• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Jack and his agent need to play their cards very carefully here. AFC have been very very patient with JW, a lot of top clubs in our situation would have cut and run many a season ago.

I like Jack very much and believe he can be a very good contributor to the squad but if he is thinking he can waltz back into our starting XI with a pay rise to boot then he needs to be dealt a reality check.

mm76

Yer Da
Who is going to buy an injury prone player who is currently injured again?

my understanding is he's only injured for 6-8 weeks so couldn't we sell him after that in the summer?

and i'd have thought that if his being injury-prone bothers people it won't matter when we sell him - it will always be a drawback and the older gets the worse it is

karl

The options are let him go on a free next year, give him a new contract, which will mean a pay increase or get rid of him in the summer. So you're for the third option?
Sorry, I thought I was clear. I would try and move him on in the summer along with a few others. If we have to accept there won't be a change at the top, you have to shift players that have become stale at this club for any chance of improving next year.

A promoted club, or someone looking to take a chance might go for some of our under-achievers. They may just need to move out of their comfort zones and it will do both sides some good.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
Sorry, I thought I was clear. I would try and move him on in the summer along with a few others. If we have to accept there won't be a change at the top, you have to shift players that have become stale at this club for any chance of improving next year.

A promoted club, or someone looking to take a chance might go for some of our under-achievers. They may just need to move out of their comfort zones and it will do both sides some good.

Fair enough, I agree.

karl

Fair enough, I agree.
Good to know, but I feel we will be disappointed if Arsène is in place.

The point is, you cannot keep a squad in place and hope something is going to change with players that have been doing the same thing for almost a decade. Clearly it will not work at this club for many who are regularly injured or never find consistency. Only a fool would keep trying when there are funds at his disposal to really make an improvement.

Was he mismanaged earlier on in his career?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...r-warns-FA-Arsenals-teenage-England-star.html

We've definitely invested too much in him and vice-versa to be discarding him at 25 years old. Get him rehabbed and ready to go for August (if he has no setbacks or further surgery (as is usually the case for our medical team).

Best years are still ahead of him 26-32 and you've seen what 30+ million gets you with Xhaka. You won't find many fit on form Jack Wilshere's around. Especially one's that have been invested in from a young age like Jack.

karl

I feel people are too hung up on him considering all the other issues we have.

The Jack issue is pretty much down the list for me.
It is not Jack himself as an individual, but his situation is a primary illustration of why this club is not working. If he was the only injury prone player that is not showing great form I could deal with that.

The problem is that Arsène keeps many of this kind of player around. We need better value from all those salaries going out.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Jack would be batshit crazy to not accept the same pay on a new contract. At this point he'd probably be lucky to earn half as much at a new club. I'm sure he'll take it though, unless he puts first team football first and leaves.

At this point I'm well past thinking he'll become a key midfielder here. He has some good attributes, hopefully he can provide decent backup. Always kinda liked him on the wing.

It is not Jack himself as an individual, but his situation is a primary illustration of why this club is not working. If he was the only injury prone player that is not showing great form I could deal with that.

The problem is that Arséne keeps many of this kind of player around. We need better value from all those salaries going out.

Yep, but for a club who has re-signed an aging Flamini on a free, kept Arteta and Mertesacker around, alongside Rosicky and hell even Sanogo still around, getting rid of Jack would be impossible if Wenger has kept those guys around.

I'd rather see Sanogo, Mertesacker, Jenkinson, Debuchy go before we even entertain the idea of Jack leaving.

Apart from the fact that he came through the academy and didn't cost a transfer fee. Let's say the academy would have still existed with or without Jack, and we've covered the cost of running the academy through success development/transfers from the academy:

I don't know the exact figures but let's say we've paid Jack 60,000 pounds a week since 2011, that would be roughly 18/19 million. Bearing in mind during this time, we've had successful contributions from Jack on the field despite injuries and probably worth around that figure in the recent market. If we sell Jack in the summer after he rehabs, let's say he goes for around the price, we've broke even on him.

He's 25. One or two good seasons and he's either a key contributor for our team in the next five-seven years, an Arsenal man and something that we truly lack, someone with some passion and fight. If he does well and we want him to leave for whatever reason in a couple of years at 27/28 he's be worth 30 million.

As a club, do we need to be trying to recoup wages given to Wilshere? No. Keep him around and see what happens. His upside is way too much and there is no way Wenger is even considering shipping him out. If anything, the choice is his and he is in a much weaker position going into the summer injured.

karl

Yep, but for a club who has re-signed an aging Flamini on a free, kept Arteta and Mertesacker around, alongside Rosicky and hell even Sanogo still around, getting rid of Jack would be impossible if Wenger has kept those guys around.

