• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Merci Arsène

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
When we meet at a café on Rue Faidherbe in Paris, Arsène Wenger tells me that he played football in a charity match the day before. Oh yeah, were you any good? “I was very good,” he says in that deadpan manner that became so familiar even to casual fans during his 22-year tenure (1996-2018) as manager of Arsenal.

“I can say that because you didn’t see me play,” he adds, undercutting the boast. Even so, tall and trim, he cannot hide the pride he takes in his enduring physical fitness. “I’m 70. I can still play football, so that’s not too bad.” Especially when the other players included Laurent Blanc, Christian Karembeu and Bixente Lizarazu, all a generation younger and sharing almost 250 French caps between them. Did his team win? “Of course. 4-1.” Did he score? “No, I played centre back.”

As a pro himself, way back, Wenger was a midfielder. He had a decent career in the French lower leagues but played just a handful of games in Ligue 1 for Strasbourg, the club he supported as a boy growing up in Alsace. Later, required to juggle a football during the photoshoot, Wenger demonstrates his technical ability. Even in his pristine smart casuals, his control in a tight space is way above average. Many of the best coaches – Wenger, Sir Alex Ferguson, Jürgen Klopp – had good but not great playing careers. Pep Guardiola, who was world class on the pitch, is an exception. In a different way so is José Mourinho, who never played professionally.

By the age of 30, while still playing, Wenger had already started coaching. After spells at smaller clubs he made his name at Monaco, winning the title there before going to work in Japan. When he arrived at his near-namesake club in north London, the headlines asked variations on the question: “Arsène who?”

Nobody was asking that just two years later, when his club won the Premier League and FA Cup double. Wenger repeated the feat in 2002 and in 2004 won the title again, this time without losing a single game. Despite continued cup success in later years and an impressive 19 consecutive qualifications for the Champions League, reaching the final in 2006, Wenger lost the support of many fans and finally left his beloved club two years ago. It was, as he admits in his new autobiography, a “very lonely, very painful” separation. He has not been back to the Emirates, Arsenal’s stadium. Not yet anyway.

“I will go one day,” he says, sipping his mineral water. Has he been invited? “Yes. But I thought it was better to cut completely. It was difficult at the start, of course, after leading my club as long as I did. But I thought it’s better to follow from a distance.”

Which he does, avidly watching every game. I ask if he’d seen the recent England v Iceland international, an unconvincing 1-0 victory. Of course he saw it. This is a man who once told reporters he would celebrate a title by watching a recording of a game in the German second division, who writes in his book that, “A day without a football match seems empty to me.” His analysis of that England game? “It was bad. I’ve seen so many good players not doing well for England. They’re scared to play. Phil Foden is a guy with big quality, but at the moment he has not made it. He hasn’t played enough at Manchester City. You need about 100 games to know your job in the Premier League.”

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F466182de-0258-11eb-bce8-b17824147865.jpg

An his playing days at Strasbourg, around 1980
COURTESY OF ARSÈNE WENGER

Going back to his departure from Arsenal, he now has “no connection at all with the club”. I mention Sir Alex Ferguson who, after 26 years at Man Utd, was given a seat on the board. Why wasn’t he made a similar offer? “I don’t know. I always said I would still play a part in the club, but I could understand that at the start it’s better that we take a complete distance.” If asked, would he have accepted? “I would have done that, yes.”

The severance seems particularly ungrateful on Arsenal’s part, given Wenger became a lot more than a mere manager during his tenure. He was so careful with the club’s money that around the time of the move from Highbury to the Emirates, the bank insisted on his agreeing a new five-year contract before signing off on a loan, as if his presence was the best guarantor for the investment. The normal reward might well have been a directorship. “Yes, but I don’t expect anything,” he says. “I’m just doing my job. As long as I’m somewhere, I give my best. I’m happy having served the club and leaving them in good hands and in good shape. Overall,” he continues, “I did the job at three levels. To play with style and to win. To develop players. And to develop the club worldwide. The third level today is impossible. It’s not in your hands any more.”

Maybe Jürgen Klopp has that sort of power at Liverpool. Wenger is dismissive. “No, he is solely focused on the team. He doesn’t negotiate the transfers or build the stadium.” He hasn’t really stayed in touch with his contemporaries. “These people are all very busy. I’m not close enough to them… except [he pauses] Ferguson, yes.”

Does he have Fergie’s number in his phone? “I have Ferguson’s number, yes.” You’d know it was him calling? “Yeah, yeah.” You’re friends? “We have a lot of respect for each other now.” There was a period when you didn’t… “We had a period when it was very tough, very hot.” Throwing pizzas and all the rest of it? (This refers to an incident in the tunnel at Old Trafford in 2004, when Arsenal’s Cesc Fabregas chucked a pizza from the post-match buffet and it hit the United manager.) Wenger laughs. “After you’re not competing any more, everyone becomes a bit more objective.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F5c41e4ea-0258-11eb-bce8-b17824147865.jpg

Playing for Vauban against Nice, in the late Seventies
COURTESY OF ARSÈNE WENGER

“He [Ferguson] knows better wine than I do,” admits Wenger, growing nostalgic. “Ah, we had some good battles. He’s an intelligent man. You don’t make a career like this guy if you’re stupid.”

As for Pep Guardiola, the two are not in touch. But, “When Guardiola was still a player,” Wenger reveals, “he came to my home to ask to play for Arsenal. At the time I had Vieira. I had Gilberto Silva. I couldn’t take him.”

Living mainly in London, with homes in Paris and Zurich (where he has a role with Fifa as chief of global football development), Wenger remains an avid fan of the Premier League. “I follow every English game on television. It’s my league. We don’t need to come out from a special school to know Bayern Munich will win the championship in Germany, that Juventus will win it in Italy, that Paris St Germain will win it in France. England is still the most unpredictable league in Europe, even if last year was not a good year [with Liverpool winning by such a margin] and English teams didn’t do well in Europe.”

Mention of PSG prompts him to add, “I was offered that job a few times.” And indeed Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, the France national team. How about Man Utd? “Yes,” he says. When? “I don’t tell you that.” He smiles. “But I can tell you Man Utd offered me the job.” Please tell me when. “I don’t tell you that,” he repeats more firmly.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F0e5fee1c-0257-11eb-bce8-b17824147865.jpg

With Alex Ferguson of Manchester United at Highbury, 2004, and, below, scuffling with Chelsea manager José Mourinho, 2014
GETTY IMAGES
%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Feaa5ddf0-0257-11eb-bce8-b17824147865.jpg

GETTY IMAGES

The potential awkwardness is averted by the first of many passing fan requests for a picture. Wenger – or Monsieur Wenger as each supplicant respectfully calls him – is his usual impeccably polite and yet also slightly detached self each time. I feel bad now for calling you “Arsène”, I tell him afterwards. “That’s no problem at all,” he replies.

We go on to discuss his book. Did he write it himself? “Yes. With help. But it’s me.” It’s the first one he’s done, unusual in an age when players bring out their first memoir around the age of 24. “I’ve been asked to do it for many years. For me it was very difficult. First of all, I don’t like to talk too much about me. And second it was saying somewhere in my head, ‘I don’t manage any more. It’s the end of my experience.’ And I don’t like that. I didn’t want to sound like I’d retired. Then I thought, OK, I do it even if it’s only for my family [he separated from his wife, Annie, in 2015; they have one daughter, Léa, 23] so they would know one day what I did in my life.”

Does he want to manage a club again? “I’m not sure.” Because when he left Arsenal, he sounded certain that he did. “Yes. For 40 years I did only that every day in my life.” Two years on, he is enjoying having more time for himself. What’s he doing? “Making some sport. Visiting my family and friends. Holidays. Reading a lot. Enjoying life but in a sensible way, because I’m a little bit drilled by 30, 40 years of discipline, you know?”

I do know, having read in his book how he gets up at 5.30am and does an hour and a half in the gym, with extra cardio if possible. Most successful people, I say, are disciplined, but you’re… “Super-disciplined?” he suggests. I tell him I was going to say “fanatical”. Is that fair? “Fanatical, yes.” Most of us, including the famous, would recoil from the description. But Wenger chuckles, clearly relishing it. His early start comes after just five or six hours’ sleep. His energy is prodigious. During lockdown, which he spent in Totteridge, the north London suburb he calls home, he ran “8-10k a day”.

Part of that stamina comes from a rural upbringing, roaming the fields around the village in Alsace where his parents ran a bar. He grew up speaking the Alsatian dialect and French and learnt German at school. Football dominated the bar and the village. But back then, the French professional game lacking the depth and structure long established in neighbouring countries, Wenger could not even dream of his future career. “I’d never seen a coach until I was 19. It is the surprise of my life to spend it in football.”

The other great influence on the young Wenger was the church. “I still have religious morality,” he says. “I still like to go to church. It’s a place where you can concentrate. I watch Mass on television sometimes, but I cannot say I am a practising Catholic. God has a huge strength: you cannot prove that he doesn’t exist. On the other hand you cannot prove he exists. Religion has been created from us. It is a way to be happy in life. God forgives you for your sins; in the future we go to paradise. We can focus on the present.”

When he first arrived in the UK, Wenger cut an unusual figure on the touchline. Dapper, ascetic, erudite, he was nicknamed the Professor by the initially sceptical old hands at Arsenal. Back in the days when neither foreign managers nor foreign players, with their more sophisticated ways, were the norm, Wenger looked suspiciously posh in the context of England’s doggedly proletarian culture. And in a way he was. He relates in his book, for instance, how when he first met Arsenal’s vice-chairman at the time, David Dein, he ended up acting out A Midsummer Night’s Dream in a game of charades at Dein’s house. Hard to imagine Big Sam Allardyce in a similar role.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F978395b8-0257-11eb-bce8-b17824147865.jpg

Arsène Wenger with his ex-wife, Annie, and daughter, Léa, 2005
COURTESY OF Arsène WENGER

Back in 1996, Wenger’s insistence on the importance of concepts such as correct nutrition, radically reduced alcohol intake, regular sleep, stretching, mental preparation and resilience of character were met with scepticism. “We want our Mars bars,” his squad would sing on the team bus. Then they started winning, and his rivals decided these newfangled notions of “invisible training” might have some merit and promptly copied them.

Ironically, all the time Wenger was trying to persuade Tony Adams, Paul Merson and co to swap booze for broccoli, he was hiding an unhealthy habit of his own: he smoked.

“Yes, for a long time I smoked. My father smoked 40 a day. I grew up in a bar full of smoke. In France, smoking is normal.” Even so, he didn’t start until he was 34. “A friend of mine was a heavy smoker. We’d sit up at night talking and I’d take one, you know? I still smoked when I came to England, one or two after dinner, no more.” Did the players know? “I don’t think so. I never smoked with the team. Nobody has ever seen me smoking.” He has long since stopped – “My daughter complaining, you know?” – but still enjoys a drink. “Good red wine, not much.”

We move on to politics, in which he takes a keen interest. Rather confusingly, he says, “I am new liberal right. I’m for freedom but certain things – health, defence – have to be controlled by the government. I like Macron. He is centre. It’s very difficult to satisfy people in France. It’s difficult to govern.”

Yes, I say. Every time the government tries to change anything there’s a strike or a riot. Wenger shrugs. “I feel sorry for Macron, because he tries very hard.” He thinks the French commitment to short hours, long lunches, generous welfare, heavily subsidised agriculture and quite staggering bureaucracy is unsustainable. “It’s like in a family,” he says, presumably unconsciously channelling Margaret Thatcher. “It’s OK as long as you can balance your budget. Until you have to pay. Then it’s not OK. With the debt we have now, we cannot continue like that. Because the next generations will have to pay back. It’s not a fair way.” He thinks the German commitment to balanced budgets is the example to follow. “We behave like we want more and more no matter whether we balance our budget or not. Similarly in football.”

And what of his adopted country? “I love England. I feel sorry for England [he says that rather than Britain] because I am scared that they will suffer now [after Brexit]. You’re in a very weak position to negotiate. England has made the choice for passion and the desire for sovereignty. I can understand that, but unfortunately it was not a rational decision. I’m scared that they pay for that. Europe will have to make it hard for them or everybody will want to leave. They have no choice. I know [Michel] Barnier. He said from the first day they will be tough on England.” The irony of Brexit as regards football is, he says, “You want sovereignty, but all the English clubs are run by people who are not English.”

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fd0387096-0256-11eb-bce8-b17824147865.jpg

Arsenal fans call for a change of manager, March 2017 and, below, his final game, against Burnley at the Emirates, May 2018
GETTY IMAGES
%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fdffa5512-0256-11eb-bce8-b17824147865.jpg

GETTY IMAGES

There’s a sense Wenger is getting over the pain of enforced separation from the club where he “knitted my soul in red and white”, as he puts it in his book. He likes his role with Fifa. “I can share what I’ve learnt in my life and hopefully be efficient in what I share,” he says. The first year was tough for other reasons too. “I lost my brother and my sister in six months. My sister had Alzheimer’s. She was not well for ten years. My brother died quite quickly.” Their loss has made him value time spent with his daughter all the more, visiting her frequently in Cambridge, where she is a research student in neuroscience.

“I would have respected my contract,” he says, looking back on his Emirates exit. “The club thought it was better I stopped. I’d always lived with the idea that could happen. The supporters were not happy any more. Some of them. You can understand that, at some stage, 22 years, people want a change.” I tell him I’d interviewed Tony Blair shortly before he stepped down in 2007, how he’d said that after ten years, people are sick of your face. “Ah, so I punished them for 12 years?” he jokes.

Does he now think he might have stayed too long? He pauses for quite a while. “Listening to that question,” he replies, “makes me think, ‘Yes.’ ” Well, that’s the consensus, isn’t it? “Maybe I stayed too long,” he admits. “I don’t know. But I was committed like on the first day. I think I guided the club through the most difficult period in a very successful way. At some stage people say you’re too old, but they don’t really look at what you do. I served the club as much as I could.”

And served it to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. “I rejected those around me,” he writes. “I did not see beauty or pleasure or relaxation.” Infamously, he did not see any on-field skulduggery by his players either. When issuing his mantra in post-match interviews that he didn’t see the sending off or penalty appeal, he now admits, “Sometimes it wasn’t true. I’m a bad loser, yes. If you’re a good loser, you don’t last a long time in this job. That’s something I had from birth. I’m still like it. If I play cards, I want to win. You know what they say,” he adds, tapping me on the arm (he is surprisingly tactile). “Women can kill for love and men because they hate to lose.”

Maybe I stayed too long. But I was committed like on the first day

His obsession was the reason he didn’t become a father until he was 48. “I think basically this is a job for single people. I always cherish freedom. I had girlfriends, but my priority was always football. I liked the idea to take my luggage and go anywhere in the world tomorrow. At Cannes I lived over the Bay of Villefranche; when I was in Japan [in Nagoya, not a natural beauty spot] I had a view of a wall, but I always say if I won the game it was a great view and I was happy. If happiness is liking the life one lives, I can say I have been happy, and still am.”

Wrapping up our conversation, we deal with a few miscellaneous topics. He thinks Arsenal’s latest manager, his former player and Guardiola protégé Mikel Arteta, has “got the grip back on the team. They finished well, though they had a bad Premier League. Fifty-six points!” He thinks England’s national team are looking good for the Euros next year, bestowing the ultimate seal of approval on the manager in saying, “Southgate analyses well.” He thinks the pandemic will have no long-term deflationary effect on transfer fees, wages or the relentlessly spiralling hype around the game. “As soon as it is over, football will become mad again.” He worries, however, that, “The lower leagues will die unless the elite clubs help out.”

And he also thinks that without fans, football “loses its charm. We can take the fans for granted, but they are the only thing that hasn’t changed. The players, the game, the clubs, the stadiums all change. The fans don’t. When you arrived at Highbury, on Avenell Road, you got out of the bus, you shared it with the fans. At the Emirates, you are inside, all the security, it’s not the same.”

The grand old stadium was redeveloped as flats after the club moved. Wenger seriously considered buying one. As it is, he volunteers just before we part, “I drive sometimes through Highbury. The entrance is still there, the gates are listed…”

And what does he feel? “I feel nostalgia,” he replies. “We had good times there.”
ICYMI @Makingtrax
Cheers bro, missed this. Much appreciated.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
So you don't have to give GFFN clicks:
Speaking in an exclusive interview with L’Équipe ahead of the release of his autobiography, titled “My Life in Red & White,” available in all stores and online from 13th October, Arsène Wenger touched on a myriad of topics – here for you in English.

What affect did it have on you, to put out words on your life as a manager, and your life?

At the beginning, it was boring, frustrating, because the past was all muddled in my head. When you are a manager, you are always looking to the future, you don’t look back much. Here, I had to make an effort to look at what happened in my life. And that, that is denying your future. It was not easy, mentally. At the beginning, I did not really see the interest in retelling my life. But it became more and more difficult to say no, and I was in a period where I was not incredibly busy either. So I did it at the very least for my family. I said to myself one day, someone will ask themselves: what did this old guy do?

You describe your Alsace upbringing without football managers and without tractors…

I suffered more from the absence of a tractor than from the absence of a manager! With hindsight, it is difficult to imagine not having a manager until the age of 19 and then end up spending your life in football. In any case, that is truly what happened. I played in my village. For a long time, there was no lighting, so I could not train in the evening. We played on Sunday, after Mass.

You have an attachment to your birthplace, but you wanted to leave as quickly as possible?

I often think about that. My brother had the same upbringing and did not leave. Was it inside me? I was curious. There is something that I do not touch on in the book: at 25, I left with a friend to Hungary to see how the communism bloc worked, and I came back with the idea that it was going to collapse. I had the idea to discover the world and I still ask myself the question today, when we are faced with cultural differences that some find difficult to live with: in a football team, racism has never been a problem, nor have cultural differences been a problem. Yet in real life, cultural differences, in the long time, will be much more difficult to fight against than racism.

With hindsight, what did you have that others didn’t to have this life?

I do not think that I had something more. I had the good fortune to be passionate and to meet people who believed in me at different stages of my life. But I also had real passion, which still exists today. When I get up in morning and there is a good match to watch in the evening, it is not the same sort of day for me.

In an interview, you said that young footballers, to convince, you had to say you were a student (of the game), but that today, you have to say the opposite…

A sportsperson, when I was young, was thought to be intellectually limited. We succeeded in achieving a miracle, placing intellectuals into sport, so well that they no longer know if we are idiots or not (smiles). Me, I was nicknamed “The Professor” because I had glasses, but a manager, by definition, is not a pure intellectual: you have to have clear ideas, but above all, transmit those to your players, that he shows them, that he convinces them. Ideas are not enough.

Why are you no longer a manager?

Because, somewhere, I did my job in a unique way that no longer exists in the world. In England, it was difficult for me to go elsewhere, I refused. And at the same time, I was 70, and I was asking myself if I wasn’t entering into one fight too many. Besides, I was made to feel it sometimes. I sort of had the example of Guy Roux in front of me, who left Auxerre after staying for a long time (in 2005, after 44 years at the club), and he was not happy (at Lens).

Guy Roux, in fact, once said that the energy of a manager is a kind of like libido, and that when it drops, you have to stop…

I was not yet at that stage, even if sometimes you don’t realise it. The things that a manager can no longer do, he no longer needs to do, today. There are so many assistants! You can always convince yourself that you compensate for diminishing physical strength with a better anticipation of the problems. You really need physical strength to do this job, yes, but that is not the main reason: I never took a break, and after 36 years straight on the touchline, I needed to think. It is obviously this unique relationship with Arsenal (between 1996 and 2018) that made it more difficult to go from one club to another. Today, I ask myself if I was wrong in not taking Lyon, in May 2019, when it was offered to me.

Why did you reject Lyon?

I was not ready. It felt too early to jump back in. I hadn’t totally finished the mourning. I had Sylvinho (Lyon’s manager until autumn 2019) on the phone, he called me a little while ago. He suffered from his experience at Lyon because he is a sensitive guy.

It has been 2 years since you stopped. Is it liberating or a regret?

Liberating. I spent so long in this job… And I never did things in half-measures. From the morning to the evening, seven days out of seven, I only did this. So, I can appreciate a form of freedom.

Is freedom as good as you were hoping it would be, or a bit less good?

The good thing is not being pressed for time. What is less good, is not having clear objectives. That, that is difficult. What is less good, too, is to have completely cut the cord with the club where I built each stone. In the morning, you get up, you want to go to the training centre and you can’t, it is finished. When you bought the pitch, chose the spoons and forks, that is not easy.

Your modesty deprives us, in the book, of your final day at Arsenal…

It was a day where I had prepared myself to block emotions. 20 years of your life that are ending… Everything that I learned in my job as a manager allowed me to survive that moment, to control my emotions. When I started this job, I suffered so much physically that I never thought that I would make it. So, the day of my departure, I wanted to be up to the task. Not to crack, to show that I was handling it. It was afterwards that it was hard. Arsenal, it is my home. And the day after, to no longer be at home, that is not easy. I went in alone, to get my things the week leading up to our last match away from home, at Huddersfield (1-0). Since that match, I have never been back to the Emirates, nor Colney (the training centre). It was a real breakaway, in the sentimental sense.

Are you recovering?

Time is a very good doctor, but my love for the club has not disappeared. The pain not totally either. Me missing football has not either. Max Hild, who gave me a leg up at Strasbourg, told me that when he stopped managing, it took him two years to get over it. It is a delay that is roughly normal. I am seeking to live with the missing piece rather than waiting for [that sensation] to disappear. When I am contacted, I struggle to completely say no, and to renounce being part of that world. I need for it to still be possible. I cannot yet say: it is over. But, at the same time, the longer this goes on, the more difficult it is to come back.

How will you go back to Arsenal? How will you choose which day to do so?

Go to a game, take it easy. I have often received offers to come back. But I think that the club is in a phase of reorganisation, my former players are in the process of taking control. We will have to see how that goes and things will happen naturally. For the moment, I am not ready to do it (go back).

How will you come back into football one day?

I have not left it, I am at the heart of football! But I am not longer at the heart of results. If I come back onto the pitch, I think that it will be with a national team. But it is no longer an obsession for me, I live through football differently, without being ready for a fight every Saturday. If desire takes me there, the shortest and most reasonable path would be with a national team. At club level, I gave, and as I am someone who does long-term projects, it will become more and more difficult for me. The next 22 years will be the most difficult (smiles).

In your book, you give three keys to judging a player: control of the ball, taking a decision, executing on a decision. Do you continue to watch matches like that?

If we take the final between Bayern & PSG (23rd August, Champions’ League), I found, for example, that the Bayern players were constant in the quality of their decision-making. And the speed of being available following ball recovery, they always want the ball, even at 1-0. Not being influenced by the score in decision-making is vital in football at the highest level. But when I see a player, I try to see his intelligence through the decisions he makes.

You also cite the number of times that a player at the highest level takes in information before receiving the ball, compared to an average player…

That is the difference. The number of times that a player takes in information before. You see it, because he has a solution immediately available to him. We all know that you have to take in information, but what is interesting, in the study that I did, is the number of times that he takes information in before receiving the ball. A great player takes it in between six to eight times, and a good player between four to six times. But sometimes, in matches, I showed FIFA examples of great, well-known players who only look at the ball.

In the book, you describe the loneliness of the manager. Now that you are no longer managing, do you feel less lonely or a bit more lonely?

Sometimes, yes, I feel more lonely, because I am no longer doing urgent and important things on a daily basis. But I am less lonely in my life with family and friends, because I have more moments to share with them. But the lonely moments are more numerous and longer. It is difficult to live through this change in my life. At Arsenal, when I arrived, I already has three guys waiting for me. And now, I have nothing.

Is one of your reasons for stopping the difficulty you had with contending with the losses?

When you are not able to advance the club on the European level, that is difficult to contend with. But I continue curse our unfavourable draws, Barcelona, Barcelona, Barcelona and then Bayern, Bayern. Only one time we did not have one of those two, we had Monaco and we got done like idiots (1-3, 2-0 in 2015). Even though Monaco had a good team at the time. The draw, it matters, we saw that with PSG this season in the Champions’ League. Les Parisiens can have regrets, but I think they overestimated their semi-final against Leipzig (3-0).

Defeat, then…

Each defeat leaves a scar in my heart. We are all halfway between the love of victory and the hatred of defeat. But I really don’t like losing. I can explain how it happens, this guy who didn’t stick his foot in, the other guy who did a bad cross, the goalkeeper who should have gotten it… to the point of going crazy! That was a dominant trait in my career, the pain of defeat. It is also one of the reasons that meant I didn’t just dive back in. I am sure that your health pays a major price. After conceding a goal, I sometimes felt like my arteries were clogging. I finished with 58% wins, around 20% draws and 20% defeats: to lose 1 match in 5 is already tough. But I think about the guy who wins 1 match in 5!

In the book, when you choose not to cite names, is it out of contempt or resentment?

Neither. But it would be more out of contempt (smiles). What I take from the book, and my life, is that with a bit of luck, you can have a superior life to the one you imagined, and that it could be interesting to share what one has learned. That humans could do a lot better, but also can surprise you in a good way. What stays with me is not the enmities or the pettiness.

But do you overlook the fact that when you were Monaco manager you were undoubtedly robbed of titles?

Yes. But what can I do about that today?

You had the choice between saying it and not saying it.

I can say it, but how can I prove it? And then, the majority of the players implicated in it are really struggling today… At the end of the day, everyone lives with their values. Things are going pretty well, but you cannot take a different path in life. It is better not to dwell on all the guys who caused your problems because otherwise you end up frustrated and angry.

During your 36 years as manager, how many of those years brought you happiness?

In general, I was really happy to do this job. But the moments of intense joy, they amount to 2% to 3%. Those flashes are rare. You are happy in the evening when you win. If happiness is loving the life we lead, I was happy. Moments of joy are something else. But it happened to me to be in training where the team was playing at an incredible level, and where I said to myself that I would pay to see that. Having got to know life outside of football now, if I was to start life again tomorrow, I would become a manager again, and do the same, for 40 years.

One of your last lines in the book is: “I am convinced that there are only incomplete lives.” What have you not finished yet?

There are loads of things that I did not win as often as I would have liked to, others that I did not win at all, but also a lot of things that I neglected, notably my family. All lives are incomplete, by definition, you cannot succeed at everything.

You have notably said no to Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, PSG and the French national team. Is that a regret?

Yes, still. They are truly great clubs. Jean-Claude Blanc also wanted me at all costs to go to Juve. It is a regret, but also a source of pride, to have served my club until the end, to have gone right to the end of the project. That means more to me than all the titles. I am the manager who stayed for the longest at Monaco, seven years. I was therefore made for this type of loyalty. I am also someone who has an intrinsic motivation. I always want to better myself and people like me want to do their job as they see fit. I am not sure that I could have done this job in the same way at Real Madrid.

Was it hard to talk about yourself in this book?

Yes. Very difficult. I don’t like it. I am shy. I am from a generation where we did not talk about ourselves. I have never been very prominent in the press, nor very present in the media outside of my job. It was tough. But writing this book is also a way for me to say: my job as a coach is over. This is why I refused before. Ageing is not a weakling’s business (smiles).

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
So you don't have to give GFFN clicks:
Yet in real life, cultural differences, in the long time, will be much more difficult to fight against than racism.

This man sees so far ahead of his time... I genuinely wish I was rich enough to book an interview/session with him.

Have never looked up to anyone more than I do him... This is what a celebrity should be.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Why would Wenger have a connection with the club? The club as we knew it is dead, Wenger was the constant and now he’s gone.

It’s just a business now, the owner doesn’t really care and the rest of the staff are trying to keep their heads above the water.

Arteta is now the face, but he’ll be gone soon.
Theres never been a more perfect marriage than this club and Arsène

Arsène - Arsenal... This was honestly meant to be. As you said, our club died the moment we hung him... We lost our soul at Highbury but we burried our heart and identity when we turned on the classiest manager ever.

Been sleeping on this thread, a lot to read.

Thanks to all who have supplied the links, feel like my fingers will hurt if I end up liking everyones post :eek:ops:

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
What a lovely read and what an exceptional man. His departure from the club was obviously very hard for him and losing two siblings at the same time must have added to that. Happy that he seems to be doing well though, still hope to see him back managing a club or national team. Very touching when he describes how his love for the club is still the same but also a bit sad when he says has no connection to the club anymore. Hopefully he will have his statue and stand named after him soon. We will never see anyone like him again.

Last edited:

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
What a lovely read and what an exceptional man. His departure from the club was obviously very hard for him and losing two siblings at the same time must have added to that. Happy that he seems to be doing well though, still hope to see him back at a club. Very touching when he describes how his love for the club is still the same but also a bit sad when he says has no connection to the club anymore. Hopefully he will have his statue and stand named after him soon. We will never see anyone like him again.
We fans have been crying out for the Stadium to be renamed in his honour, have a statue etc... Even the most vocal against him would not dare go against those wishes.

We need to honour him and keep his image relevant for future generations. Can't wait to get this book and read it to my kids one day.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We fans have been crying out for the Stadium to be renamed in his honour, have a statue etc... Even the most vocal against him would not dare go against those wishes.

We need to honour him and keep his image relevant for future generations. Can't wait to get this book and read it to my kids one day.

The Emirates Stadium just isn't the name of a league championship winning side's home ground, sad but true...

The Arsène Arena though :drool:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
When you are not able to advance the club on the European level, that is difficult to contend with. But I continue curse our unfavourable draws, Barcelona, Barcelona, Barcelona and then Bayern, Bayern. Only one time we did not have one of those two, we had Monaco and we got done like idiots (1-3, 2-0 in 2015)

image.jpg

Robert+Giroud+Arsenal+v+Monaco+FC+mVvTAWqlhEhl.jpg

Why

Always Me ?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54513321

Makes me laugh people saying Wenger was past it. His brain is as sharp as ever and his ideas to change the game are more modern than most people can handle.

Was a really good article, his Biography came out today and ive got it ordered. Always wanted to see what he was really thinking when AFTV was hounding him out to get some Youtube views and sell some bs merchandise. Plus what it was like trying to get Merson/Adams to not drink the night before a game.

Arsène is a legend, who has one of the best skills possible... Common sense.

That whole BBC article makes complete sense. Even the Throw In discussion. Weirdly something that really annoys me with Arsenal, we seem really crap at them... so slow, and nobody makes space. I know its an odd thing, but the more I notice it the more it annoys me.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom