• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira (Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslayer

Forza Milan
Just a comment on Reddit I found from a Sampdoria fan:

Do you think he will compliment Xhaka?

'Yes and no. He's not a defensive mid like people who haven't watched him play like to say here, he's a deep-lying playmaker that can still win the ball and will track back, but don't rely on him being a rock; he is, however incredibly creative and can find passes for the strikers like few others can, and he also bombs forward to help the front three and get his share of goals. A front 6 of Torreira-Xhaka-Özil behind Mkhi-Lacazette-Aubameyang is a recipe for goals. But it can also be a liability defensively.

I say 'yes and no' because Xhaka, although he is bigger and stronger, is also not an out-and-out DM, and is also very much a central creator. The only thing that worries me about Arsenal next season is that against more aggressive and pressing opposing midfields - Man City, Tottenham, the like - Xhaka and Torreira might get run over. Torreira was never the guy we relied on to hold the midfield against more aggressive opposition - that's why we had Edgar Barreto.

Arsenal will have three very good deep playmaking central mids (Torreira, Xhaka, and Ramsey; add Wilshere (if he re-signs), but the lack of a proper "defender" there - a Kante, or someone of the sort - might be an issue. That is, unlessEmery makes Xhaka into a more defensive player and gives Torreira the freedom to move and create.

A comparison to Torreira's style of play that you'd understand is 2013 Cazorla. Basically a phenomenal player, but not someone you'd want by himself on the middle of the pitch. Cazorla had Coquelin, and they complimented each other perfectly, while Torreira and Xhaka might not be the perfect pair, though I still expect them to succeed.

Playing Torreira and Ramsey together is probably only advisable against the lest threatening opposition, considering both's propensity to bomb forward and leave gaps behind. Either that or Emery instills more tactical rigidity into the squad.'

Good stuff from the Sampdoria fan who cares how Jack's name is spelt and knows how well Cazorla and Coq worked together in 2013.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are

He's not a defensive mid like people who haven't watched him play like to say here.
Playing Torreira and Ramsey together is probably only advisable against the lest threatening opposition, considering both's propensity to bomb forward and leave gaps behind.

From Kante with better technique to the Uruguayan Ramsey in one post :lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Initial thoughts.

Super tenacious, guy literally goes in for the tackle with everything he has, he’s gonna love the PL. Seems to have good enough ball control and his low centre of gravity and good use of his body leads to a lot of free kicks.

While Cazorla was press resistant due to gliding past players I think Torreria is more likely to draw fouls.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Very happy with this if it goes through, at a great price too. Top level signing. As for the defensive worries, if we don't get someone more defensive, it probably means that we could go for a disciplined 4-2-3-1, where the two midfielders share defensive responsibility and defend through proper positioning rather than pure destroyer skills. A Xhaka-Torreira partnership could do that, one being very mobile, the other very physical, and they would offer incredible playmaking from deep.

Don't forget that this isn't a Wenger team anymore!

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Fantastic signing!! He's always impressed whenever I watched Sampdoria.

I'm beside myself with joy, can't believe a decade after Gilberto Silva left we've finally signed a defensive midfielder.

The Emery era, though in its infancy, keeps goinh from strength to strength :bounce:

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
I'm not one to tell a 'fan' of another club what their player is like but Torreira has better stats than most DMs in Europe. He has won the most tackles and interceptions in Serie A since 2016/17. Looking at the comparison below, anything he doesn't come first in he tends to be close behind in second. He may not be as defensively minded as Kante but that Sampdoria 'fan' saying he is like Cazorla is bizarre. Also, Fabinho doesn't come off great in this comparison but i suppose it's not all about stats.

gLkbY4h.png

Last edited:

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
I'm not one to tell a 'fan' of another club what their player is like but Torreira has better stats than most DMs in Europe. He has the won the most tackles and interceptions in Serie A since 2016/17. Looking at the comparison below, anything he doesn't come first in he tends to be close behind in second. He may not be as defensively minded as Kante but that Sampdoria 'fan' saying he is like Cazorla is bizarre. Also, Fabinho doesn't come off great in this comparison but i suppose it's not all about stats.

gLkbY4h.png
He's nothing like Cazorla, or even Xhaka in playstyle, he's a lot more defensive than both.

I don't know why, but some Arsenal fans love to pretend to be fans of other clubs and play down the players we've bought. It's bizarre really.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Do you think he will compliment Xhaka?

'Yes and no. He's not a defensive mid like people who haven't watched him play like to say here, he's a deep-lying playmaker that can still win the ball and will track back, but don't rely on him being a rock; he is, however incredibly creative and can find passes for the strikers like few others can, and he also bombs forward to help the front three and get his share of goals. A front 6 of Torreira-Xhaka-Özil behind Mkhi-Lacazette-Aubameyang is a recipe for goals. But it can also be a liability defensively.

I say 'yes and no' because Xhaka, although he is bigger and stronger, is also not an out-and-out DM, and is also very much a central creator. The only thing that worries me about Arsenal next season is that against more aggressive and pressing opposing midfields - Man City, Tottenham, the like - Xhaka and Torreira might get run over. Torreira was never the guy we relied on to hold the midfield against more aggressive opposition - that's why we had Edgar Barreto.

Arsenal will have three very good deep playmaking central mids (Torreira, Xhaka, and Ramsey; add Wilshere (not Wilshere ffs) if he re-signs), but the lack of a proper "defender" there - a Kante, or someone of the sort - might be an issue. That is, unlessEmery makes Xhaka into a more defensive player and gives Torreira the freedom to move and create.

A comparison to Torreira's style of play that you'd understand is 2013 Cazorla. Basically a phenomenal player, but not someone you'd want by himself on the middle of the pitch. Cazorla had Coquelin, and they complimented each other perfectly, while Torreira and Xhaka might not be the perfect pair, though I still expect them to succeed.

Playing Torreira and Ramsey together is probably only advisable against the lest threatening opposition, considering both's propensity to bomb forward and leave gaps behind. Either that or Emery instills more tactical rigidity into the squad.'
I’ve watched some full game compilations and this doesn’t seem right...

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I still don't get why we'd pay more than the release clause. Could someone explain this to me? The Guardian article notes that we do it to beat Napoli, but wouldn't Sampdoria have to accept both offers if both clubs offer €25m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom