• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joey Barton

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Barton shouldn't be too dear, being in the last year of his deal. Newcastle don't want to sign him on anyway. 28, experienced, and cheap as chips.

We could do with him, with Denilson off and Diaby being a crock.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
Humble Rex said:
Barton is a thug and despicable human being first and foremost. On top of that he is not a very good footballer. Not by what should be "Arsenal standard" anyway.
His ability as a footballer has never really been called into question, and I actually think he's a very good one at that.

patrick42uk

Established Member
He's a good footballer without question and on the pitch he has calmed down. I'm not against this - my only reservation is that he's a racist **** but at the end of the day its an irrelevant one. He'd come here and he would behave and thats the most important thing. He has a a strong mentality, winner's mentality,. Frankly, he ticks pretty much all the boxes of what we need in midfield

patrick42uk

Established Member
He said to talksport that the only thing that would make him leave Newcastle this summer is a club offering champions league football. Coupled with the fact that Newcastle have decided not to extend his contract - he seems very available to me.

He comes across very well in this interview he did with talksport recently. His partner is expecting a baby apparantly; he just seems much more mature these days. I think it would be a good move for us, but the link is very tentative at the moment.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/saggers-and-quinny/blog/2011-06-16/joey-barton-nolan-newcastle-and-his-future" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/sagger ... his-future</a>

Irish_Owen

Established Member

piersmorgan Piers Morgan

Oddly, @Joey7Barton may not be such a bad idea for the #Arsenal dressing room. Just need to find a muzzle.

Joey7Barton Joseph Barton
@piersmorgan am going to take that as a compliment coming from you Mr Morgan but don't believe what you read in the papers #usuallywronghaha

Humble Rex

Established Member
We have no need whatsoever for Barton, or someone of the same quality, considering what we already have.

I´d also throw up if we signed him...

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Humble Rex said:
We have no need whatsoever for Barton, or someone of the same quality, considering what we already have.

I´d also throw up if we signed him...

There are only 4 midfielder better then him, he would be an upgrade on Denilson/Diaby/Rosicky trio.

I wouldn't be against him coming here

And what happened to possibility a person can better himself? How some of you here absolutely reject the idea of someone drastically changing his life and the way of thinking is beyond me..

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Beksl said:
And what happened to possibility a person can better himself? How some of you here absolutely reject the idea of someone drastically changing his life and the way of thinking is beyond me..

Last season showed that there are still moments where he simply can't control himself, and given his reputation and his age, I don't think much will change over the next couple of years.

And I don't believe people can "change" at all.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Barton will never be able to do right in some peoples eyes. He is pretty close to a model professional now days.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I don't want to go in to a psychological debate, but you are being ignorant and very deterministic if you don't think someone can change his behavior.

Most of the things people on here are rubbing his nose with weren't committed last season but years before..

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Beksl said:
I don't want to go in to a psychological debate, but you are being ignorant and very deterministic if you don't think someone can change his behavior.

Most of the things people on here are rubbing his nose with weren't committed last season but years before..

For example, Barton's punch against Pedersen happened this season, as far as I'm informed.

My "people can't change" statement was related to them not changing their personalities, not their behaviour. That's two different animals.

One can change his behaviour, but the personality remains the same (imo), and therein lies the problem with Barton.
I always fear he might go nuts in any circumstances on the pitch, just my opinion.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
redwhiteAustrian said:
Beksl said:

For example, Barton's punch against Pederson happened this season, as far as I'm informed.

My "people can't change" statement was related to them not changing their personalities, not their behaviour. That's two different animals.

One can change his behaviour, but the personality remains the same (imo), and therein lies the problem with Barton.
I always fear he might go nuts in any circumstances on the pitch, just my opinion.

Well I never said he changed his personality so I thought you are referring to his behavior though I didn't use this word either. :wink:

And the worst Barton's antics never happened on the pitch, although they probably did have an effect on the squad. Anyways, I think it should at least be regarded as a possibility here that his ''kicking teamates in the face'' days are over...

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
I know that you never said he changed his personality, I just thought you're hinting at that with saying "one can better himself".
In the case of Joey Barton, changing his personality would mean "to better himself", that's why I said what I said.

Yes, his worst antics never happened on the pitch but who knows what kind of bad influence he's had at some on his teammates behind the scenes (that cigarette disaster with Dabo surely didn't come without reason)?
For me, signing him would be too big a risk, and therefore I don't want him.

I accept, that others have a different view on that of course.

fabo

6.51 / 10
I wouldn't piss on this **** if he was on fire. 4 pages about Joey bloody Barton, my God.

The weekend tends to be a slow time on the transfer front.

dyeruz

Established Member
Amazing people complain we're a soft touch and need an aggressive sort to pull people's head's out of their as$es when things are not going our way. something needs to change at Arsenal, Barton's a good footballer and won't stand no prima donna sh*t, we need more of him in the dressing room, if he gets racist there are a ton of black french dudes who will beat his as$ and keep him in check. Sign him up!

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
A lot of misguided and overly pious b/s in this thread. As if you two or three give a crap (let alone know) whether he's 'changed'.

And I still can't believe how much he's being overrated as a player and how his hardman status has sky-rocketed. He's a complete fraud on that front and to think otherwise means you're looking at his nauseous past as validation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.
When you read some books they are fantastic, the writer touches something in you that you know you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life.
If you are living like an animal, what is the point of living? What makes daily life interesting is that we try to transform it to something that is close to art. And football is like that.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom