• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Loïc Perrin

Toast

Established Member
St. Etienne President said:
“For the moment, there is no contract with Arsenal for Loïc Perrin. We have very good relations with Arsène Wenger and I think that if he was interested in him (Perrin), he would have spoken to us about it.”

<a class="postlink" href="http://soccerlens.com/loic-perrin-no-contract-with-arsenal/159490/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccerlens.com/loic-perrin-no-co ... al/159490/</a>

GDeep™

League is very weak
You question our spending capability if we're signing 30 year olds from Ligue 1. He might be a decent player, and I remember him being hyped as a youngster, but we need more than decent now.

Iceman10

Established Member
Doubt very much we will sign him. He is probably on a long list of players under consideration, being scouted and whatnot, but way down the list.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Whoscored rate him as 9th in their ligue 1 player ratings. Very good defensive stats.

Cheap, available, under the radar/underrated and able to perform at a high level. So possible.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Just cause he is at Ettiene at age 29 doesnt mean he is average.
I read a lot about him deserve to be in world cup squad, not only cause he is good player, but also cause of his leadership and experience. Mangala got to call, and still many said there was no way he should in front of Loic.

When everyone are fit, Per and Kos will start for years to come, we need to find someone to be perfect fit for both. Since Per and Kos are very different players, I believe only experienced player can be a perfect fit for both, with young 4th choice like Chambers, and even Mings who could cover lb spot

GOONER1991

Established Member
I always feel very split on players like this. I don't know anything about him to be able to judge his quality, but I automatically assume that as he's 29 and playing for St.Ettiene, he can't really be anything special.

Then I remember that Wenger was the one that plucked Koscielny from ambiguity in the French Leagues, and that he was playing Ligue 2 for much of his career. Now I'm sure he's one of the best in the league (when bloody fit!).

BobP

Memri Fan
Wenger knows the French league very well.

All I know about Perrin is that he's incredibly versatile, with him you'd have the entirety of your defense and central midfield covered.

Mastadon

Established Member
Never heard of him but reminds me of Squillaci for some reason. I'm sure Squid had a higher profile at the time.

GOONER1991

Established Member
Mastadon said:
Never heard of him but reminds me of Squillaci for some reason. I'm sure Squid had a higher profile at the time.

I remember when Squillaci came, I was really quite optimistic about him. He was advertised as being a old fashioned central defender. No frills, but will put his head on everything and did the basics right.

How wrong that was.

BobP

Memri Fan
I just don't get it sometimes, you'll have defenders who have been impressive for a significant chunk of their career and then they'll make a move and it just all crumbles, Cygan and Squillaci IIRC were good defenders prior to their arrival at the club and it just went to absolute **** to the point where they looked like completely incompetent Sunday league footballers

Iceman10

Established Member
BobP, I could be wrong because I don't have a crystal clear memory of when Cygan and Squillaci were at the club but one thing I would suggest is that what you have observed is a by-product of not rotating enough and therefore largely keeping such players as backup until emergency needs arise, which is not exactly the best thing for building confidence. SAF was a good example of someone that ensured bench players were given a good number of starts at Old Trafford to give them match time and confidence to be ready for when they were really needed.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Maybe it's partly the mentality of changing to a team that defends less so you aren't constantly defending and you are employing a high line.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Didn't Squillaci get exposed in a big tournament for France before we signed him? He was always going to be an old head who would help us out, but it didn't work out like that.

Then you had Vermaelen, the red flags were going when Ajax fans were happy to see him leave.

It's about levels, but these are the risks you must take on a limited budget.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

ArsenesNO1Fan said:
Maybe it's partly the mentality of changing to a team that defends less so you aren't constantly defending and you are employing a high line.
If in reference to Van Dijk Celtic play with a high line they dominate games the way we do every week as teams pack 11 men behind the ball and try to hit on the break.

I think we have to be realistic we aren't signing an instant first choice Cb otherwise I'd be all over Pepe never mind anyone else as he is a monster and experienced and instant first choice material but we aren't signing him or Hummels or someone in that bracket.

We will sign the player that is good now, could get and should get better, is comfortable being third choice short term yet capable of breaking into or pushing the other two and within that the player who represents the best overall financial package. For the outlay of 10m Van Dijk ticks all those boxes for 5m Reid ticks the boxes though he is 3 years older and may be closer to his ceiling than Van Dijk. It will be a combination of the above factors that determines who we get.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
bingobob said:
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
If in reference to Van Dijk Celtic play with a high line they dominate games the way we do every week as teams pack 11 men behind the ball and try to hit on the break.

I think we have to be realistic we aren't signing an instant first choice Cb otherwise I'd be all over Pepe never mind anyone else as he is a monster and experienced and instant first choice material but we aren't signing him or Hummels or someone in that bracket.

We will sign the player that is good now, could get and should get better, is comfortable being third choice short term yet capable of breaking into or pushing the other two and within that the player who represents the best overall financial package. For the outlay of 10m Van Dijk ticks all those boxes for 5m Reid ticks the boxes though he is 3 years older and may be closer to his ceiling than Van Dijk. It will be a combination of the above factors that determines who we get.

The problem is Celtic's level is way below even the Championship. I'd rather get a ligue 1 or BL player in theory. Unless our scouts really rate him. I wanted Wanyama before he left Celtic.

blaze_of_glory

Apparently claiming we've been in contact.

Sam@samuelJayC Loïc Perrin says he has been contacted personally by Arsenal & that Wenger is interested in him. #afc pic.twitter.com/q6PNDBYuFQ

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/samuelJayC/status/551844729948999680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/samuelJayC/status/5 ... 9948999680</a>

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

:lol: I knew it. Don't know why I allowed myself to believe we were signing a Galactico.

GDeep™

League is very weak
" I was contacted personally , said the 29-year player in the mixed zone . Arsenal is interested. But for now , there is still no contact with Saint- Etienne. "

So we tapped him up, next stage will be to make an offer to his club.

Not the most exciting of links.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom