• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Nope, doesn't carry over in it's entirety, it seems.

As others pointed the 70 million Swiss Ramble posted as a quick estimate probably include wages for the new players. Added fact is that we've got to account for Özil's new contract, as well as the wages of Mhki and Aubameyang, as well as the latter's transfer fee.

It's business as usual, one big fee (e.g. Laca), plus whatever it is we can bring after sales and the odd opportunity signing.

Keep in mind that we also have Ramsey's and possibly Jack's renewal coming up.

Would estimate 400-500k a week in wages has departed the club this season with all the players that have left (Not including Sanchez, whose weekly wage would most likely just be a straight swap with mkhitaryan). You'd like to think that amount would more than cover the Özil rise and the addition of Auba.

say yes

forum master baiter
Just by looking at our recent history through the transfer windows, a 50 M transfer budget is the most likely scenario. You have a lot to go by when you speculate about the transfer matter.

The other case, nobody has anything to go by but the most believable scenario is that Wenger decided to step down!

Can’t be arsed to get into the whole was he pushed / jumped discussion again. Think it was clear from the off what had happened and arseblog / Auclair substantiating what every other journalist has already said only furthers that.

Just making the broader point about consistency. A healthy dose of skepticism is always positive but there’s an annoying trend on here (and the world in general) of people picking and choosing the news depending on their personal opinion.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
How can you not have heard of Caglar Soyuncu before.

Bet he doesn't even live in Shoreditch, either.
You made some excellent points and I agree there is a lot to be done. Having said that, I can't see a top manager like Allegri (as much I think he would be a great choice) leaving a dominant team like Juve to come to Arsenal & start a rebuilding project with a meagre budget of 50 M (compared to the Manchester clubs, CFC or even Pool) and (probably) not playing in CL.
Simeone and Jardim are out of the picture, they don't speak a word of english. The rest of the "old"names are not that enticing (Ancelotti, Enrique, Benitez etc). Let's be realistic, we are not going to compete next for the PL with that current squad and a limited budget, whoever the manager is. Allegri is great but not a magician!
That is why I would support Arteta. He knows the club, is well respected, has a great football mind and has done, by all accounts, a great job at City under Pep. I would rather go with that risky but bold appointment at this stage and start the rebuilding project.
So if Allegri is not an option, I would go the other A route.

I'm coming round to the idea of Arteta for some reason...is it the hair? It might be the hair.

But also Arsenal has a history of innovation and forward thinking. The club has historically succeeded when it has been ahead of the curve, not just following it. I'd be open to an Arteta, Nagelsmann or Howe (personally don't understand the derision Howe gets). No other big club in England would go for them, maybe sometimes doing the thing that no one else would do is what enables you to do something different and exceed expectations.

I do think though that we need someone who'll have some breathing space with the fans. Enrique for example I don't think would have that. My gut says the moment things go wrong it would turn sour quite quickly with him. Not to mention Rodgers, who'd be fighting an uphill battle from the start.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Martinez, Cech/Ospina, Jenkinson, Mustafi, Holding/Chambers, Kolasinac, Campbell, Asano, Akpom, Lucas, Welbeck.

Wilshere, Cazorla and Mertesacker leaving too.

Agree with all of them other than the three CBs and maybe welbeck. Obviously if a CB is brought in then one of them can definitely go. If welbz has no intention of signing a new deal this summer I'd look to move him on.

Nice chunk of wages freed up with the three out of contract, and the bulk of the deadwood being moved on.

Can’t be arsed to get into the whole was he pushed / jumped discussion again. Think it was clear from the off what had happened and arseblog / Auclair substantiating what every other journalist has already said only furthers that.

Just making the broader point about consistency. A healthy dose of skepticism is always positive but there’s an annoying trend on here (and the world in general) of people picking and choosing the news depending on their personal opinion.

We have information on multiple past transfer windows to do 2+2=4.

We had no info on Wenger being sacked, forced out, given ultimatum, but of course the press gonna write that, that sells, that clicks. But it is obvious for me by now that Wenger decided to leave after he knew he couldn't do anymore to unite the fans. Also 2+2=4.

By the way, if there will be further quotes on this I will just keep replying the same! Sorry in advance bro!

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
It reminds me a little bit of Andre Villas Boas when he went to Chelsea. He was a young coach with a set idea of how he wanted to play. He decided the way he wanted his team to play which involved a high line and John Terry on the half way line. They were horribly exposed and it's because he was a young coach and wanted to stamp his style on the team.

I've got a feeling a more experienced guy is able to assess the situation a little better. I think Arteta will come in with this sort of dream mentality of how he wants the team to play, his own vision, and doesn't have the experience to adjust his vision for the type of players we have. He's going to want to show people he's Pep version 2 and prove himself and it might not be the right thing for the team.

I wouldn't be adverse to Arteta as an assistant or a coach, but I seriously couldn't see him becoming manager unless there is nobody else available.

That's a good point, but I'd bet that Arteta is no Andre Villas Boas. Arteta looks like he has much more about him, much more serious. AVB looked like he was managing because he liked wearing slick suits on the touchline. It was a fad for him, now he's a bloody rally driver or something. Typical aristocrat.

I do see your point though, working under Pep he's probably desperate to implement all these ideas he has. It could be that those ideas take precedent over the reality of our situation. But at the same time, we need someone with ideas.

Arteta is clearly the best fit!

Speaks the language, beautiful hair, knows the club and its values, good at training individuals, will promote youth, has experience in analyzing opponents. Etc...

We can hire some dinosaur after 5 years when all is settled!

say yes

forum master baiter
I really don’t think the next manager has that big of a rebuilding project on his hands.

Aubameyang, Lacazette, Özil, Mkhitaryan, Ramsey etc are some fantastic offensive options.

What we need is some solidity at the back, a fresh approach and a better mentality.

A lot of people scoffed at the time but look at how much a single top CB like Van Dijk has transformed Liverpool. They’ve got 6 CS in their last 11 league games, they kept City comfortably at bay in the CL.

It’s not just that he’s a good individual defender either. His presence has utterly transformed that team. Plug a top CB into the mix and suddenly their fullbacks looks class, suddenly their goalkeeper looks good, suddenly even Lovren looks competent.

Replace our clowns at the back with some top players and I’ve no doubt we’d see the same thing at Arsenal too.

I really don’t think the next manager has that big of a rebuilding project on his hands.

Aubameyang, Lacazette, Özil, Mkhitaryan, Ramsey etc are some fantastic offensive options.

What we need is some solidity at the back, a fresh approach and a better mentality.

A lot of people scoffed at the time but look at how much a single top CB like Van Dijk has transformed Liverpool. They’ve got 6 CS in their last 11 league games, they kept City comfortably at bay in the CL.

It’s not just that he’s a good individual defender either. His presence has utterly transformed that team. Plug a top CB into the mix and suddenly their fullbacks looks class, suddenly their goalkeeper looks good, suddenly even Lovren looks competent.

Replace our clowns at the back with some top players and I’ve no doubt we’d see the same thing at Arsenal too.

It still took Klopp and Guardiola a season to really put their mark on their teams. Might even take longer for us given it is world cup year, short transfer window, etc.

So while we do have quite decent squad, there will still be some work to bring in tactics that can compete with the best teams in the league!

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Harry Maguire.

JonBonBon

80M is nothing.

We need at least 2-3 new CB's, the current ones are all crap.

2 new CM's.

And a new GK.

We're ****ed.

You can't just buy 3 new CBs in one go and expect to have a solid defence. A good manager can potentially buy one CB and work with what he has in the current team.

I don't think a new GK is a priority this summer either. The fact is, the defensive side of the team is a mess, not necessarily due to individual inabilities, but more due to lack of organisation or seemingly any plan. There are mistakes being made in every game because at times, it looks as though the defensive game plan is being made up as the game goes along.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

Yeah and he cost 25M more than our reported budget by the reliable sources!:lol:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Hypothetically, if the 3 musketeers were keen on a young manager - who's the forums preference?

- Arteta
- Nagelsmann
- Tedesco
- Howe
- Vieira

Nagelsmann would be my first choice from that group. Tedesco would be second, Vieira third. I only add Vieira because he has some managerial experience and enough legendary status at the club that he might be given more time than an Eddie Howe, who (while stylistically different) is a mid-table manager who screams Moyes to United to me. I think Arteta could be a fine manager someday, but I don't like the idea of hiring a managerial virgin. If Arsenal were sitting in second place and had been in the Champions League this year, I could see handing Arteta a club that was ready to win and make success easy. But there's too much to be done. Someone with experience would be better.

How to fix the defense. Start with a test that ask if the players know they are playing football.

New manager : "Why are you here?"

Koscielny : "I'm learning"
Holding : "Did J. Terry really sleep with all these womens?"
Chambers : "Do I really look like wax melted figure of Ryan Gosling?"
Mertesacker : "Because they offered me a job after my career is over"
Mustafi : "Who can answer this question for me? What the ****? Difficult question..."

Yeah we need at least 3 new CBs.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The papers and common sense. 2+2=4.
When I look at the spending of sides at a similar size to us, see Chmapionship clubs spending close to 20M on players and then see that we have a positive net spend over the last two years I just refuse to believe we have a 50M budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

"Maybe we'll have a good surprise for you"

Arsène hints at transfer activity a day before the arrival of Mesut Özil
Top Bottom