• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira (Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Gerrard played as a 2nd striker in that system .

I know where Gerrard played in that system. You could call it second striker or AM, but he played behind Torres and in front of Alonso and Mascherano.

PEA will be our CF, and Ramsey would play behind him. Considering how often Ramsey scores goals via late runs into the box and where he plays for Wales, you could describe him as a "second striker" too.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I know where Gerrard played in that system. You could call it second striker or AM, but he played behind Torres and in front of Alonso and Mascherano.

PEA will be our CF, and Ramsey would play behind him. Considering how often Ramsey scores goals via late runs into the box and where he plays for Wales, you could describe him as a "second striker" too.

Gerrard virtually played in the hole . We have played Ramsey behind the striker , it just doesn't work . Technically he's not adept at it and frankly it's a waste of his engine . He's great at making late runs from midfield but not very good if he's the one connecting the attack and midfield .

Wryer

With AMN recontracted and Torreira seemingly close, it does seem Emery is looking for a high energy midfield. Add his supposed admiration of Ramsey and it does plausible.

I can't wait to see the new look team.

Along with Fellaini.

What have I done.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
So happy with this signing!!!! Wishlisted him and have praised him in the thread! Honestly thought Napoli would get him as if felt too good to be true but welcome Lucas!

People who are already picturing a hybrid Santi/Coq should stop as this will lead to disapointment. He has strengths that can be attributed to both yes, however he doesn't have Santis technique on the ball nor does he have the same tackling tenacity of Coq during that season. He is more like Verrati

To be fair, no one has that brilliance like Santi on the ball :drool:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Gerrard virtually played in the hole . We have played Ramsey behind the striker , it just doesn't work . Technically he's not adept at it and frankly it's a waste of his engine . He's great at making late runs from midfield but not very good if he's the one connecting the attack and midfield .

By the way - what about Iwobi ?

I like Xhaka, I really like Ramsey, I love AMN and I now love Torreira too, but Iwobi has incredible potential as CM.

I was going along last season to drop him because there was too much without purpose in his runs but he has also shown what a special talent he is, if he is used in the right manner.

He should at least get enough minutes there and I think Emery is said to be an admirer anyways.

Triniboy

Anyone know the best way to post a squawka comparison matrix to the forum? EDIT : Would like to post one I just did of Torreira vs some other top 6 PL defensive midfielders.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

By the way - what about Iwobi ?

I like Xhaka, I really like Ramsey, I love AMN and I now love Torreira too, but Iwobi has incredible potential as CM.

I was going along last season to drop him because there was too much without purpose in his runs but he has also shown what a special talent he is, if he is used in the right manner.

He should at least get enough minutes there and I think Emery is said to be an admirer anyways.

Yeah agree , he can play a fair few positions too .

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Just a comment on Reddit I found from a Sampdoria fan:

Do you think he will compliment Xhaka?

'Yes and no. He's not a defensive mid like people who haven't watched him play like to say here, he's a deep-lying playmaker that can still win the ball and will track back, but don't rely on him being a rock; he is, however incredibly creative and can find passes for the strikers like few others can, and he also bombs forward to help the front three and get his share of goals. A front 6 of Torreira-Xhaka-Özil behind Mkhi-Lacazette-Aubameyang is a recipe for goals. But it can also be a liability defensively.

I say 'yes and no' because Xhaka, although he is bigger and stronger, is also not an out-and-out DM, and is also very much a central creator. The only thing that worries me about Arsenal next season is that against more aggressive and pressing opposing midfields - Man City, Tottenham, the like - Xhaka and Torreira might get run over. Torreira was never the guy we relied on to hold the midfield against more aggressive opposition - that's why we had Edgar Barreto.

Arsenal will have three very good deep playmaking central mids (Torreira, Xhaka, and Ramsey; add Wilshere if he re-signs), but the lack of a proper "defender" there - a Kante, or someone of the sort - might be an issue. That is, unlessEmery makes Xhaka into a more defensive player and gives Torreira the freedom to move and create.

A comparison to Torreira's style of play that you'd understand is 2013 Cazorla. Basically a phenomenal player, but not someone you'd want by himself on the middle of the pitch. Cazorla had Coquelin, and they complimented each other perfectly, while Torreira and Xhaka might not be the perfect pair, though I still expect them to succeed.

Playing Torreira and Ramsey together is probably only advisable against the lest threatening opposition, considering both's propensity to bomb forward and leave gaps behind. Either that or Emery instills more tactical rigidity into the squad.'

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐

'Yes and no. He's not a defensive mid like people who haven't watched him play like to say here, he's a deep-lying playmaker that can still win the ball and will track back, but don't rely on him being a rock; he is, however incredibly creative and can find passes for the strikers like few others can, and he also bombs forward to help the front three and get his share of goals. A front 6 of Torreira-Xhaka-Özil behind Mkhi-Lacazette-Aubameyang is a recipe for goals. But it can also be a liability defensively.

I say 'yes and no' because Xhaka, although he is bigger and stronger, is also not an out-and-out DM, and is also very much a central creator. The only thing that worries me about Arsenal next season is that against more aggressive and pressing opposing midfields - Man City, Tottenham, the like - Xhaka and Torreira might get run over. Torreira was never the guy we relied on to hold the midfield against more aggressive opposition - that's why we had Edgar Barreto.

Arsenal will have three very good deep playmaking central mids (Torreira, Xhaka, and Ramsey; add Wilshere (not Wilshere ffs) if he re-signs), but the lack of a proper "defender" there - a Kante, or someone of the sort - might be an issue. That is, unlessEmery makes Xhaka into a more defensive player and gives Torreira the freedom to move and create.

A comparison to Torreira's style of play that you'd understand is 2013 Cazorla. Basically a phenomenal player, but not someone you'd want by himself on the middle of the pitch. Cazorla had Coquelin, and they complimented each other perfectly, while Torreira and Xhaka might not be the perfect pair, though I still expect them to succeed.

Playing Torreira and Ramsey together is probably only advisable against the lest threatening opposition, considering both's propensity to bomb forward and leave gaps behind. Either that or Emery instills more tactical rigidity into the squad.'

Is this really a Sampdoria fan or a hipster pretending to be one? Reddit is full of those.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out

Arsenal will have three very good deep playmaking central mids (Torreira, Xhaka, and Ramsey; add Wilshere ( if he re-signs), but the lack of a proper "defender" there - a Kante, or someone of the sort - might be an issue. That is, unlessEmery makes Xhaka into a more defensive player and gives Torreira the freedom to move and create.

giphy.gif

FinnGooner

Established Member
Have never seen that dude in my life....Someone mentioned he is the new Kante, I just hope that he is worth the hype!

Despite some similarities, Torreira is quite different player than Kante. Both are small yet powerful midfielders who has a good ability to win the ball. However, the way Torreira plays with the ball is quite different and reminds me more of Wilshere than Kante. He is. Much more of a DLP type than a pure DM. I haven't seen him a ton but this was the impression I got of him from the few games I've seen and compilations only reinforce this impression. Techically he ticks all the boxes: good ball winner with very good passing ability and in addition can run past players with the ball. As a bonus, is good at set pieces. Questions remain about his positioning (no idea if good or bad or in between) and mentality (adjustment to the UK always a big question with South American players)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The only moment of possible happiness is the present. The past gives regrets. And future uncertainties. Man quickly realised this and created religion. It forgives him what he has done wrong in the past and tells him not to worry about the future, as you will go to paradise.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom