won 1-4 at the Bernabeu? Carlos defends as well as Bergkamp flys.

Arnie

isolated incident!! last night cole should have been on the line for the free kick but that don't mean he's crap!!

What carlos has going for him is his pace to go backwards as well as forwards. That means danger can be taken away quickly, It's not he's fault if one or two times he or salgado can't be in the middle to save madrid when they have two incapable cb's who are doing absoloutly nothing!!

Soler

Established Member
Cole not being on the line isn't his fault. He isn't the one who sets the defensive instructions up. That's Calamity.

KingReyes

Established Member
Ashley is one of the world's best for sure, whether he's number 1 or not doesn't matter. he has proved that he's a World Class left back, one of the best going forward and one of the best at defending. And at 23 he can only improve. Zambrotta is another that really impresses me, I think Maldini is still up there, his defending is quality, he has slowed down a bit going forward but he's still up there.

Arsenal Quotes

As a club, we have an educational purpose: to give back to those people who love Arsenal so that they learn moral values from our game and how we behave.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom