• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mertesacker Retires From Int'l Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Mertersacker has just retired from International football at the age of just 29.

Great news.

gstew

Re: Hats off to Per Mertesacker

Leaving German NT as World Cup Champion and saving himself for Arsenal. Great move Per!!!

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse

Young but **** internationals anyway. At least we don't have fear losing him to injury in int'l friendlies.

Anfield 1884

AM's Resident Liverpool Fan

There's no better way for a Pro to bow out of International football other than as a Champion of the World. I don't know just how fit he is, but relaxing for the full 8 weeks when others are battling it out in Euro competitions and World Cups would only be a good thing for his Arsenal career.

He'll probably be at the Emirates until 35 or so.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator

Great move by Merte, he's reached the top with Germany and isn't the youngest anymore, so I'm fully on his side in that regard.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Unexpected move, but a smart one.

Over 100 caps and World champion, an international career to be proud of.

Suave Gooner89

Established Member

I wonder if the birth of his son had anything to do with this?

He'll now be able to spend international breaks at home with his family.

Anyway, surprising but welcome news; but from Germany's perspective it's a huge blow - lost Lahm and Per in the space of a month.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

He probably figured that pissing about joining up squads when you're second choice in games that matter is a mugs game. He just won the WC and it wont get better than that. Wise choice.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member

Vinci said:
Unexpected move, but a smart one.

Over 100 caps and World champion, an international career to be proud of.

And for others to be envious of. The man couldn't have timed it better. Yes, he might have stayed for the Euros, but its a World Cup and as you say, over the Ton for International Caps.

Happy he's made the choice, its a great move for his club career.

arsmile

Established Member

was initially surprised- he's not even 30..

but when you think about it- what more has he got to achieve?

and if you look who Germany has at CB- he is making that decision for the good of Germany too, he's not first choice automatically anymore and those younger players will need to get in the side

and certainly not complaining because it means he's all ours!

I'd be thinking of doing something similar if I was podolski now that i'd seen that. they're the same age and in a similar position...call it a day on your own terms rather than find yourself left out of squads

mind you the difference is he probably needs to leave himself open to get minutes from anywhere- and you're more likely to utilise him from the bench I suppose

Caz19

arsmile said:
was initially surprised- he's not even 30..

but when you think about it- what more has he got to achieve?

and if you look who Germany has at CB- he is making that decision for the good of Germany too, he's not first choice automatically anymore and those younger players will need to get in the side

and certainly not complaining because it means he's all ours!

I'd be thinking of doing something similar if I was podolski now that i'd seen that. they're the same age and in a similar position...call it a day on your own terms rather than find yourself left out of squads

mind you the difference is he probably needs to leave himself open to get minutes from anywhere- and you're more likely to utilise him from the bench I suppose

Podolski has no need to quit really since he's not a starter for club or country anyway and will need any minutes of playtime he can get.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I hope this is one in the eye for all those lazy Premiership pundits like Carra who've said he's not top class and too slow to compete at the top. Per will retire a World Cup winner and 8th in the all time German cap list. He's won more caps than Beckenbauer, compare that to Jamie Carragher's England record.

darkgunner

Mertesacker will probably come out of retirement for the 2016 Euros along with Klose.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Over 100 German caps, just won the WC and pushing 30 - a perfect time to bow out at the top for his country and look to preserve his club career.

Anzac

Established Member

Rex Banner said:
I hope this is one in the eye for all those lazy Premiership pundits like Carra who've said he's not top class and too slow to compete at the top. Per will retire a World Cup winner and 8th in the all time German cap list. He's won more caps than Beckenbauer, compare that to Jamie Carragher's England record.

This.

Anzac

Established Member

GDeep said:
Over 100 German caps, just won the WC and pushing 30 - a perfect time to bow out at the top for his country and look to preserve his club career.

And this.

The stage is set for our BFG to become a bona fide club legend as much as the likes of McLintock, O'Leary, Adams, Keown, Bould, Campbell.

:respect

DasBootist

If I'd have known the man loved Arsenal so much, I'd have wanted him at the club years ago.

Top player with a class attitude!

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Anzac said:
Rex Banner said:

This.
Well said Rex couldnt put it better myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom