• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

This isn't a pissing contest.

So because Hleb and Diaby or anyone didn't reach the heights of Henry as a player it means they don't have to attend but Henry does? They owe as much to Wenger as Henry does. Yeah, Cesc was playing for Chelsea but Henry was working as well, as was the likes of Vieira.

Excellent logic. The man has a statue outside of our stadium which means when he is scheduled to work, he shouldn't go to work and instead attend Wenger's leaving farewell at the Emirates which involved standing by the tunnel before and after the game, and as a result of not attending, he should "have nothing to do with our club".

Who said anything about their talent? I mentioned their status as a legend here. For me, Hleb and Diaby played for Arsenal Football Club but they're no legends for the club. The majority of the players that turned up were during Arsène Wenger most successful period at Arsenal.

There's a big difference, Vieira was managing a football club that's on a whole different scale to working on television. I'm sure if he asked them they wouldn't have refused due to the circumstances of it being Arsène Wenger's farewell.

That remark of Thierry was just off the tongue but I wouldn't like him at Arsenal as I don't think he's good or experienced enough to be a coach here. Fantastic player but that doesn't mean he'll be a good coach.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
Who said anything about their talent? I mentioned their status as a legend here. For me, Hleb and Diaby played for Arsenal Football Club but they're no legends for the club. The majority of the players that turned up were during Arséne Wenger most successful period at Arsenal.

There's a big difference, Vieira was managing a football club that's on a whole different scale to working on television. I'm sure if he asked them they wouldn't have refused due to the circumstances of it being Arséne Wenger's farewell.

That remark of Thierry was just off the tongue but I wouldn't like him at Arsenal as I don't think he's good or experienced enough to be a coach here. Fantastic player but that doesn't mean he'll be a good coach.
slick video tribute though....guys a pro.
He was also one of the first ditchers....first in the long line of players using us as a stepping stone....unlike Giroud, Per, Arteta, Koscielny, Santi

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Why can't we announce Arteta already, everyone knows it's him so what's the delay?

World Cup starts in less than a month, there's not much time to make our transfers and he has a big job ahead.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Just think, this time next week Greasy Mik will be choosing between Sokratis or Evans from Svens list. :drool:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
On the day I was annoyed about Henry not being there but realistically he’s got bills to pay, he’s got kids. It’s not like that day was known from the beginning of the season, otherwise you feel Sky would have covered it.

Henry as a coach might be good. I wouldn’t have him as an assistant as that would be inexperienced manager and assistant

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
@dashsnow17

Arsenal are edging closer to appointing former captain Mikel Arteta as their new head coach, a decision bound to cause consternation, intrigue or excitement depending on your disposition. The cold reality of England's third-biggest club appointing a man who has never managed a competitive game is quite extraordinary, following Arsène Wenger who sat in the Arsenal dugout 1,235 times.

So are Arsenal making a brave decision that will inject youthful zeal and fresh ideas into a stale environment, or an unambitious appointment that risks deepening divides in the fan-base and prolonging a spell away from Europe's top table? The passing of time will decide, but for now let's examine both sides of the argument.

The case for Arteta

How much of a risk really is it?

The Premier League table is stratified by wealth, which is worrying for the competition's health but reassuring for Arsenal and Arteta who have a safety net beneath them. In 2017-18, Arsenal won four of 19 away games yet still finished nine points clear of seventh-placed Burnley. The league's dynamic changes every season, but things would have to go spectacularly badly for Arsenal to finish any lower than sixth.

The embarrassing away form also means there is vast room for improvement and potentially easy gains. If Arteta is of sufficient competence to guide Arsenal to victory at Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Newcastle and West Ham, then there is a 14-point improvement straight away. Those points would take Arsenal to 77, which last season would have had them level with 3rd-placed Sp**s.

Given the weakness of the Premier League's non-existent middle class, and the attacking players at Arsenal's disposal, such a points tally should be within Arteta's reach.

For all of Jurgen Klopp and Mauricio Pochettino's excellent work, they have benefited from starting at a low base and a feeling that Liverpool and Sp**s are ascendant. In a strange way, years of consistently finishing in the top four denied Arsenal the chance to experience a similar resurgence. Now they can.

He does not need to 'manage' Arsenal

Ivan Gazidis and his allies have spent the last few years painstakingly prising the levers of control from Wenger's grip, often met with resistance from Arsenal's former manager. Head of recruitment Sven Mislintat, former Barcelona director Raul Sanllehi, contract guru Huss Fahmy and director of high performance Darren Burgess were hired to spread power and responsibility throughout the club, where once it resided in the hands of one man.

It would make little sense therefore, to hire a manger who will challenge this new reality. For years, Arsenal's behaviour and actions (or lack of) l have sent out a message to managers: 'Come to Arsenal, be well-paid in one of the world's great cities, and we'll let you do as you please until the fans stop turning up'.

The powers that be will be keen to change that message, making clear that the head coach is subordinate to them. Hiring a combative manager who wants as much power as possible could be a recipe for civil war. Four or five key individuals have replaced Wenger, Arteta just needs to coach, motivate and select the first-team.

Arteta is not a one-club 'yes' man

Arteta has strong affiliations with Arsenal but it is by no means institutionalised. Educated at Barcelona's La Masia, he went on to play for Paris Saint-Germain, Rangers and Everton, playing under managers as varied as Alex McLeish and Luis Fernandez.

Arteta was offered the chance of a youth-level job at Arsenal, but took the decision to leave and further his education at Manchester City under Pep Guardiola. Staying in the warm bath of London Colney would have been the easier option. It is an eclectic football grounding that means while Arteta 'knows the club', he should have enough perspective to see Arsenal's weaknesses.

He was also offered a position on Pochettino's coaching staff at Sp**s. These are not typical job offers for recently retired pros, so it is fair to assume Arteta is not Joe Average. People talk in football, and they are saying good things about him.

No more Groundhog Season

Apathy eventually did for for Wenger, with Arsenal season ticket holders deciding to leave seats empty in their thousands. The lack of a league title, poor performances and soft defending were all tangible reasons for them to be disgruntled. More damaging however, was the sense that Arsenal were always crashing in the same car to use a David Bowie title.

Hope is football fans' oxygen, and Arsenal fans had lost hope that each season would have a different outcome than the last. They knew Wenger like he was one of the family: every catchphrase, substitution, tactical tweak and excuse.

Now they have a completely blank canvas facing them, a chance to learn about a new man from scratch with no preconceptions. Staring straight into the unknown is daunting and stressful, but should also be a cause for excitement. No fan will have the right to say they are bored (for a few years at least).

He doesn't have to stay for 22 years

If hiring Arteta is the wrong decision, results will be poor, it will be embarrassing for Arsenal that they have mis-judged such a key decision and Gazidis could come under significant pressure. But, guess what? Arsenal sack their manager and hire a new one! Who would have thought such a thing was possible?

Arsenal have been a unique case for the past decade, having to tread delicately around a manger whose past achievements levitated him to demi-god status. The scenario will never be replicated. Arsenal will appoint multiple managers over the next 22 years, and whether he is a success or a failure, Arteta will be just one of them.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
@dashsnow17

The case against Arteta

Inexperience

The obvious place to start: Arteta has never done the job before, which in most spheres of life would be a considerable handicap. Comparisons with the arrival of an unheralded and unknown Wenger in 1996 are misguided. The 'Arsène Who?" greeting spoke more to English football's insularity than his personal history - Wenger had already managed for more than a decade and taken Monaco to the latter stages of European competition.

Parallels with mentor Guardiola or Zinedine Zidane are inaccurate too. Barcelona and Real Madrid's B teams, where both managers cut their teeth for a short time, playing in competitive leagues in Spain's lower divisions. Arteta may have accumulated a wealth of knowledge, but has never (we assume) endured sleepless nights trying to pick an eleven or been held responsible for results.

Arteta is bound to make mistakes as he learns his trade, and Arsenal could suffer the consequences. On the other hand, Wenger made his share too.

The age of Arsenal's squad

Arsenal's players have got it in the neck repeatedly over the past few seasons, called '*****-footed', 'cowards' and 'spineless' by notable pundits. They now have a chance to ram those words down their throat by prospering under a new regime.

While there are areas that need improvement and renewal, particularly in the back-half of the team, this is a more attractive squad than many think. Aaron Ramsey, Mesut Özil, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang are one quality winger away from being a stellar attacking line-up. All are in the prime of their career.

Had Arsenal managed to tempt Massimiliano Allegri away from Juventus, and made the right moves in the transfer market to strengthen at the back, they could have been very competitive, very quickly. On the balance of probability, that is less likely under Arteta (though by no means impossible). The risk is that Arteta takes two seasons to fully master the job, by which time the last few top-level years of Aubameyang, Özil et al have been wasted. Cue another rebuild, which might be a better time for Arteta to come in and start anew.

Keeping up appearances

Arsenal's status in European football is not quite diminished, but consecutive seasons in the Europa League does make the badge seem smaller. Results and performances on the grass should be the only thing that counts, but it is increasingly important for clubs to manage 'perception'.

Manchester United in the post-Ferguson years have been particularly committed to 'keeping up appearances', lavishing money on high-profile, marketable players and hiring Jose Mourinho. If they were no longer winning titles, United made damn sure they won the PR war and stayed at the top of the news cycle.

Concerns about Arteta's CV aside, there is a theory that Arsenal need a similar shot in the arm. If you cannot play in the Champions League, a high profile appointment can give the outward appearance that you are still operating at the highest level, or at least striving to do so. Hiring Arteta will feel a little small-time to some fans. The argument is flimsy because results are the only measure, but the feeling Arsenal have 'settled' could linger.

Too close to the old regime

Arteta only cleared his locker at London Colney in 2016, and as the preferred candidate of chief executive Ivan Gazidis he will be viewed as a 'club man'. Critics charged that Arsenal was too comfortable an environment under Wenger, with a lack of consequences for underperformance and no accountability. There will be scepticism about Arteta's ability to tackle this culture and raise standards. Gazidis spoke of the need to preserve Arsenal's values, and the appointment of Arteta is consistent with that, but some will argue that the values themselves need to change.

Divisions remain

Making decisions to appease fans will prove a ruinous philosophy at any club, but Arsenal will be fully aware of the need to unite supporters after a fractious period. At the very least, they will want to avoid a corrosive appointment that aggravates pre-existing gripes. One should not mistake some of the loudest voices on Twitter as representative of the 60,000 at the Emirates, but appointing Arteta will divide opinion. A quick scan of the digitally active corner of the fan-base shows that many of the most vociferous anti-Wenger voices are also hostile to Arteta.

However, if Arsenal win their first 10 matches of the next season such discord will ease and Arteta's name will be sung with vigour. It was ever thus.

IslingtonBornandbred

Who said anything about their talent? I mentioned their status as a legend here. For me, Hleb and Diaby played for Arsenal Football Club but they're no legends for the club. The majority of the players that turned up were during Arséne Wenger most successful period at Arsenal.

There's a big difference, Vieira was managing a football club that's on a whole different scale to working on television. I'm sure if he asked them they wouldn't have refused due to the circumstances of it being Arséne Wenger's farewell.

Fair enough. I could understand if somebody doesn't want Henry at Arsenal because they don't think he's experienced enough or dislike his personality, I just disagreed with the remark that he should have nothing to do with Arsenal because he didn't attend Wenger's farewell game.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

He was also one of the first ditchers....first in the long line of players using us as a stepping stone....unlike Giroud, Per, Arteta, Koscielny, Santi
Hleb regretted it but I still can't forgive him for how he snaked us.
He was one of the my favourite players at the time. The man had the ball glued to his foot and he could dribble at a fast pace too. It's a shame the way his career fell apart after he left us.

IslingtonBornandbred

You do realise Henry gave most of his best years to us and left us when the club couldn't invest anymore and was going on a downward trajectory? He left to join Barca and won the Champions League.

There is a big difference to a player like Henry moving to Barca and the others you have listed. He left aged 29 because he felt the club couldn't compete anymore on the big stage and he wanted a Champions League, most of the others you listed arrived because of that same downward trajectory that meant Henry left.

Last edited:

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
This team can absolutely achieve 75-78 points. Heck Wenger did it just the other season.

Top 4 is the minimum target.

Seriously it’s bizarre how some are trying to lower expectation.

If Wenger was still here next season most would have expected top4/cl football, anything less would have been seen as a failure. Even top 4 wouldn’t have pleased everyone if we didn’t have a proper title challenge/win something. This is someone people here has described as past it/dinosaur, doesn’t do tactics, doesn’t do anything in training, doesn’t know how to set up a defence, makes players worse to a point you can’t judge them until you see them under a new manager. Going by that, you should see a massive improvement instantly if we hire a competent manager, so how can the expectations for the new manager be lower?

This squad right now without improvements is the strongest it’s been in a long time, top 4 has to be the minimum target. If we get 75+ points and fail, that’s one thing, but a similar season to this one would be a complete failure and unacceptable.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
Hleb regretted it but I still can't forgive him for how he snaked us.
He was one of the my favourite players at the time. The man had the ball glued to his foot and he could dribble at a fast pace too. It's a shame the way his career fell apart after he left us.

The poor guy had to play in Birmingham. A destroyed career.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Irrelevant what United did. For starters they hired a dud in Moyes, that's why it failed.
It's not irrelevant, they're only other team comparable when it comes to replacing a manager who's been in the job two decades. It makes sense to look at where they went wrong, to avoid making the same mistakes.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
But we have put substance over style. Wengerball has been dead for a good 2-3 seasons, if not more.

We started playing **** football and won 3 FA cups, shame it was still **** so it reflected on our past two league standings.

Not sure I agree there, last few years has been Wengerball in the purest sense, thats why it has failed miserably imo.
Pass sideways in front of the other teams 10 outfield players whilst they wait to hit us on the break or nick a goal on the corner.
I would suggest we have got to the very pinnacle of Wengerball, he did choose to play this way after all and ignore all sorts of reasonable advice to give it up and try something different.
Style has been very much prioritised over substance for a long time at Arsenal football club. Some people may like this, kudos to them. I dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom