• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The FA Cup Bigger Than Conference League?

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I think it would go...

1-A...Champions League
1-B...Premier League
2-A...Europa
2-B...FA cup

...would edge it, but the gap isn't as big as you make out... definitely on the same level.

The FA cup is a huge tournament too, you don't need to **** on it.
I'm only ****ting on it for argument sake. Every domestic cup is big on its own and while I love pissing on the PL the FA Cup is easily the biggest domestic cup trophy in the world.

That said there's definitely more than just an edge between them. Following your club to away games abroad, big teams from elsewhere whether it's Barcelona or Rangers who are a bit **** but have huge support and a massive stadium etc pp - teams you never play and games where you never know whether you'll get the chance again. Either that or playing Chelsea for the 5th time a season not much between them my d*ck.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Nah the league is always the biggest and the grandest. You can’t fluke a league win
Yes you can, Leicester showed that. That year the rich teams all had problems with managers or players and we had the worst injury record in premier league history. Leicester had very few injuries, a few freak buys like Mahrez, Kante, Vardy etc and an extraordinary amount of penalties awarded. It’s very rare, because it‘s only time a winner hasn’t come from one of the 3 highest squad costs.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
@drippin creating a thread comparing the FA cup to the freakin' Conference League.

Always knew he was a scumbag!

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
@drippin creating a thread comparing the FA cup to the freakin' Conference League.

Always knew he was a scumbag!

…He says, whilst contemplating whether to create a Champions League vs Charity Shield thread 😑

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
The way I see it, if you are big serious club then you have no business in the Europa league. I don’t think in my lifetime I have ever seen Madrid in that competition and I doubt I ever will. However, if you are a club with very little European success (Arsenal) you should be taking Europa very seriously.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Yes you can, Leicester showed that. That year the rich teams all had problems with managers or players and we had the worst injury record in premier league history. Leicester had very few injuries, a few freak buys like Mahrez, Kante, Vardy etc and an extraordinary amount of penalties awarded. It’s very rare, because it‘s only time a winner hasn’t come from one of the 3 highest squad costs.
they lost three games that year. Can’t see that as a fluke, maybe more that the stars aligned favourably but they still did the job deservedly

bergholt

Also we are the record winners of it, with the record holding manager...we should never downplay it.

I’m sure the same logic goes for the Emirates Cup but that doesn’t mean it’s much of an achievement.

From outside the country without the emotional aspects the FA Cup feels like a nothing tournament. I’d go out in the first round for a better chance at top two PL.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Arsenal Mania and tearing down the achievements of the club everyone on here claims to support, name a better duo :handshake:

This thread might be it for me...

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Nah the league is always the biggest and the grandest. You can’t fluke a league win

Huh? As bad in terms of quality wise the CL has been in recent years, it’ll always be the number 1 prize in club football for me. Partly because we haven’t won it before.

Not winning the CL in 2006 and even getting knocked out of the competition during those year were definitely one of the worst feelings I felt as a football fan. Not sure missing out of the league even in the 00s and last year really match up to it.

UpTheGunnerz

Huh? As bad in terms of quality wise the CL has been in recent years, it’ll always be the number 1 prize in club football for me. Partly because we haven’t won it before.

Not winning the CL in 2006 and even getting knocked out of the competition during those year were definitely one of the worst feelings I felt as a football fan. Not sure missing out of the league even in the 00s and last year really match up to it.

Not a controversial opinion, totally get where you’re coming from and don’t think there’s a right answer just personal preference. Should have clarified that in my previous post

Tnegs

Getting knocked out in 03/04 was arguably worse. We had an incredible team and we were strolling to the PL title. The CL should have been ours with teams like Monaco and Porto standing in the way yet we somehow managed to bottle the game against a poor Chelsea side. Our record in Europe is truly disgraceful for such a big club.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
You arguably have to beat bigger teams to win FA Cup tbh, even though its probalby an easier journey.
Very arguable imo, there's City and Liverpool at a stretch and even those teams were not nearly as good some 10 years ago. The EL always has very good teams in it.

What's less arguable imo (and no one brought it up so far) is there are always loads of weak teams in it. You can get to the final playing just lower tier sides, think United won it like that in recent years although tbf that's just United they won their EL title the exact same way.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Bit of a dumb thread.

PL and CL obviously sit at the top of the tree. Today i‘d take either equally but back in the day, when we were winning PL’s, the CL was the obvious target.

Europa and FA cup are broadly equal. Don’t reallly care what you get in terms of CL qualification from the former as that’s just a bribe to take it more seriously and make UEFA even richer. The latter is the most famous, oldest and most prestigious domestic cup competition in the world and we’re excellent at winning it, as the stats prove.We can be justly proud of our relationship with it. Many of my best days as an Arsenal fan have been associated with it, from early memories of the club. (71) to numerous and with the exception of Pool in Cardiff successful attendances at finals across three decades. But I agree our Euro pedigree is poor so if we were in it, I’d always want to win it.

Conference league is literally nowhere and no one with a brain gives a single **** about it. I’d place it lower than the Carabou or whatever the **** it’s called.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Find it interesting it's just anglos and/or morbidly obese people who rate the FA Cup higher or equal to the EL, while successful, good looking people and the athletes in question tend to rate the EL higher.

Not sure what to make of this observation. Interesting.

UpTheGunnerz

Find it interesting it's just anglos and/or morbidly obese people who rate the FA Cup higher or equal to the EL, while successful, good looking people and the athletes in question tend to rate the EL higher.

Fat shaming on a Friday morning, tsk.
Not sure what to make of this observation. Interesting.

vantoure

agree with the general point @UpTheGunnerz is making.

the leicester example is an outlier, you'd struggle to mention another team that fluked a league win.

the UCL on the other hand, you can be "not the best" during the course of the season and turn up for 4-5 key matches - Inter Milan, Chelsea x 2, Porto. Even some of the Madrid wins recently were certainly "flukey"

What the UCL has is marketing prestige, and just like the world cup, because it's not in your face every weekend, there's a longing for it. However, the league is more of a dog fight week-in week-out

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
As an Arsenal fan you have to rank the CL above the PL.

We've won the PL and it's predecessors 13 times. We've never won the European Cup / CL.

I'd give a couple of PL titles up to win the CL tbh.

Arsenal Quotes

I'm prepared to be committed to the club at least until we go into the new stadium. For me, it’s important that the club goes in there and that I make sure the team are at a very good level. After that, whether it’s me or someone else, the club will be able to compete at the highest level. But for me to run away now would not be fair.

Arsène Wenger after extending his contract on 2004
Top Bottom