• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

La Liga Thread

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
How **** is Choniolo's Atléti though, lol.

Score a golazo like that and haven't created **** all, 75% possession for Villarreal, 1-1 despite scoring a wondergoal and saving a penalty.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Score a golazo like that and haven't created **** all, 75% possession for Villarreal, 1-1 despite scoring a wondergoal and saving a penalty.

What game are you watching? It’s been end to end all half.

Atletico have been looking to counter and either side could have scored a few.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

It always been that with him but thier performance this season not been great they gone alot backwards after winning the league last season

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
What game are you watching? It’s been end to end all half.

Atletico have been looking to counter and either side could have scored a few.
One chance for Atléti (Cunha) and utter domination from Villarreal. To go into the half 1-1 with a wondergoal, having saved a penalty, says it all. It should be 1-0 or 2-0 to Villarreal.

It always been that with him but thier performance this season not been great they gone alot backwards after winning the league last season
Nah in the real sweet era of Cholismo Atléti wasn't dominated like this against teams like Villarreal, and even when they played Madrid or Barça it wasn't like this. They pressed higher up and controlled spaces much better without the ball, and had more of the ball than they do now.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

One chance for Atléti (Cunha) and utter domination from Villarreal. To go into the half 1-1 with a wondergoal, having saved a penalty, says it all. It should be 1-0 or 2-0 to Villarreal.

Nah in the real sweet era of Cholismo Atléti wasn't dominated like this against teams like Villarreal, and even when they played Madrid or Barça it wasn't like this. They pressed higher up and controlled spaces much better without the ball, and had more of the ball than they do now.

What is the real sweet era? They’re league champions and haven’t been out of the top 3 in years ffs.

Also they’re dealing with injuries, Covid and selling their starting RB a few days ago.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
What is the real sweet era?

They’re league champions and haven’t been out of the top 3 in years ffs.
League was **** last season (still is), and still almost managed to throw it away after that great start where they fluked their way to amazing results (fun fact, Atléti 5th in the xG table last season--outperformed xG by 19.59 xPTS 🤯🤯). Real sweet era is early 2010s-late 2020s. Cholo's teams don't press high like they used to in that period, complicating the construction of opponents attacks, and don't control spaces like they did then. For a few years now it's just become standard wash Mourinho low block and counter tactics, which aren't effective over long samples for a top level club.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

League was **** last season (still is), and still almost managed to throw it away after that great start where they fluked their way to amazing results (fun fact, Atléti 5th in the xG table last season--outperformed xG by 19.59 xPTS 🤯🤯). Real sweet era is early 2010s-late 2020s. Cholo's teams don't press high like they used to in that period, complicating the construction of opponents attacks, and don't control spaces like they did then. For a few years now it's just become standard wash Mourinho low block and counter tactics, which aren't effective over long samples for a top level club.

What does “fluking” it have to do with anything? Imagine saying in any pub it’s less of a title because the xG wasn’t good? You’d get laughed out of there.

At the end of the day a title is a title. Noones going to remember the strength of the league or the xG in five years.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
What does “fluking” it have to do with anything? Imagine saying in any pub it’s less of a title because the xG wasn’t good? You’d get laughed out of there.

At the end of the day a title is a title. Noones going to remember the strength of the league or the xG in five years.
Sure. But you asked what was the real sweet era of Cholismo, when they were really performing at a high level, and I told you when it was in my opinion and explained my reasons.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Incredible barca with thier massive off form this season have great chance of finishing top 4 they only 2 points behind real Betis who are 3rd

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Sure. But you asked what was the real sweet era of Cholismo, when they were really performing at a high level, and I told you when it was in my opinion and explained my reasons.

A sweet era is based on titles imo. It’s just a banter argument that it’s not a great era when you’re a league champion.

Also you’re talking about playstyles despite the team opening up and trying to play with more tactical fluidity in the last few years.

The “hurr durr Mourinho” tactics just seem like you don’t actually watch the team all that much tbh.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Also you’re talking about playstyles despite the team opening up and trying to play with more tactical fluidity in the last few years.
Cholo has been trying to do this for a while. Since he bought Griezmann basically. It's not the same thing as what I'm talking about, though.
They pressed higher up and controlled spaces much better without the ball, and had more of the ball than they do now.
For a few years now it's just become standard wash Mourinho low block and counter tactics, which aren't effective over long samples for a top level club.

The way he has failed to get Atléti to press high up and complicate opponent's construction (salida) like he did before is the main point here, there's really a noticeable difference between that era of Cholismo and this.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Cholo has been trying to do this for a while. Since he bought Griezmann basically. It's not the same thing as what I'm talking about, though.

The way he has failed to get Atléti to press high up and complicate opponent's construction (salida) like he did before is the main point here, there's really a noticeable difference between that era of Cholismo and this.

They never really pressed highly with consistency? They didn’t sit in a low block but they’d often dummy press through the middle to open up trapping opportunities on the sidelines.

Now they don’t always to quick break on teams either, they try to bring the wingers inside to play in the half spaces and dominate zone 14 by dropping a striker deep or pushing a 6 up into the gap or getting a 10 on the ball.

Also the 6’s now compared to eight years ago have a much higher starting position as they’re more comfortable on the ball and they can receive the ball on the half turn rather than collect off CBs to initiate attacks.

Last year the team had the majority of possession for the first time since 2013/14 as well. It’s just lazy saying he’s scrapped pressing for Mourinho style counters because it’s not the case.

Last edited:

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
They never really pressed highly with consistency? They didn’t sit in a low block but they’d often dummy press through the middle to open up trapping opportunities on the sidelines.
That's what I'm talking about. I didn't know the lingo for it in English, and I know that when you say high press in english people think of a different thing, which is why I added the part about complicating the opponent's construction...in spanish I mean dificultar la salida del balón, more than high press. This is what Cholo's Atléti was a master of in the era I'm talking about, and it was important in the other thing it was brilliant at, in controlling spaces (because teams, very good ones, really struggled to get into interesting spaces against them, because of how efficient they were at dificultando la salida del balón while staying compact).

It’s just lazy saying he’s scrapped pressing for Mourinho style counters because it’s not the case.
I agree that it's lazy to say that, but that's a mischaracterisation of what I said.

Yes, his tactics without the ball--or at least what the team produces--is much more standard low block stuff.

What Atléti does with the ball, which you describe, is honestly less important and interesting under Cholo; he's been trying for years now to do something a bit more positive with it but it's obvious it's a work in vain. Anyways some of the stuff you are talking about is also just inertia with the natural evolution of football.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Xavi was supposed to change things and show some balls but let his old friends Alves, Busquets and Pique be in the starting eleven. A new chapter indeed.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis

Latest posts

Top Bottom