• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ewarwoowar

Any Lawrence suggested today that Ljungberg starting Mustafi, Kolasinac and Özil was an attempt to win favour in the dressing room (because they’re some of the more vocal, bigger characters). That would set alarm bells ringing. You can’t have that sort of weak mentality in charge.

Either that or Freddie has been informed that we need to get them in the shop window with Jan window fast approaching, I believe this is most likely scenario.

say yes

forum master baiter
Appreciate that I’ve jumped the gun a bit here, but woke up fully erect for Pochettino and I reckon this might be my best ever work:

North London is red,
and don’t you ****ing know it,
Sol Campbell left to join us,
Won the double in a moment,
Becaaame invincible,
Won the league at ****e hart lane,
Now Mauricio is our manager,
And he wants to do the same,
Allez, allez, allez
Allez, allez, allez
Etc

Last edited:

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Not a bad point but in essence the style has to come from somewhere. At some point along the line Barca and Ajax made a decision to stick with a certain style. United and Arsenal could and should look to do that too. Difficult given all the limiting factors though.
Guess they had to really stay in the set up or have a relationship to the successor. A clean break after Wenger & Fergie seemed to step back completely.

Probably detrimental as well when so many players, staff & even Gill / Ivan exit in that transition period.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Any Lawrence suggested today that Ljungberg starting Mustafi, Kolasinac and Özil was an attempt to win favour in the dressing room (because they’re some of the more vocal, bigger characters). That would set alarm bells ringing. You can’t have that sort of weak mentality in charge.

It is last chance saloon for some of those established players. Emery is gone, they got their wish. They will have to step up to the plate now. The youngsters cannot carry this team.

In the short term, you probably have to be pragmatic. Longer term, some of these players need clearing out.

I don't think Amy is trying to make Freddie look bad in that piece. It is probably more an accurate reflection on how bad it is at the moment. She is a good journalist, I trust her integrity.

ClubLevel

Not sure about PV taking over ours, I don't get the same vibe that he can lift us as much as a manager than he did as a player. Think it would be a terrible choice.

Maybe Freddie was giving the likes of Mustafi, Özil & Xhaka a go to give them a chance to see if they would perform, if he feels they haven't then he will say he gave them a chance.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
We're about to enter the busiest period of the season, we have a newly-appointed interim coach with no experience at this level, we have no discernible way of playing at all, we're currently bad at both attacking and defending, and we're already on our worst run of form for over two decades.

Fans always tend to think things can't get any worse. When we were CL regulars we didn't think we could drop out. When Wenger left we didn't think we could possibly get any worse. When Emery left we didn't think we could get any worse.

It can get worse and it probably will.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
We're about to enter the busiest period of the season, we have a newly-appointed interim coach with no experience at this level, we have no discernible way of playing at all, we're currently bad at both attacking and defending, and we're already on our worst run of form for over two decades.

Fans always tend to think things can't get any worse. When we were CL regulars we didn't think we could drop out. When Wenger left we didn't think we could possibly get any worse. When Emery left we didn't think we could get any worse.

Not sure what the point of this post is. Would you rather we kept Emery?

Or could your lengthy post have been shortened to..
;)

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Here's the full summary of what he said if you're interested:

Fair points really.

Still the thought of Mustafi having any influence in our dressing room is laughable to me :lol:

DetailedAdvancedCutworm-size_restricted.gif

Hexagon9

Surely no one respects Mustafi, regardless of how much he yells, he’s ****ing terrible...what influence would he have?

Disappointed in Amy there, trying to make Freddie look weak for no reason, after one game, and with no evidence really.
I read it more that he wanted Özil onside and therefore selected his mates Mustafi and Kolasinac but as you say, no evidence quoted.

What are we actually looking for with our next manager? Someone who’s going to get us back to where we were four years ago or someone who’s going to get us to be contenders again?

I don’t think the latter exists but I fear it’s the expectation of a significant part of our fanbase.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
What are we actually looking for with our next manager? Someone who’s going to get us back to where we were four years ago or someone who’s going to get us to be contenders again?
Not serious with this, are you?
Surely the board will always look for someone who can get us to the upper most level possible of achieving??
Also, those two different objectives have more to do with how our board back our next manager in the next window than they do with who the manager is..

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I have to say I disagree with this. Yes big sums are required and it happens.

The Premier League started off with United and Blackburn being dominant, then United and Newcastle, then us and United. Then it became 3 with us, Chelsea and United. City arrived. Then it became a 4. And now Liverpool and Sp**s have got their house in order it's now a 6 and somewhere in there Leicester won the league. Its went from a top 2 to a top 6. Why is a top 7 or 8 so unimaginable? Especially given our own and Uniteds recent decline.

Liverpool and Sp**s bridged the gap without petrol dollars. A club with sound management and scouting, as seen with Leicester, can upset the apple cart. History has shown it is possible.

I respect your opinion but i have to disagree with you.
We are certainly not as attractive for a manager or a player as either City, Liverpool or Chelsea are, and we no longer have the same status as we had in 2004. The owners and board members of our club are not doing things in the right way, and besides that we are probably the cheapest big club in the world we always go for the cheap and easy option.

Both Luis Enrique and Max Allegri was apparantly to expensive for the board as possible replacements for Wenger last year, and top class managers would rightfully demand about the same salary and transfer money at Arsenal as they would have done at either City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, Juve, Bayern or Barcelona. I dont think its possible to attract top class managers in modern football by being cheap.

Both us and United are big clubs with huge resources but both clubs are sinking faster than the Titanic, due to bad owners and poor leadership. While clubs like Wolves and Leicester are slowly but surely becoming powerhouses in English football.

I am trying to be realistic and not naive nor negative.

You are both correct and I can see where you are both coming from, I'm still sceptical and interested in how these clubs progress and don't exactly see it from the same point of view as you guys, but you've both made excellent arguments so I will concede that, unfortunately all our views will take time to play out and eventually see what the outcome is for Brendan, Leicester and Wolves.

Hexagon9

Not serious with this, are you?
Surely the board will always look for someone who can get us to the upper most level possible of achieving??
Also, those two different objectives have more to do with how our board back our next manager in the next window than they do with who the manager is..
Yes, I am. I think the club has fallen by more than one level and that it’s going to take maybe three or four seasons to fix. The squad needs to be rebuilt, and though I thought that things at board level had been addressed I’m not so sure that’s true.

The attitude and approach of our talented youngsters is also an issue, Willock’s failure to even attempt to recover lost possession yesterday is something I’ve seen AMN do on numerous occasions. To me, that’s a club mindset that will take time to stamp out.

Top level managers don’t tend to hang around very long and I think we might have to do it in two stages.

Last edited:

Predicates

Crossy reckons we will wait until the summer for Rodgers

I think a lot will hinge on how well the team performs under Ljungberg over the next few matches, and whether Allegri or Pochettino would be interested. If they are not, and results start to improve, the board will probably keep Freddie until May, which in my opinion would be the best option.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Finding the right man will probably be easier in the summer. If Freddie can keep us afloat till then, it is probably the better option. Worst would be some sort of panic signing of the wrong man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams

Latest posts

Top Bottom