• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

January Striker Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOONER1991

Established Member
ArsenalDNA said:
Who do you suggest we should have gone for?

I don't have 100's of scouts around the globe. You're telling me that our acclaimed scouting network could not have found a striker?

Wenger went for Demba Ba on loan at the end of the summer, at that type of calibre we could have had Wilfred Bony, Benteke, Papisse Cisse, Loic Remy from this league alone.

ArsenalDNA

No one worth locking into a long term deal.

We could have had Berbatov or Vucinic but neither are better than Giroud and both would have been deadweight in 7 months.

I'm as disappointed as anyone but you've got to admit there was no one available. Chelsea need a striker almost as much as we do and they weren't linked with one either.

I honestly don't know who you two think we should have signed.

ArsenalDNA

It's pretty obvious Wenger isn't looking to sign anymore mediocre players unless it's on loan.

Bony just signed for Swansea so would cost 20+, Benteke the same, Remy is on loan at Newcastle which makes things tricky and Cisse has been beyond s**t since his initial 6 months.

Newcastle were never going to do us any favors after we went for Cabaye at the end of Summer window.

GOONER1991

Established Member
We currently have Bendtner on our books, Bendtner. Outside of his goal against Cardiff, he has been falling over his feet all season. All of the names that I have mentioned are better than him, while all would provide at least decent competition for Giroud and don't look like they are running in treacle all the time. Also, Bendtner's contract is up in the summer, so we would still have room to sign an upgrade on Giroud come the summer.

I wouldn't have wanted Berbatov, only really considered him early on in the window out of desperation. Vucinic is better than Giroud.

Chelsea didn't sign a striker, that's true, but they currently have Eto'o, Torres and Demba Ba. We have Giroud, Bendtner and Yaya Sanogo. Hardly a comparable situation.

That's not even taking into account Wenger's gross negligence of other positions in our squad - Walcott replacement.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Currently we are entering a difficult period regarding our fixture list. We have one defensive midfielder who has just come back from injury. Flamini is suspended. Wilshere and Ramsey are injured which leaves us with Chamberlain in midfield, also just recently back. We are playing an inexperienced youngster on the wing and we only have one central defender as cover who is also coming back from injury. People are still moaning we didn't get a striker?

Get your priorities in order. Do you see goals and nothing else? Some striker who will bang in 30 goals a season and looks good while doing it? Is that all you need to make you happy?

We are entering our difficult period with practically no midfield. Who cares who is upfront.

GOONER1991

Established Member
The_Playmaker said:
Currently we are entering a difficult period regarding our fixture list. We have one defensive midfielder who has just come back from injury. Flamini is suspended. Wilshere and Ramsey are injured which leaves us with Chamberlain in midfield, also just recently back. We are playing an inexperienced youngster on the wing and we only have one central defender as cover who is also coming back from injury. People are still moaning we didn't get a striker?

Get your priorities in order. Do you see goals and nothing else? Some striker who will bang in 30 goals a season and looks good while doing it? Is that all you need to make you happy?

We are entering our difficult period with practically no midfield. Who cares who is upfront.

This is the "January Striker Hunt" thread.

Maybe you should read, before telling people to get their priorities straight? :)

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
ArsenalDNA said:
It's pretty obvious Wenger isn't looking to sign anymore mediocre players unless it's on loan.

Bony just signed for Swansea so would cost 20+, Benteke the same, Remy is on loan at Newcastle which makes things tricky and Cisse has been beyond s**t since his initial 6 months.

Newcastle were never going to do us any favors after we went for Cabaye at the end of Summer window.

Agree with this. We were humstrung by deadwood players wages for years. When we buy now, we buy because the players will deliver for a number of years. Undoubtedly we can improve but at what cost... at the cost being unable to grab a Benzema or a Pedro during the Summer. There are players out there that can improve us undoubtedly and Wenger is no doubt aware of this and where our shortcomings are. Im upset as anyone we didn't add a very high quality winger or striker to push us on but Wenger had a decision to amke and he obviously felt putting someone on 50-80k wages a week for the next 2-3 years wasn't something we could do if we're going to build the team we need. Of course its not Wenger who controls the purse strings either so it may be a possibility that it wasn't Wenger who decided not to go for a hypothetical player. Lets not forget that if Sagan goes during the Summer we have to add a right back while we're at it.

I would have really have liked us to add a young and promising centreback so they can learn as much as they can while we have Mert and Kos at the club because there is no guarantee they'll be here in a couple of years and the defensive solidity we have had for most of this season is one of the most hard won aspects of our team, to lose it again would be a nightmare.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I read the title. The January window is closed. Reflecting on our midfield signing makes sense. Moaning about not getting Berbatov is a waste of time.

ArsenalDNA

GOONER1991 said:
We currently have Bendtner on our books, Bendtner. Outside of his goal against Cardiff, he has been falling over his feet all season. All of the names that I have mentioned are better than him, while all would provide at least decent competition for Giroud and don't look like they are running in treacle all the time. Also, Bendtner's contract is up in the summer, so we would still have room to sign an upgrade on Giroud come the summer.
As you said, Bendtner is gone in the summer. What's the point of replacing deadwood like Bendtner with deadwood like Vucinic?

GOONER1991 said:
I wouldn't have wanted Berbatov, only really considered him early on in the window out of desperation. Vucinic is better than Giroud.
That's up for debate, Vucinic has only scored more than 14 league goals in a once and that was close to a decade ago. So he's obviously nothing special as a goal scorer, and I'd find it hard to believe if his hold up play and linking with the team is as good as Giroud.

GOONER1991 said:
Chelsea didn't sign a striker, that's true, but they currently have Eto'o, Torres and Demba Ba. We have Giroud, Bendtner and Yaya Sanogo. Hardly a comparable situation.
Giroud is better than all three of them and Wenger obviously sees Poldi as a striker too.

GOONER1991 said:
That's not even taking into account Wenger's gross negligence of other positions in our squad - Walcott replacement.
We have a thousand players who can play wing. And we were obviously looking at Draxler. I wouldn't want Wenger signing someone like Konoplyanka if it would stop us for going back for a special talent like Draxler in June.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

This backs up what I was thinking about Draxler

Jan Aage Fjortoft ‏@JanAageFjortoft 11m
My view. Based on my information.

Bayern Munich managed to stop the Draxler-deal by saying "we take him in the summer".

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
celestis said:

Bayern Munich managed to stop the Draxler-deal by saying "we take him in the summer".

Worrying if true

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Monstar-Gunn4r said:
celestis said:

Worrying if true

Not worrying in the slightest. The clause shows the player to make the decision regarding his destination. If he really wants to come to us and we want him. It will happen.

ArsenalDNA

There aren't many German players out there who would choose Arsenal over Bayern.

If Bayern really are interested then he's pretty much as good as theirs.

He'd obviously get a bit more game time with us but there aren't many 20 year olds who think like that.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

‘I want to go and had a good offer to leave,’ said Draxler.

‘But the Schalke manager Horst Heldt said no the transfer and would not let me go.’

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
celestis said:

This seems like utter nonsense.

Arsenal - How much do you want for Draxler?

Schalke - £XXm

Arsenal - We're willing to pay that

Schalke - Okay

Bayern - Hi Schalke, we're your league rivals. Don't sell your most talented player to someone in another league. Instead, wait 6 months and sell him to us so we can get even further ahead of you.

Schalke - OK Bayern :D Sorry Arsenal, no deal

Sydney Gooner

Established Member
DanDare said:
celestis said:

This seems like utter nonsense.

Arsenal - How much do you want for Draxler?

Schalke - £XXm

Arsenal - We're willing to pay that

Schalke - Okay

Bayern - Hi Schalke, we're your league rivals. Don't sell your most talented player to someone in another league. Instead, wait 6 months and sell him to us so we can get even further ahead of you.

Schalke - OK Bayern :D Sorry Arsenal, no deal

Exactly it makes absolutely no fu*king sense. This has to be bullshit.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Sydney Gooner said:
^
Confirmation that it was was just about settling on a fee.

Wenger met the price, mate.

Vucinic pulled out of a deal too.

What more can Wenger do? Easy for some of you to be armchair managers now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom