• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
tenor.gif

Guy gets his point across non-verbally

Imagine Wenger doing this :rofl::rofl:

goonerfamily

I think the Liverpool midfield is renowned for being sub par but functional. Klopp has a way of getting the absolute maximum out of average midfielders to support his classy attack and backlines, usually through high workrate and physicality, which he also leans on his CFs for against tougher opposition to allow Mane/EgyptianMessi enough space to exploit.

Its the perfect system for the PL tbh, probably why he came here. I think when you compare just the talent levels of the Liverpool and City squads, City have better players in 2/3 positions and very few individual Pool players would make the City team.

I think Liverpool are the perfect example of square pegs in square holes. Their transfer policy has targeted players quite clearly to play a certain position in their philosophy. Ours clearly hasn't. A good example is our strikers. I rate Laca and Auba but they are two very different types of centre forward. It is not clear what type of forward we were looking for to play that role. Hopefully we make the right appointment and our transfer policy can be more cohesive in the next couple of years

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Fabinho-Gini-Milner, is at worst, tied second best midfield in the league for me...think it’s quality, and levels above what ever we can cobble together in the middle atm.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Fabinho is exactly what we needed. He was available and Emery suggested he wanted him but again we were too slow. He really should have been bought a couple of years again instead of pursuing Lemar to replace Sanchez.

Fabinho was always rated long before Liverpool. He took time to fully adjust to the league but fits like a glove now.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I think Liverpool are the perfect example of square pegs in square holes. Their transfer policy has targeted players quite clearly to play a certain position in their philosophy. Ours clearly hasn't. A good example is our strikers. I rate Laca and Auba but they are two very different types of centre forward. It is not clear what type of forward we were looking for to play that role. Hopefully we make the right appointment and our transfer policy can be more cohesive in the next couple of years

I think Auba has shown quite clearly that he fits the system, he's continuing to score outrageous amounts of goals in an underperforming team.
They're not subpar MF. They're very solid players. They're just underrated because their game is less sexy than a player like Özil for instance (not a dig at him)

You've basically both agreed and disagreed with my post at the same time.
We just don't recognize players greatness when it doesn't fit our footballing vision imo.

And they complement each other very well.

You've basically both agreed and disagreed with my post simultaneously. Bravo!

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Fabinho-Gini-Milner, is at worst, tied second best midfield in the league for me...think it’s quality, and levels above what ever we can cobble together in the middle atm.

Can't agree. They function well but would be exposed in a different system with a worse front and backline. They are perfect for that system though, there's no denying it.

Let's play Aubamawang

How many of them were under 20 when we signed them. Not many. I'm talking about identifying these players early. Not looking for hidden gems who are 23-24 and haven't been discovered.

Think we as a club are hugely ignoring the championship and young players there. You may have to buy 5 duds to get one or two gems but maybe the gem you get is worth it.

Leciester bought maddison for what 10m? To buy him now your talking 60m. Or more.

They did the same with Maguire.

So you can afford to buy say a Slimani 25m and a maddison 10m and Slimani be a dud when you can flog him for 10-15m and Maddison for 60m and go again. Obviously it isn't just about making money but getting a couple of good years and move on and go again.
Whilst I agree with most of what you're saying, Maddison was not exactly an unknown talent. Everyone was raving about him. The only surprise is the Foxes getting him on the cheap.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Can't agree. They function well but would be exposed in a different system with a worse front and backline. They are perfect for that system though, there's no denying it.

Think they are quality and Fabinho extraordinary, but the whole is always bigger than its parts with Klopp.

Nobody gets so much out of the team and each player. Incredible stuff, really - he'd turn even our mess into title contenders in two year's time.

Last edited:

goonergaz

How many of them were under 20 when we signed them. Not many. I'm talking about identifying these players early. Not looking for hidden gems who are 23-24 and haven't been discovered.

Think we as a club are hugely ignoring the championship and young players there. You may have to buy 5 duds to get one or two gems but maybe the gem you get is worth it.

Leciester bought maddison for what 10m? To buy him now your talking 60m. Or more.

They did the same with Maguire.

So you can afford to buy say a Slimani 25m and a maddison 10m and Slimani be a dud when you can flog him for 10-15m and Maddison for 60m and go again. Obviously it isn't just about making money but getting a couple of good years and move on and go again.

Maddison and Maguire were not under 20.

If you want under 20 we've signed a lot, but again a lot of duds; Silva, Miyaichi, Eastmond, Barazite, Jenkinson, Campbell, Frimpong, Angha, Sanogo, Akpom, Ajayi, Bielik...the list is pretty long!

I think it's just harder for players to come through at 'bigger' clubs which is why Leicester etc get them and they succeed more often.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

As bad as you think liverpool midfield is it isn't as bad as people think. Milner is efficient and a workhorse. That is what is needed in midfield. Not ronaldinho. Wijnaldum is hugely underrated and would walk into our team.

Henderson has limitations but has heart and works hard. The minimum required.
But they're not elite are they?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Maddison and Maguire were not under 20.

If you want under 20 we've signed a lot, but again a lot of duds; Silva, Miyaichi, Eastmond, Barazite, Jenkinson, Campbell, Frimpong, Angha, Sanogo, Akpom, Ajayi, Bielik...the list is pretty long!

I think it's just harder for players to come through at 'bigger' clubs which is why Leicester etc get them and they succeed more often.

What about Andy Robertson? He was clearly miles above Hull’s level, myself and others had rated him for years.

We could have bought him on multiple occasions but it was Pool who got him in the end.

There’s plenty of lower division players who we’ve missed the boat on who we definitely could’ve bought. Dele Alli being another.

goonergaz

What about Andy Robertson? He was clearly miles above Hull’s level, myself and others had rated him for years.

We could have bought him on multiple occasions but it was Pool who got him in the end.

There’s plenty of lower division players who we’ve missed the boat on who we definitely could’ve bought. Dele Alli being another.

You can say that about anyone, you can't be the only team that gets all the good young players - it simply doesn't work like that.

I'm not defending our policy, I'm just saying we are trying...I just don't think our scouts are good enough - or maybe we ruin players...we've had so many promising young players, just look at Wilshere.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Judging from the banter on the last page or so, there's no news.
Oh well... let's hope I don't drop dead holding my breath.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You can say that about anyone, you can't be the only team that gets all the good young players - it simply doesn't work like that.

I'm not defending our policy, I'm just saying we are trying...I just don't think our scouts are good enough - or maybe we ruin players...we've had so many promising young players, just look at Wilshere.

It’s been a recurrent theme where we’ve overlooked the lower divisions for young talent and taken flyers on the likes of Asano.

Buying from those lower leagues means you often have players with high resale value.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Looks abit dead on the manager front I think, if you accept Allegri has declined us and Potch won’t cross over the to the red part of North London.

Im pretty high on Arteta but it now feels he’ll have too much to do, in his first job too.

Maybe in the summer you try to get Rodgers, sign some young british players and try to build an identity again.

I’m coming around to Rodgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom