• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Juan Pablo Ángel

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 81
  • Views 8,782
Status
Not open for further replies.

gakc1

I would have thought that he was the perfect strike partner for Thierry Henry...

Peter Bosworth
Editor@villatalk.com

Hmmm, je suis d'accord. He'd stay central, can head the ball yet has good technique, scored almost a goal every other game in Gregory's last year in charge and a goal every game when he was with River Plate, now he's had three years to acclimatise to the English game he shouldn't have problem settling in. However, £8m - no chance, i'm sure i read somewhere a while back though that he was in the last year of his contract (might be wrong though). Also, i'd personally be a little surprised if Wenger did buy another striker during the transfer window as it might piss off Wiltord/Bergkamp/Kanu a bit too much, more likely something would happen in the summer.

gakc1

The original story from the people:

FOOTBALL: HOTLINE: A PERFECT ANGEL FOR WENGER

Arsène WENGER wants a new Angel on top of his Christmas tree ... Aston Villa striker Juan Pablo Angel.

Arsenal chief Wenger is trying to sign the Colombian cracker in a shock transfer window deal.

Angel has been the surprise shining star of David O'Leary's side this season, with a stunning goal against Chelsea in the Carling Cup among his collection of super strikes.

Highbury spies have been watching Angel closely and recommended him to Wenger as the man to take some of the load off Thierry Henry.

Angel would leap at a move to Arsenal despite at last becoming the darling of Villa Park after three troubled seasons.

The chance to compete for the game's top prizes appeals to him.

It is a remarkable turn-around for both Angel and for Villa. Chairman Doug Ellis was fuming at the £12 million Angel cost from River Plate and would be delighted to recoup some of that.Angel had a slow start after problems behind the scenes and was ready to quit under Graham Taylor .

However the Colombian hit-man has always had ability and has stood out under O'Leary's management, scoring and making goals in a struggling side.

Villa will want around £8m for Angel, exactly the kind of money Arsenal have earmarked for a new forward.

News of Arsenal's interest will also unsettle Angel, who came to Villa to chase a Champions League place rather than avoid the Nationwide League.

He is still in contract but would push for a move if Arsenal make a formal bid for him - and the word from Highbury is that an offer is heading to Villa Park as an unwelcome Christmas present.

jc8gooner

Probably a load of rubbish and I am sure he is hardly top of Arsène's list. Would be OK i think though.

lewdikris

Established Member
Unfulfilled talent, so an obvious one for the rumour mill. Right kinda player ... but probably the wrong player. No better and no worse than Viduka, Smith, Defoe, Saha and all the other english-based players mentioned. Coule be brilliant, could just as easily be rubbish.

jc8gooner

Saw that defoe got sent off today again. He is clearly v.frustrated at playing first division footie when he thinks he is too good, but at this rate, no-one will want to buy him in January.

Mark

Established Member
i think angel would be very good. i also think forsell or saha would also work, but it seems saha is not for sale.

invisibleman18

Established Member
hes not the answer i dont think. like the article says, he has good spells but they are too long between. he only got something like 4 goals in the whole of last season. although maybe with better service here he would do better as he clearly is a good finisher. i certainly would not be disappointed if he came here but theres a few i would rather have before him. if we fail to get defoe eto'o and kluivert then angel may be the next best realistic signing. top priority though i think is a central midfielder of the gerrard/ scholes type.

Andrew

What a load of ****. Won't happen in a million years... And whether Angel will be good for us? Depends which one you're talking about. The one at the moment I would take, but earlier this season he couldn't finish for ****. Anyway, this will turn out to be just another BS rumour along with the other hundreds of strikers linked to us. We really shouldn't take any notice.

Mark

Established Member
as i've said before, i'd rather we gave aliadiere a decent chance before we spend money on any strikers.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
I love that name though. Juan Pablo Angel sounds like a colombian gangster.

I know little about him, but 8m is too steep. Put the extra in and get Reyes.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Hmm this is an interesting one. Angel's like a poor man's Crespo, F Inzaghi or Trezeguet but that doesn't mean he's not good enough. I think Villa would accept closer to £5m then the £8m mentioned in the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom