• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joey Barton

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
morpho said:
AnthonyG said:
morpho said:
Who would you like to have as a squad player? Denilson, Diaby or Barton?
That doesn't even make sense.
enlighten me
Bloody nora, they don't play in the same spots, none of them are mutually exclusive anyway, Barton might not want to be merely a 'squad player', you've picked some players that you hope will make people plump for Barton, and why not just say who would you rather have for a squad player 'Barton or this other signing'.

I'd rather Lansbury.

patrick42uk

Established Member
I'd rather have Barton than Diaby. Diaby can be a match winner, but those games are very few and very far between. You can say "squad player" but I'd prefer a squad player to be someone that can be relied on consistently for a number of games. Not only is Diaby very injury prone, he is terribly average in most games, and a downright liability in others. Barton would be more consistent, is quite talented himself and can be a game changer with his passing and on set pieces and has a winner's mentality. It aint even a contest - Diaby is right up there with a few that need to be sold.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
I'd rather have Barton than Diaby. Diaby can be a match winner, but those games are very few and very far between. You can say "squad player" but I'd prefer a squad player to be someone that can be relied on consistently for a number of games. Not only is Diaby very injury prone, he is terribly average in most games, and a downright liability in others. Barton would be more consistent, is quite talented himself and can be a game changer with his passing and on set pieces and has a winner's mentality. It aint even a contest - Diaby is right up there with a few that need to be sold.

It's grass being greener on the other side, Patrick.

Diaby remains absent a lot due to injuries, but Barton's availability record isn't any better because he has been suspended and been in jail for durations when he should have been playing for his club.

Diaby doesn't perform well enough at times. Barton is no world beater and you always run the risk of him blowing his top and the team ending up with ten men or ending up without him.

Most importantly, Diaby has never been known to cause rifts within the team or having serious fights with players. Barton has a lot of previous on that count and can be a disruptive influence.

Finally, we can not just compare the two players, we need to compare how they would do for Arsenal. Newcastle team had senior English influence in Nolan (captain) and their managers who gave special attention to Barton and made sure that he doesn't transgress yet again. We don't have English players from similar background as Barton who can relate to him and be a calming influence on him. He was a big player at Newcaslte which is why they took special care, but, he is not an exceptional talent for us and we'd never bother with looking after him the way Newcastle did. He has a lot of previous, so, he would get the maximum penalty next time he crosses lines.

He may or may not be a better player than Diaby, but, he is definitely not a better fit at Arsenal, currently.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
The guy has played for Man City and Newcastle sides who were happy to avoid relegation, all his career that he almost put an early end to due to his own stupidity.

Happy? He should go bonkers with delight if he can become a squad player at Arsenal.

Vela

Established Member
Don't want him I hope this is all fake. He has played mostly on the ring wing this season for Newcastle not in the centre. Rather get Parker.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Might have played on the right this season at times, but the previous 10 years have been spent in the middle of the park. Others at Newcastle had stormers so you can understand Barton being pushed to the right, where he still performed.

McIntyre

Established Member
Iloveyouarsenewenger said:
The guy has played for Man City and Newcastle sides who were happy to avoid relegation, all his career that he almost put an early end to due to his own stupidity.

Happy? He should go bonkers with delight if he can become a squad player at Arsenal.

I know that. You know that.

My point is that Barton doesn't necessarily know that. He has an over-inflated ego and an attitude problem.

Even at a club like Arsenal he would be sat there watching the players getting in the team ahead of him and thinking 'I'm better than them'.

And that's how trouble in the dressing room starts as he starts taking his frustration out on everybody else.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want passive squad players who aren't going to try and usurp their teammates in the starting line-up.

But I also don't want a player with a ludicrously high opinion of himself who's going to f*ck things up behind the scenes because he's not starting games.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
Yep, I agree.

He won't miss the opportunity to come here even if he is offered a position as a squad player, but, he'd definitely disrupt the dressing room if he is made to sit of the bench for far too long.

morpho

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
Bloody nora, they don't play in the same spots, none of them are mutually exclusive anyway, Barton might not want to be merely a 'squad player', you've picked some players that you hope will make people plump for Barton, and why not just say who would you rather have for a squad player 'Barton or this other signing'.

I'd rather Lansbury.

just helping with the debate mate. chill out. were did i insinuate that i want barton here? if you read through these four pages its either hes crap - hes good... you wont agree even if you reach 100 pages. and guess what? its not even up to us. You Anthony have to realise this is a forum to express opinions. your opinion is as good as the next... get it? dont slate people who doesent agree with you, cocky f**k. I choose diaby and denilson because they are more likely to leave. If and thats a big IF Barton would ever put on a Arsenal jersey, my guess is that some have to leave first, you agree? So who is out? Hopefully a goalkeeper, a striker, maybe a defender and some midfielders. Whould a more appropriate question be roscicky or barton? The question doesnt make a difference in any potential signing, just want to know what people thinks. Were do i apply for that Anthony?

spartandre217

Established Member
I know I'd take Barton over Denilson, but then I'd also take Lansbury over Denilson and he doesn't seem to have any personal baggage to drag about :lol:

In any case, I can't see us being in for him simply due to his personality/off-the pitch antics but he's not a BAD player but he's not a great one either.

I'd be rather "meh" if we signed him not too bothered by it.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
Lets lighten the mood of this thread...

At least if we signed Barton, we'd be getting the team's first 'hipster', not a bad thing surely?

img-photo-barton-geek-classe_x500_arton143590.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Reyes !!!
Stand up for the Champions!

Martin Tyler's commentary after Jose Antonio Reyes (RIP) scores the winner against Middlesborough
Top Bottom