I'd rather see Sanogo, Mertesacker, Jenkinson, Debuchy go before we even entertain the idea of Jack leaving.
Mertesacker was a regular contributor and played quite consistently until this season. Debuchy look promising when he joined, but has not had his contract renewed. Sanogo is a mystery in the Park mould.

I don't think their circumstances compare to what I was talking about. It is players that have been here through several contracts and still we are waiting for consistency. Wilshere, Ramsey, Gibbs; you have to ask whether we will ever see something after so long.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Apart from the fact that he came through the academy and didn't cost a transfer fee. Let's say the academy would have still existed with or without Jack, and we've covered the cost of running the academy through success development/transfers from the academy:

I don't know the exact figures but let's say we've paid Jack 60,000 pounds a week since 2011, that would be roughly 18/19 million. Bearing in mind during this time, we've had successful contributions from Jack on the field despite injuries and probably worth around that figure in the recent market. If we sell Jack in the summer after he rehabs, let's say he goes for around the price, we've broke even on him.

He's 25. One or two good seasons and he's either a key contributor for our team in the next five-seven years, an Arsenal man and something that we truly lack, someone with some passion and fight. If he does well and we want him to leave for whatever reason in a couple of years at 27/28 he's be worth 30 million.

As a club, do we need to be trying to recoup wages given to Wilshere? No. Keep him around and see what happens. His upside is way too much and there is no way Wenger is even considering shipping him out. If anything, the choice is his and he is in a much weaker position going into the summer injured.

It's just that what has been invested in him up to now isn't really relevant when debating what to do for the future (that is the crux of the 'Sunk Cost'). Opinions will differ on whether he can do a job for Arsenal in the future. Personally, I don't see it being worthwhile. Of course he's in a weaker position being injured - his injury record is terrible. He isn't really showing that he can be a reliable performer for Arsenal as far as I can see.

Mertesacker was a regular contributor and played quite consistently until this season. Debuchy look promising when he joined, but has not had his contract renewed. Sanogo is a mystery in the Park mould.

I don't think their circumstances compare to what I was talking about. It is players that have been here through several contracts and still we are waiting for consistency. Wilshere, Ramsey, Gibbs; you have to ask whether we will ever see something after so long.

I dont think Wilshere and Ramsey have been inconsistent in term of performance. Wilshere has always offered something positive, I don't think there has ever been a period where his actual performances have been questioned. Ramsey has, but he has suffered from injuries. Quite a difference in the sense but Wilshere's injuries have been mainly impact/tackles, whilst apart from Ramsey's leg break, most of his are hamstring/thigh/calf strains etc.

Same with Gibbs. I don't think it's consistency, it's more limitations i.e defensive ability or/and attacking contributions.

Mertesacker was a regular contributor and consistent but has caused us major issues with his lack of pace, same with Arteta for a while, consistent in what he did, but his lack of legs caused us issues.

I think the likes of Wilshere/Ramsey are vital to keep around. It was only a couple of months ago people were screaming for Ox to be sold. All it takes is 10 or so games of good performances and suddenly they are key players again.

I think the focus should be on getting them consistently on the pitch. And I also think part of the reason they may be perceived as having failed is part of a larger failure from the top of the club to the bottom, from the ownership, to Wenger overplaying Jack in 10/11 . 45 games?, to Wenger's man management/individual instructions i.e is Ramsey being asked to run into the box and try and get goals, if so, we can't attack him that he's going forward too much.

karl

I dont think Wilshere and Ramsey have been inconsistent in term of performance. Wilshere has always offered something positive, I don't think there has ever been a period where his actual performances have been questioned. Ramsey has, but he has suffered from injuries. Quite a difference in the sense but Wilshere's injuries have been mainly impact/tackles, whilst apart from Ramsey's leg break, most of his are hamstring/thigh/calf strains etc.

Same with Gibbs. I don't think it's consistency, it's more limitations i.e defensive ability or/and attacking contributions.

Mertesacker was a regular contributor and consistent but has caused us major issues with his lack of pace, same with Arteta for a while, consistent in what he did, but his lack of legs caused us issues.

I think the likes of Wilshere/Ramsey are vital to keep around. It was only a couple of months ago people were screaming for Ox to be sold. All it takes is 10 or so games of good performances and suddenly they are key players again.

I think the focus should be on getting them consistently on the pitch. And I also think part of the reason they may be perceived as having failed is part of a larger failure from the top of the club to the bottom, from the ownership, to Wenger overplaying Jack in 10/11 . 45 games?, to Wenger's man management/individual instructions i.e is Ramsey being asked to run into the box and try and get goals, if so, we can't attack him that he's going forward too much.
You make some good points, but I still think we need more robust players and keeping fit is part of the consistency the club need from the playing staff. They have all earned a fortune, so I don't feel guilty about moving them on.

Players like Giroud managed at least 40 games most seasons and sometimes 50. Probably we need an upgrade now, but that is the level you need from most players if the team are going to do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom