• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

We scored 85 goals ffs and the guy is bored fml man! Yeah not much flair granted but 85 goals in the league, it cant be ignored!

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Didn’t we sign Santi around then? He was a legit top Spanish baller.

Legit top Spanish baller? That description should only really fit Xavi, Iniesta and maybe at a push David Silva and Fabregas.

Cazorla played second fiddle to all of them in the national team. He was class but very much second best in the tier of Spanish midfielders.

We also got routinely spanked 4-0 by a Brendan Rodgers Liverpool side, 6-0 by Chelsea in Wenger’s 1000th game. If you genuinely think that team is better than our current one, not sure what to tell you tbh.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Legit top Spanish baller? That description should only really fit Xavi, Iniesta and maybe at a push David Silva and Fabregas.

Cazorla played second fiddle to all of them in the national team. He was class but very much second best in the tier of Spanish midfielders.

We also got routinely spanked 4-0 by a Brendan Rodgers Liverpool side, 6-0 by Chelsea in Wenger’s 1000th game. If you genuinely think that team is better than our current one, not sure what to tell you tbh.
Those teams were built with pennies and over achieved. They actually won cups unlike this lot.

I don’t know why I get tagged and dragged into this, it’s seriously draining for me doing this. I have my own thoughts, and I take no pleasure in putting this side down.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

You might enjoy set piece FC mate, my Arsenal standards are higher.
The league is more physical, there are like athletes now. For years we got accused of being bullied, now its the other way. We need a couple of technical players and were golden.

GDeep™

League is very weak
The league is more physical, there are like athletes now. For years we got accused of being bullied, now its the other way. We need a couple of technical players and were golden.
The current league has maybe the worst set of players we’ve seen since the early 90’s maybe.

All just athletes.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
If the league was better overall, you wouldn't find two teams racking up almost 100 points almost every year or 90+.

This suggests that the other teams are being steamrolled most weeks. If the league was tougher, you'd find much more equitable points distribution.

Even if we leave aside the top 2, is there much discernible difference between mid and lower table teams of now vs yesteryear?

The points totals are probably similar, the results against the big sides remain the same by and large, albeit there are less shocks since the top 2 rack up more points than before

Leaving aside points totals, are the games harder? How do you measure that? Different players and a different system.

If this City team is better than Pellegrini's teams, does it matter if Everton (I know they aren't) are better than they were under Moyes? Both teams improved, so the game itself isn't harder

At the end of the day Sky and the PL have to push. a narrative that the league is better or harder than its ever been to sell the product, because at the end of the day, who wants to watch a league that is worse than previous seasons.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
The league is poor, however you look at it. Quality of matches, star quality etc. You have the poorest Utd side ever who get battered every week but they are in contention for top 6.

This is also the worst Arsenal side I have seen. No stars, boring football etc.

How do you think Arsenal 2007/08, Chelsea 2007/08 and United 2007/08 compete this season?

Where do they finish do you think?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
They all finish second. If you just look at starting elevens, these teams are a cut above the rest this season but still behind City.
The rich teams in the mini super league at the top today play like machines, everything choreographed and micro managed down to the last kick. No room for flare, flicks and tricks. So it’s very difficult to compare with teams of yesteryear.

The teams of yesteryear might be more enjoyable on the eye, but I think the skill set required to be a professional footballer today is higher (if you include athleticism). Every player on the pitch, starting with the keeper, now has to be technically adept, and every single player has to be physical and dominant in the duels.

I would be curious to see statistics about miles run etc over the years. I'm sure it has gone up.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The teams of yesteryear might be more enjoyable on the eye, but I think the skill set required to be a professional footballer today is higher (if you include athleticism). Every player on the pitch, starting with the keeper, now has to be technically adept, and every single player has to be physical and dominant in the duels.

I would be curious to see statistics about miles run etc over the years. I'm sure it has gone up.
The most distance covered this year so far was 13.2 km by Doucoure. Rice is the highest for Arsenal at 12.29 km.

We obviously don't know the stats for the early years of the prem, but I remember Aaron Ramsey was frequently clocked at 12km+ over 10 years ago. In the 2017 cup final he covered a record breaking 14.4km.

It's a myth that people are much better athletes today than they used to be because of nutrition and training. The difference is quite small. Times in athletics are very similar today to the 1980s unless a freak comes along like Usain Bolt. In the 800 metres Sebastian Coe ran 1m41s in 1981. The fastest 800m time in 2023 was 1m 42s despite all the new training methods and nutrition.

Arsenal Quotes

When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom